AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 2549 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Received a appletv 2021 Friday. While I face lot of sync issue with tvos 14.5, upgrading to beta 14.7 fix most of them (except some <1sec random audio loss).
I assume that device is too new to be part of the diva edid database and be identified as AppleTV (the name field in Info tab / source is empty).
Please let me know if I can help there or when a new release will be available.
It is up to the source device to provide a name in a SPD (Source Product Description) Infoframe. If the player doesn't send it the Diva can't display a name.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is up to the source device to provide a name in a SPD (Source Product Description) Infoframe. If the player doesn't send it the Diva can't display a name.
Hello @claw I tought it was fingerprinted by the Diva.

In case the SPD would be missing, it would be wonderful to be able to create or overwritte it !

Actually some devices
are correctly named in Diva and that info is also used by my TV so I can switch using my TV remote (thank to CEC?) between Diva's input.
The Apple TV got a generic name of DVD player (Lecteur DVD on the picture); that's confusing especially if you've got 2 devices with "empty" SPD.

@hdfuryhelp @HDfury would that be a feature request you may consider ?

·
Registered
662 Posts

In case the SPD would be missing, it would be wonderful to be able to create or overwritte it !

Actually some devices View attachment 3137228 are correctly named in Diva and that info is also used by my TV so I can switch using my TV remote (thank to CEC?) between Diva's input.
The Apple TV got a generic name of DVD player (Lecteur DVD on the picture); that's confusing especially if you've got 2 devices with "empty" SPD.

I am not sure if naming a device is possible. As it has been requested before. I suspect it is not possible or it would have been added.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

Actually some devices are correctly named in Diva and that info is also used by my TV so I can switch using my TV remote (thank to CEC?) between Diva's input.

Export a config file from the Diva while playing content from your various devices. Look for field names beginning with "spd". They contain the device description included in the Source Product Description Infoframe sent by the player. You will see that some source devices provide a name while others are null.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure if naming a device is possible. As it has been requested before. I suspect it is not possible or it would have been added.
I may try to create a ticket at Apple (not sure that will change anything) but still that would be a nice feature for the Diva.

Between, I have another issue with the new apple tv 4k connected to the Diva which goes to the SN11RG soundbar -> TV (this avoid any lip sync issue I may get is plugin the diva to the TV and then rely on ARC).
From time to time I got audio loss usually that recovers within 1sec but sometimes it doesn't.
I track the issue down to what seem a negotiation issue at the Diva level.
When that happens and for some reasons, Diva is receiving LLDV from the Apple4k 4:2:2 12bits but outputs RGB 8bits. Rebooting the diva fix it but that's not convenient. Any idea ?

Thanks again, best regards,

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I may try to create a ticket at Apple (not sure that will change anything) but still that would be a nice feature for the Diva.

Between, I have another issue with the new apple tv 4k connected to the Diva which goes to the SN11RG soundbar -> TV (this avoid any lip sync issue I may get is plugin the diva to the TV and then rely on ARC).
From time to time I got audio loss usually that recovers within 1sec but sometimes it doesn't.
I track the issue down to what seem a negotiation issue at the Diva level.
When that happens and for some reasons, Diva is receiving LLDV from the Apple4k 4:2:2 12bits but outputs RGB 8bits. Rebooting the diva fix it but that's not convenient. Any idea ?
View attachment 3137305
Thanks again, best regards,
Check that you don't have any custom scaling configured for 4K60.

There is a known bug where the TX1 output may not be reported correctly on the Info page if the OSD is configured to report RX values instead of TX. But I have not encountered a similar bug with the TX0 reporting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check that you don't have any custom scaling configured for 4K60.

