AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, opinion in the other forums is leaning toward my Z2 being the troublemaker here, so it's time to throw this one to the projector gurus.

I'm having an issue with the HDCP flag and intermediate DVI equipment (switches, extenders, etc.). Here are the scenarios; all connections are DVI or HDMI->DVI cable, and I have tried a number of different cables. Z2 is 1.06 firmware, input is DVI set to AV-HDCP.

1) HD DirecTivo (HR10-250) -> Sanyo Z2 projector = HDCP Enabled on the HR10-250 status screen, DirecTV HDCP test channel (201) shows fine.

2) HR10-250 -> intermediate device ->Z2 = HDCP Not Enabled on the HR10-250, channel 201 says "you can't do that, blah, blah". Still a beautiful picture on the non-flagged channels.

and I seem to remember this one working:

3)My old Sony HD300 -> intermediate device -> Z2 = beautiful DVI picture. This one is interesting because the HD300 was notorious for not even activating the DVI output unless it saw HDCP compliance.

I've tried scenario 2 with:

DTronics DS-41R 4x1 DVI Switch

Gefen HDTV Extender (the blue one that's supposed to pass HDCP)

Zektor DVS5.1 5x1 DVI Switch

I'm confused and frustrated with this, and I don't know which piece of equipment to blame or which direction the whole HDCP thing "flows". Other people have reported that the HR10-250 works in this scenario, although I don't know what displays they have. The fact that #2 doesn't work but #3 seems to work sort of points to the HR10-250, but again the fact that others aren't having issues points back to the Z2.

After chasing this for months it is starting to look like something is causing the Z2 to not "advertise" its HDCP compliance. I was hoping my new Zektor switch would have the nice side effect of fixing this problem, but no luck. Any ideas? I suppose it isn't a big deal at the moment, since there isn't much HDCP-protected content, but if I can't get it solved by tax refund time then that I may be forced to upgrade my projector. That would be such a bummer. :)

- Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It turns out that somewhere in the 2 HDTivo RMAs, several power outages, and who knows what else, the projector DVI input had been set to PC instead of AV-HDCP. Doh! I know I checked everything the last time I did this, though, so it was either the new HDTivo (September build date) or the new Zektor switch that did it, maybe both.

On the down side, now I lost my excuse to upgrade. :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
bpmueller,

As a fellow Z2 owner thanks for the update... this PJ does seem finicky about its HDCP.

Could you please tell us your final connection scenario (all sources -> intermediate devices ->Z2). Any info about what other devices you found to work, or not work, would with HDCP also be appreciated.

I don't need this info now... but might latter. I sense a DVI switch in my future!

Thanks much,

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.