AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2555 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
So in others terms : you would only use HDR+Lumagen DTM if you would have a Radiance pro in your setup ?

What's comes for sure is that Lumagen let you customize the DTM to your preferences and that's sweet.

We just don't know what happens on the oppo side when it comes to source DV to LLDV "conversion".

2nd to that, the pictures from LLDV through diva into HDR to the Lumagen (with / without DTM there) looks a bit different in terms of color.
That might also be due to the EDID I pick on the Diva or gamma correction. I understand having 2 tone mapping is not optimal but if the results might be superior that worth testings and I need more time to be able to say which one I prefer.

I wish Lumagen woud support native Dolby vision which at the end of the day is giving the best results see
(I can confirm as I own 2 times an oppo and LG C8). What a pity projectors don't support DV given the high Rec.2020 color coverage and high lumens we can see on laser projector those days that would make things simplier :)

Best regards,
So in others terms : you would only use HDR+Lumagen DTM if you would have a Radiance pro in your setup ?

I wish Lumagen woud support native Dolby vision which at the end of the day is giving the best results
Correct If I had a Lumagen or a MadVR Envy, I would not have any need for LLDV. I would have either of them do dynamic frame by frame tone mapping of both disc and streaming based HDR content.

Very unlikely that Lumagen or Envy will support Dolby Vision any time soon. Dolby Labs has it locked down tight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is there a preferred chain for the Diva or Vertex 2 placement based on having a newer AVR that supports DV?
I have it between the Sony M2/Roku Ultra inputs and the Denon.
However, I have lost some functionality in the Denon mobile app with controlling other device settings upstream.

Also, when I pause a movie in the Roku, with the Diva in-line, the movie is kicked out and Roku goes back to homescreen.
Anyone else dealt with this?

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Is there a preferred chain for the Diva or Vertex 2 placement based on having a newer AVR that supports DV?
I have it between the Sony M2/Roku Ultra inputs and the Denon.
However, I have lost some functionality in the Denon mobile app with controlling other device settings upstream.

Also, when I pause a movie in the Roku, with the Diva in-line, the movie is kicked out and Roku goes back to homescreen.
Anyone else dealt with this?
It should make no difference placing the Diva/Vertex2 in front or behind the Denon. I place my Diva after my Denon X6400H with all the players connected to the Denon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It should make no difference placing the Diva/Vertex2 in front or behind the Denon. I place my Diva after my Denon X6400H with all the players connected to the Denon.
Tried this at lunch today.
Yeah, I like the Diva post AVR set up better.
The Denon mobile app controls the M2 much better with a direct connection; plus I like having sound external to the Diva. One less thing to mess with.
It's also nice to visually see the Denon showing DV in and DV out on my screen, even though it's pretty much eye candy 🤓

The only downside is handshake issues occur on all the auto play tiles in apps such as Netflix, which is really annoying.

It's probably my mind playing tricks on me but the DV quality seems better post AVR too.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Until they do support DV then LLDV to HDR is the best and only option.
Ok thank you for your answer.
Amother question, in the past you mention "ambilight" may support plain DV (and not just LLDV) in the future. What's the status of that feature ? Is this something we might expect in a near future fw release ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ok thank you for your answer.
Amother question, in the past you mention "ambilight" may support plain DV (and not just LLDV) in the future. What's the status of that feature ? Is this something we might expect in a near future fw release ?
I have not heard plain DV ambilight will be coming at all. I honestly do not think its possible but like always I could be wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not heard plain DV ambilight will be coming at all. I honestly do not think its possible but like always I could be wrong.
Actually I am playing with the philips hue sync box and ambilight work with both DV and LLDV. That would be great and from one of your older post I thought engineering was working on it ... :/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Until they do support DV then LLDV to HDR is the best and only option.
Not sure when they introduce "enhanced DV support" but that seems to be effective with it, I put my oppo TV led with no issue.
Edit: After some more testings if appears even in that mode (force TV Led on the oppo side). The philips hue make it "downgrade" to player LED so in the end you are right.
I thought by forcing the oppo it may downgrade DV into HDR but not into LLDV.
As a result, I still get no "raw" DV support in RGB8bits with philips hue sync in the current fw release.
I can get DV pass trough the philips hue sync but in that case, just like with the Diva, the ambilight does not work :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Got the odd ambilight white intermittent flashing last night (Diva version). Was on Netflix/DV/AppleTV 4K.
Seemed to only flash on the lower, bottom strip.
Running fw 0.78.14 V2
BB Detect disabled

