AVS Forum banner

HDCP 2.2 - should I wait?

884 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  htpcforever 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am a musician who loves stereo! However I have three boys who crave HDMI inputs! Looking to replace my venerable Kenwood 5.1 and ran into the HDCP 2.2 fog. I called three A/V stores here in sunny Australia to ask : "If I buy a receiver without HDCP 2.2 today; will I regret it in 12 months?" They all made up some answer. So I would like to ask you, if that's ok.

1. I buy a non-HDCP 2.2 receiver.
2. In 6 months time, I buy a new Bluray player and a new 4K TV.
3. I buy a new Ultra HD movie disc, put it into my player and it says "no"

Is this a real scenario? With what sort of probability as in - very possible or hardly likely?

I have the chance to buy an Integra DTR-50.2B at a good price and I don't want buyers remorse. However normally my budget for an A/V receiver would be $750 max.

Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

#3 ·
If you are buying a 4k tv in 6 months absolutely wait that long for a 2.2 compatible receiver.
Every brand should have the low end and midrange models out by then. Don't buy a receiver
unless it will handle the video switching internally.

If you weren't upgrading to a 4k display right away I would buy a higher end 2013/14 model
for barely above 1/2 list price. That Integra is similar to what i'm talking about, but a little old
at 4 years and Onkyo/Integra was plagued with heavy hdmi board failure rates that year.
Don't buy it. http://www.soundandvision.com/content/integra-dtr-502-av-receiver

#4 ·
Most 4K sets are inferior to plasma or OLED. I'd not worry about it for the time being. There's also next to no 4K content available. The chances of you finding 4K blurays to rent will be slim to none since they'll be incompatible with all of the currently existing bluray players.

#5 ·
UHD Blu-ray is supposed to be out later this year so I would expect all major Blu-ray releases to have UHD versions available soon after.

To the OP...
If you're worried about UHD compatibility then wait until a few months and get a receiver you know will work. I would guess all new receiver models will support HDCP 2.2. They may not support it at the fastest speeds but they'll work fine with basic UHD blu-ray.

#6 ·
The major AVR brands will release multiple AVRs with 2.2 HDCP capability this Fall in the USA and Europe..
These will be announced @ IFA and CEDIA in September...
Don't really know about down-under, my estimate would be early 2016...

Wait...
It doesn't make much sense to buy an obsolete AVR...

Just my $0.02... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.