AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember 2 years people were saying don't buy youyr Pioneer RPTV because it doesnt have Firewire or HDCP. Its been 2 years now and the TV is gone. 2 years from now I will be saying the same thing. It will not happen people! Consumers have the last say. Just ask the recording industry.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Seriously, what are you talking about. This post feels like it's missing some sentences.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just some people worrying about wether their monitor has HDCP like the NEC XM2. Im saying its not going to be an issue any time soon.

·
Registered
950 Posts
lifo, you say.."its not going to be an issue any time soon."

I'm just curious, how can you make that assumption?

Technology is changing so fast, I'd really like to get some more ideas on this, or are you just basing this on the past 2 years?

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Uh huh, but what if they are keeping their display for 5 years? Can you promise then it won't be an issue?

What if they start using HDCP for HD Pay Per View? What if DirecTV decides its just easier to have the set-top boxes turn on HDCP all the time? Oh, wait, you'll use the component inputs... But what if you don't want to? What if you want an upscaling DVD player from a major brand?

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>Im saying its not going to be an issue any time soon.

·
Registered
950 Posts
"It's already an issue"

I agree!!! It's a valid point to consider!

But. Oh God, another BUT!!!

As Rogo pointed out...........

What if they start using HDCP for HD Pay Per View? What if DirecTV decides it's just easier to have the set-top boxes turn on HDCP all the time?

Oh, wait, you'll use the component inputs... But what if you don't want to? What if you want an upscaling DVD player from a major brand?

Sounds like tooooooooo many options>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What if we band together, tell the tech people who are developing these new "ongoing" technologies, to go f**k themselves, and see what shakes out.

We all know what's not going to happen, ...orrrrrrrrrrrr.............................

do we, as early adopters of this tech stuff, try to get these people to adopt a technology that we can *ALL* live with, and spend our $$$ on?!!!!!!!!!!

The more I read, the more confused I get!!

VB

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Here, let me make it simple: Buy a display with HDCP. Rest easy. Be future proof.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi
tell the tech people who are developing these new "ongoing" technologies, to go f**k themselves, and see what shakes out.

We all know what's not going to happen
It's happening with copy protected CDs and disposable DVDs

Quote:
try to get these people to adopt a technology that we can *ALL* live with, and spend our $$$ on?
I don't want to live with, or spend my $$$ on HDCP. They can take HDCP and shove it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
As much as HDCP is a technology that is limiting, your choice to not purchase an HDCP compliant product is even more limiting to you. What are you going to do in another two or so years when all DVI and HDMI non-PC source transmission is HDCP-only?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
What are you going to do in another two or so years when all DVI and HDMI non-PC source transmission is HDCP-only?
why, litigate of course; this is America!

here's an idea for a thread: a poll of people on the forum who would consider joining a class action suit if their equipment becomes forcibly obsolete within 3--5 years. besides, the FCC has already mandated backward compatibility.

what I haven't seen discussed, based on comments from other threads, is how the cable companies can't seem to get their HDCP boxes to function properly. it's still possible that the idiots at Intel haven't gotten this tech to properly work, which could be a problem for adoption. then again they have the rest of the year to work out the bugs.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>the FCC has already mandated backward compatibility.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"... is how the cable companies can't seem to get their HDCP boxes to function properly. it's still possible that the idiots at Intel haven't gotten this tech to properly work..."

It's the engineers who build the displays and the set-tops, not Intel.

HDCP requires skill to implement properly and some people in the business lack skill, unfortunately.

Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
"It's the engineers who build the displays and the set-tops, not Intel.

HDCP requires skill to implement properly and some people in the business lack skill, unfortunately.
it's my understanding that HDCP involves a chip designed and manufactured by Intel. it's therefore their responsibility to ensure that the companies that need to implement this tech have the proper information to do so. if they have done this and there's a problem then it's very possible that the tech itself is flawed, which is what I was wondering about. knowing Intel's past history this is not improbable.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Uh huh, but what if they are keeping their display for 5 years? Can you promise then it won't be an issue?

What if they start using HDCP for HD Pay Per View? What if DirecTV decides its just easier to have the set-top boxes turn on HDCP all the time? Oh, wait, you'll use the component inputs... But what if you don't want to? What if you want an upscaling DVD player from a major brand?

Just curious.
Stop buying from Direct (ripp off) TV if they don't want to respect our fair use rights. The consumer will have the last say if we decide to use our power. HDCP is a bad idea, its so anti-consumer friendly its unbelievable so may consumers are buying into it.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lifo
I remember 2 years people were saying don't buy youyr Pioneer RPTV because it doesnt have Firewire or HDCP. Its been 2 years now and the TV is gone. 2 years from now I will be saying the same thing. It will not happen people! Consumers have the last say. Just ask the recording industry.
We as consumer should boycott products that use extensive copy protection tools like HDCP.

I don't want hear about a bunch of gazillionaires losing money to pirating, they are just greedy, greedy, greedy paranoid corporations and I refuse to support their greed.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
As much as HDCP is a technology that is limiting, your choice to not purchase an HDCP compliant product is even more limiting to you. What are you going to do in another two or so years when all DVI and HDMI non-PC source transmission is HDCP-only?

The question is, what are you going to do? Are we as consumers going to continue act like serfs and the content/CE industry act as our fuedal lords or are we going to rise up and tell them what we want or they can take Copy Protection products and shove it their---beep----!!

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skunkworks
why, litigate of course; this is America!

here's an idea for a thread: a poll of people on the forum who would consider joining a class action suit if their equipment becomes forcibly obsolete within 3--5 years. besides, the FCC has already mandated backward compatibility.

what I haven't seen discussed, based on comments from other threads, is how the cable companies can't seem to get their HDCP boxes to function properly. it's still possible that the idiots at Intel haven't gotten this tech to properly work, which could be a problem for adoption. then again they have the rest of the year to work out the bugs.

I'M ALL THE WAY WITH YOU ON A LAWSUIT!!

·
Super Moderator
21,437 Posts
HDCP has been discussed here for years

please discuss merits of a boycott/lawsuit on some other forum: but not here:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.