There is a known bug where the TX1 output may not be reported correctly on the Info page if the OSD is configured to report RX values instead of TX. But I have not encountered a similar bug with the TX0 reporting.
Scaling on the diva is disable.
I tend to think it's an appletv 4k gen. 2021 issue (especially when config in 60Hz Dolby mode) given the number of problems I had bfore upgrading to the beta trunk in 14.7.
Nonetheless the reporting in the diva still looks strange when that happens (change from lldv to rgb on tx0 and "stick" to that except forcing a renego (what a reboot does :) ).
Actually, I have "downgraded" the signal to 60hz SDR (instead of DV) and enabled framerate & dynamic range matching to see it that helps as a workaround to that sound issue. The issue is that with this 2 options when I switch between apps or movies in different ranges I've got long handshake periods and this is embarassing.
Anything I can do to speed up those HDMI handshakes ?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Scaling on the diva is disable.
I tend to think it's an appletv 4k gen. 2021 issue (especially when config in 60Hz Dolby mode) given the number of problems I had bfore upgrading to the beta trunk in 14.7.
Nonetheless the reporting in the diva still looks strange when that happens (change from lldv to rgb on tx0 and "stick" to that except forcing a renego (what a reboot does :) ).
Actually, I have "downgraded" the signal to 60hz SDR (instead of DV) and enabled framerate & dynamic range matching to see it that helps as a workaround to that sound issue. The issue is that with this 2 options when I switch between apps or movies in different ranges I've got long handshake periods and this is embarassing.
Anything I can do to speed up those HDMI handshakes ?
You can update the diva with firmware I am sending via pm to see if it helps speed up the handshakes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can update the diva with firmware I am sending via pm to see if it helps speed up the handshakes.
Yes I am also having issues with the new AppleTV 4K 2021… everytime a movie starts playing, the sound mutes for about 2-3 seconds, so annoying! Any fix for this? It didn’t happened with the previous AppleTV 4K… any help is appreciated thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes I am also having issues with the new AppleTV 4K 2021… everytime a movie starts playing, the sound mutes for about 2-3 seconds, so annoying! Any fix for this? It didn’t happened with the previous AppleTV 4K… any help is appreciated thanks!!
Hello, lot of my issues leave within the apple 4k. Did you uograde to 14.6 or 14.7 beta to see if that helps ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
@hdfuryhelp to help solve my long handshake sync issue; I am trying to put the diva straight to the ARC port of the TV and put it in CEC audio processor mode. Instead of connecting the diva TX0 out to the sound bar thus having one less hop / device on the path to the display.
The results is a much faster "startup" time to 1st picture (12sec vs 26sec).

This gives:
AppleTV 2021 (HDMI IN 0) -> Diva TX0 <-> TV ARC PORT
Diva Audio only out -> LG Soundbar HDMI 1 (the HDMI ARC port does not work as expected in that setup).

I get audio/sound in that setup and can switch to TV tuner (which is passing sound using ARC to the diva then soundbar)
My issue is that I am loosing any (CEC) volume control (TV remote, source remote).

TV is correctly set to ARC and I can see the currect volume logo while pressing the remote volume button but that has no effect on the soundbar meaning the Diva does not pass that information on audio out or the LG soundbar does not take CEC on any port except ARC ?
With the AppleTV4k as source, the remote has no effect on the sound volume.

If I connect the LG Soundbar to Diva TX1 (instead of audio out) I get no sound from TV, got sound from Diva HDMI inputs but still cannot control audio volume.
I assume ARC audio is only passed to the Diva audio out ?

Please let me know if that's supposed to work ?

I would prefer not leave the ARC connected to the SN11RG as the soundbar sticks to it by default (returns to ARC by default on every power cycle) and does not change to HDMI1 when I change TV source to the Diva which means I have to use 2 remotes, the soundbar one just to change it's input and avoid lip sync issues.

