AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and bought my first 4K set, a Sony x900E I’d been spying at Best Buy. When the price finally dropped to $2500 I couldn’t help myself. I bought a 4K Roku to go along with it because we stream a large portion of our content in my house. Paired up with my Marantz AV7701 and newly purchased Krell 5 channel amp I was ready for the excitement to begin… :)

That is, until, I got the dreaded ‘your system does not support HDCP 2.2 message when I tried to set-up the Roku. Shame on me for not following along more closely, but obviously no device will pass 4K unless ALL components in the chain support HDCP 2.2, which the 7701 does NOT, much to my chagrin. :(

Other than purchasing a new processor, what are my options? I was looking at HDM switches on-line yesterday but I am still unclear how to get the audio back to the Marantz. Would I have to use an optical connection from the switch to the Marantz? (I hate optical).

It’s probably time for a new processor but a) I haven’t had the Marantz that long and it’s in great shape, and b) I have spent a lot of money over the last 6 months on my 2-channel set-up and budget just won’t allow the new Marantz (I love Audyssey) right now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
You've pretty much answered your own question. Yep... everything has to be 2.2 compliant. Thanks, Hollywood.

Thing is, the design cycle for a lot of today's newer 2.2-compliant receivers happened when there weren't a lot of devices to test them with. So, were I you, I'd connect everything 4k directly to the display and use its optical-out for your audio or try the switch route you mentioned. Then wait for the next round of 2.2 receivers to hit the market. The bugs should be out, by then. Well, most of them.

Keep receipts

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I assume the optical output would go into Digital Audio In 1 in the 7701? The TV plays the role of a switch routing digital audio from selected input to the Marantz. Of course this means I can't use the upscaler in the Marantz which I think is pretty good.

Freaking movie industry, screwing it up for us audio/video philes...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Welcome to the AV world. Every few years a new version of HDMI comes out and makes your old HDMI ports obsolete.

I don't notice much difference between toslink and HDMI. Going from basic 5.1 to the higher codes isn't that much of a leap. Particularly if your receiver upmixes everything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome to the AV world. Every few years a new version of HDMI comes out and makes your old HDMI ports obsolete.

I don't notice much difference between toslink and HDMI. Going from basic 5.1 to the higher codes isn't that much of a leap. Particularly if your receiver upmixes everything.
Thanks very much for the reply. I have some pretty high end HDMI cables (I know that could yield another long thread about whether they're actually better than any other HDMI cable). I'd hate to have to put them aside to use Toslink. The only device I have in the house connected with optical is my Chromecast that streams internet radio to my 2-CH system. Then there's the fact that Toslink won't pass hi-rez audio...

My buddy just asked me why they didn't warn me about this when I bought the set at Best Buy. I bet him $20 if I asked the guy that sold me the set about HDCP 2.2 vs HDCP 1.4 he would have no idea what I was talking about. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the replies. :)

I decided to buy a Marantz AV-7004 that I'm having dropped off tomorrow. My understanding is that it's not really much of an upgrade to the 7003 but I got a pretty good deal on it. The difference between the 7003 and the 7004 was about $300 when you factor in I don't need to have it shipped.

I am assuming the Audyssey set-up is similar to my 7001. I really wanted the bigger Marantz but I couldn't justify it since I have a separate 2-CH system so the processor would be used for movies only. I also couldn't afford the bigger one right now since I bought a pair of REL G1s for my 2-CH setup and had to lie to my wife about how much I have been spending. :D :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts