AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What HDD recorders allow you to record something and watch a previously recorded program on the hard drive at the same time? My father just picked up a Lite0n from Costco which he seems to like, but it won't allow him to watch a recorded show and record at the same time. He also can't watch a DVD and record at the same time...so those are two big marks against it in my books.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/0

I'm surprised. I thought all DVDRs with HDD let you watch something on the HDD, while recording something else. My Pio 640 certainly does. Same goes for watching a DVD while recording to HDD.

Just cirious. Does it let you burn a disc while recording to the HDD? I'm wondering if this is common as well.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0

Just cirious. Does it let you burn a disc while recording to the HDD? I'm wondering if this is common as well.

IT will let you use the "disc backup" function, while recording to HDD. That means you can do a high speed scan of a -R or +R SL disc, record it to the HDD, and then burn it back to a second disc, at high speed, while recording to the HDD! That surprised the heck out of me. But, you can't burn a disc from the normal HDD, while recording to the HDD. The "disc backup" function seems to have it's own special segment of HDD.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:

IT will let you use the "disc backup" function, while recording to HDD. That means you can do a high speed scan of a -R or +R SL disc, record it to the HDD, and then burn it back to a second disc, at high speed, while recording to the HDD! That surprised the heck out of me. But, you can't burn a disc from the normal HDD, while recording to the HDD. The "disc backup" function seems to have it's own special segment of HDD.

Interesting. I just found out that a DVD recorder I have lets me burn material from the HDD to a disc while it is recording something to the HDD. I was surprised to find this out. Having never tried it before I was wondering if other recorders did it as well.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:

That's odd...I copy HDD titles to DVD all the time while recording to the HDD of my 640.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My father is looking at the Pioneer 540...so it looks like a possible winner. Any user impressions on the menu systems of the 640? He needs it to be quite easy...which the LiteOn actually was.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil /forum/post/0

My father is looking at the Pioneer 540...so it looks like a possible winner. Any user impressions on the menu systems of the 640? He needs it to be quite easy...which the LiteOn actually was.

I think the menus in my 640 are excellent. A purist might complain that Timer Recording takes three keystrokes...Home Menu, Timer Rec., Timer Rec...to get into, but I don't mind. Once in that menu, very easy to program a recording. Some users buy the 53x/63x series remote which has a direct Timer Rec. button, which I think makes it a single key stroke...not really a big deal.

All the menus are pretty intuitive and straightforward. I don't think your father will have any problems with using the 540...and he'll be esp. pleased with the quality, reliability, and customer service (should he need it)!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My Pioneer 633 can:
  • record to HDD while playing back another program,
  • record to HDD while editing another program on the HDD, and
  • record to HDD while burning a DVD.

What it can't do is finalize a DVD while recording to the HDD. You can burn the DVD and ask it to finalize when done, but if it happens to be recording when the time comes for the finalization it just skips it. You have to manually finalize it later.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/0

My Pioneer 633 can:[*]record to HDD while burning a DVD.

What it can't do is finalize a DVD while recording to the HDD. You can burn the DVD and ask it to finalize when done, but if it happens to be recording when the time comes for the finalization it just skips it. You have to manually finalize it later.

Well, I'll have to try that with my 640. Perhaps it will do it. But, more than once when I have started to burn a DVD, I have gotten a warning message saying that my timer recording would not start while doing it. But, maybe that is a special case, and I usually DO set it to finalize automatically.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/0

I think the menus in my 640 are excellent. A purist might complain that Timer Recording takes three keystrokes...Home Menu, Timer Rec., Timer Rec...to get into, but I don't mind. Once in that menu, very easy to program a recording. Some users buy the 53x/63x series remote which has a direct Timer Rec. button, which I think makes it a single key stroke...not really a big deal.

Wow! I never took my 640H out of it's plastic bag, so I had no idea the, "TIMER REC," button was not on it.

I use my old 531 (53x/63x) remote, but the previous year's 420/520H remote will work with the 640H, too. All my program scheduling is via the TIMER REC button.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.