AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. anybody started an FAQ yet on HDCP? (Am I the only one who always wants to type that DHCP?)

Mine today is:

Is EVERYTHING going to be downresed when coming out of a DVI port? Or just those things that satellite guys mark?

My reasoning: If they just mark things like new pay per view, I'm ok. If they don't mark the typical 'old' scifi showes I watch on the scifi channel, then hey, I'm cool.

All hearsay, I guess. I just bought a 32" 1080i capable set, because I have no TV at all, and wanted good DVDs.

Alas, what a world,

Byron

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I don't think there is a reason to assume a priori that everything will be downrezed. In the earlier DTCP license, it was in fact required to downrez the analogue output when copy protection is enabled. But in the latest document, the "downrez" bit and the "copy protection" bit are separate, so it is at least technically feasible to enable copy protection but continue to allow hi rez analogue output. Also included in the side agreement is essentially the requirement that, if the downrez bit is enabled, then CGMS (the current downrez standard built into most stb's) have to be enabled as well.

The above are the facts. My own speculation is that the downrez bits will be enabled only if and when analogue consumer HD recording devices become available.

------------------

Alex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.