AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on this forum but not found what I want to know.

I believe that HDCP & HDMI are compatible with each other is this correct?

E.G.: If I buy a Denon DVD-A11 & the HDCP output gets enabled can I connect this to the HDMI input on a Pioneer PDP-504HDE, I know that HDMI carries sound & HDCP doesn't.

What I really want to know is will I get a picture

I know this is probably a newbie question & I apologise if the answer is already on this site I just haven't found it.

Your help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
HDCP is a copy protection scheme. Hdmi is a form factor for connectors, like DVI, or Component.

To my knowledge all HDMI connectors will be HDCP, so you need to be certain that your display is HDCP compatible, otherwise you cannot view using your digital inputs, like HDMI.

Make sense??

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
What Cain said. DVI is a form of HDCP. So is HDMI. But HDMI allows for the passage of audio info too. HDMI is kind of like "version 2.0" of DVI.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I just re-read your question. You can buy DVI to HDMI cables, with a DVI connector on one end and an HDMI connector on the other end.

DVI can be with out without HDCP though, so be certain your TV accepts HDCP encoded input, whether it accepts an HDMI input or DVI input.

There are two DVD players available that output non-HDCP through their DVI connections, but al the big boys will definitely encode their digital output with HDCP.

Good luck!!

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Cain:

Question: If I have an HDMI source device and my display is DVI, I understand that there are conversion cables that allow me to hook up the source VIDEO to my display VIDEO via a DVI connection. What happens to the AUDIO? How do I get the audio (hopefully digital) to my receiver?

Thanks.

·
23,030 Posts
nmilan,

For the next product cycle or two, HDMI output equipped players

will also have coax/optical outputs. Manufacturers aren't totally

brain dead. :) It would not surprise me if coax/optical outputs stayed

around for even longer except for some of the high end players.

Players could switch over to 2 HDMI outputs, one for video, one

for audio.

larry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help guys, I thought this was the case I just needed to have it confirmed

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.