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure when they introduce "enhanced DV support" but that seems to be effective with it, I put my oppo TV led with no issue.
Edit: After some more testings if appears even in that mode (force TV Led on the oppo side). The philips hue make it "downgrade" to player LED so in the end you are right.
As a result, I still get no "raw" DV support in RGB8bits with philips hue sync in the current fw release.
I can get DV pass trough the philips hue sync but in that case, just like with the Diva, the ambilight does not work :(
Yes DV must pass straight from the source to the tv for decoding. Ambilights cannot work with straight DV.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Got the odd ambilight white intermittent flashing last night (Diva version). Was on Netflix/DV/AppleTV 4K.
Seemed to only flash on the lower, bottom strip.
Running fw 0.78.14 V2
BB Detect disabled
I would try see if the black bar detect changes this.
Please enable and test.
Also if you have issues try rebooting the diva to see if this helps.
If you have issues it will be best to upload the config file from the diva.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would try see if the black bar detect changes this.
Please enable and test.
Also if you have issues try rebooting the diva to see if this helps.
If you have issues it will be best to upload the config file from the diva.
Will do. I will first enabled BB and see how it goes. If still an issue, I will do the reset.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
If you set the Oppo to TV-led, but use LLDV EDID 5 or 10 in the Diva (or Automix with DV Flag), the Oppo will send Player-led LLDV. It won't send TV-led RGB unless it sees support for it in the EDID presented to it. You would need to use a full DV EDID like EDIDs 2 and 3 in order for the Oppo to send TV-led RGB.

The Oppo will never down-grade DV to HDR. It will play the HDR10 base layer of Dolby Vision discs as HDR10 if the display does not support Dolby Vision, but it never down-grades the Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
My Diva seems to be incorrectly reporting 10-bit 4:2:2 input as 422 12b. I see this with an Nvidia RTX 3080, a Samsung UBD-M9500 Bluray player, and a VideoForge Pro hardware pattern generator. 10-bit 4:4:4 input is correctly reported as 444 10b.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
My Diva seems to be incorrectly reporting 10-bit 4:2:2 input as 422 12b. I see this with an Nvidia RTX 3080, a Samsung UBD-M9500 Bluray player, and a VideoForge Pro hardware pattern generator. 10-bit 4:4:4 input is correctly reported as 444 10b.
The Diva is not able to determine bit depth for 4:2:2. It is assumed to be 12-bit. 4:2:2 10-bit is not included the HDMI 2.0 spec.

I am fairly certain the Samsung player, like all players I own, will always output 4:2:2 at 12-bit even if the player's bit depth option is set to 10-bit.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
4:2:2 10-bit is not included the HDMI 2.0 spec.
The HDMI 1.4b spec, Section 6.2.3, says "If an HDMI Sink supports either YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4 then both shall be supported." and Section 6.6 Table 6-3 clearly lists 10-bit YCbCr.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
The HDMI 1.4b spec, Section 6.2.3, says "If an HDMI Sink supports either YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4 then both shall be supported." and Section 6.6 Table 6-3 clearly lists 10-bit YCbCr.
Whether a player can send 4:2:2 10-bit is beside the point. HDfury devices like other consumer devices are unable to report the bit depth for 4:2:2 signals.

Neither my JVC projector nor my Denon X6400H AVR report bit depth for 4:2:2 input, but do for other chroma. The Denon user manual even documents that no bit depth is reported for 4:2:2.

I have misplaced a link to a post made by @HDfury where he explained why.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Whether a player can send 4:2:2 10-bit is beside the point. HDfury devices like other consumer devices are unable to report the bit depth for 4:2:2 signals.
Your assertion was that 4:2:2 10-bit is not in the spec, which is incorrect. But to respond to myself, the wire format of 10-bit 4:2:2 has each value effectively multiplied by 4, so it can be processed by the sink as if it were 12-bit 4:2:2. Since 4:2:2 pixel format does not make use of Deep Color pixel packing, the source does not send General Control packets containing color depth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes DV must pass straight from the source to the tv for decoding. Ambilights cannot work with straight DV.
Received a appletv 2021 Friday. While I face lot of sync issue with tvos 14.5, upgrading to beta 14.7 fix most of them (except some <1sec random audio loss).
I assume that device is too new to be part of the diva edid database and be identified as AppleTV (the name field in Info tab / source is empty).
Please let me know if I can help there or when a new release will be available.

2481 - 2500 of 2555 Posts