Thx, regards,

Update: SL8YG HDMI
So this means diva is "slow" compared to the TV and as the ARC port goes UP before the Diva connected to HDM1 on the sound bar, it mooves to it.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't know if this is the same issue but I've been having an audio issue lately only when watching content on Apple TV+ on my ATV4k (first gen, not the new one). At least half the time when I start a show it has no audio at all. I have to exit playing and start again. This has happened from both selecting a show and autoplaying the next episode in one of their series. This is only happening to me in the ATV+ shows. It hasn't happened when using Amazon, Infuse, etc. I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it yet but my gut was saying it's Diva related. Have any of you guys run into this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Diva HDMI audio output cannot pass CEC commands as it is not an ARC port. That can only be done via ARC connections.
Actually this looks like the Diva globally re-handshakes any time an attached device is changing its state. Is this right ?
This is also true if TX1 goes up, the link on TX0 is lost / re-established which tooks 10sec. This is annoying as source source goes into pause.

If so, would be nice (in my setup) not to re-handshake links which have already been handshaken less than a given period.
That may avoid the soundbar to fallback to its ARC port.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just picked up one of these, and it's been wonderful so far. My use case is running 4k (both SDR and HDR) sources through a matrix to multiple devices including two 1080P OLED PVMs.

The HDR to SDR conversion is perfect, and 4k HDR rips off plex look incredible. However my two other sources (PC and PS4 Pro at 4k) display video but text is very jagged. I've tried Chroma 4:4:4 sampling and RGB (both limited and full, switching the setting accordingly on my monitors) but see minimal change. Is there a scaling setting (or other settings) to help with this? I'm glad to take a picture. I understand 4k text converted to 1080 may never look perfect, but wanted to check first.

Appreciate any help, I look forward to reading through a little bit more of this thread every day ha.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@hdfuryhelp to help solve my long handshake sync issue; I am trying to put the diva straight to the ARC port of the TV and put it in CEC audio processor mode. Instead of connecting the diva TX0 out to the sound bar thus having one less hop / device on the path to the display.
The results is a much faster "startup" time to 1st picture (12sec vs 26sec).

This gives:
AppleTV 2021 (HDMI IN 0) -> Diva TX0 <-> TV ARC PORT
Diva Audio only out -> LG Soundbar HDMI 1 (the HDMI ARC port does not work as expected in that setup).

I get audio/sound in that setup and can switch to TV tuner (which is passing sound using ARC to the diva then soundbar)
My issue is that I am loosing any (CEC) volume control (TV remote, source remote).

TV is correctly set to ARC and I can see the currect volume logo while pressing the remote volume button but that has no effect on the soundbar meaning the Diva does not pass that information on audio out or the LG soundbar does not take CEC on any port except ARC ?
With the AppleTV4k as source, the remote has no effect on the sound volume.

If I connect the LG Soundbar to Diva TX1 (instead of audio out) I get no sound from TV, got sound from Diva HDMI inputs but still cannot control audio volume.
I assume ARC audio is only passed to the Diva audio out ?

Please let me know if that's supposed to work ?

I would prefer not leave the ARC connected to the SN11RG as the soundbar sticks to it by default (returns to ARC by default on every power cycle) and does not change to HDMI1 when I change TV source to the Diva which means I have to use 2 remotes, the soundbar one just to change it's input and avoid lip sync issues.

Thx, regards,

Update: SL8YG HDMI
So this means diva is "slow" compared to the TV and as the ARC port goes UP before the Diva connected to HDM1 on the sound bar, it mooves to it.
If you use the hdmi audio out then CEC will not work for the soundbar volume as the hdmi audio out of the diva does not support CEC.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know if this is the same issue but I've been having an audio issue lately only when watching content on Apple TV+ on my ATV4k (first gen, not the new one). At least half the time when I start a show it has no audio at all. I have to exit playing and start again. This has happened from both selecting a show and autoplaying the next episode in one of their series. This is only happening to me in the ATV+ shows. It hasn't happened when using Amazon, Infuse, etc. I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it yet but my gut was saying it's Diva related. Have any of you guys run into this?
You can also test firmware via pm to see if it helps you.

2501 - 2520 of 2549 Posts