AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly starting to understand HDCP. Just one more question. I have a PJ with a non-HDCP DVI input. I understand that most of the new DVD players with DVI or other digital outputs will be HDCP compliant and will not "handshake" with my PJ. I am wondering if the same will be true for the newer D* HD STBs and the D* HD Tivo ? Currently, my HD200 works fine through DVI to the PJ.

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me rephrase this question: If I hook a D* HD Tivo to my non HDCP projector using DVI, will I get a picture from non-HDCP content ? What is confusing me is the content vs hardware aspect of hdcp.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Sounds like a good question, but since the HD TiVo is not out yet (other than beta test) maybe no one can answer yet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From what I've heard, many if not most of this first generation of HDCP-enabled products simply hard-code the DVI output to require an HDCP peer at all times, regardless of how the content is flagged.

I would be very, very surprised if you could get anything better than 480p from the HDTivo's HDMI port with a non-HDCP display device attached. You might consider asking this question over on the TivoCommunity HD Tivo board, on the off chance that TivoPony might chime in with an answer:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...?s=&forumid=36

-T.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.