AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1789 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
FYI, what Jason is reporting is similar to what I sent last fall with with AppleTV screen savers flashing. It seemed to have gotten better but still happens once in awhile with them. It seems to usually happen on the ISS flyovers where an edge is mostly black and the earth is starting to hit the light trigger zone.

I think I've seen it playing videos in Infuse and YouTube on it also. I thought it was the channel Home Theater Gurus that it happened. He has a bunch of videos in front of a white board with a black boarder and his head going into the margin was causing it. I've spot checked a few of them and haven't reproduced yet. I'll let you know if I can find a sample.
No, if that screensaver is not live streaming, then it have NOTHING to do with what we are talking here.
But the solution we will implement for this issue will fix that too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My issue seems to track with @DesertDog's observations.

ATV4K -> Denon 3400 -> Diva -> LG B7

I've been noticing it using Infuse to watch 1080p TV programs (Fringe is one that we're noticing a lot of flashing). It seems to usually happen with zoom shots of 2 or 3 characters where the picture and characters do move but not significantly. Sometimes it almost seems like the LEDs are focusing in on one tiny part of the screen that isn't close to the edge which is bright white while ignoring the majority of the screen area.

It sounds like this isn't related to the streaming issue reported earlier but hopefully it will get fixed in the process.

Thanks again for the amazing support @HDfury. Everything is working really well except for small issues like this.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
My issue seems to track with @DesertDog's observations.

ATV4K -> Denon 3400 -> Diva -> LG B7

I've been noticing it using Infuse to watch 1080p TV programs (Fringe is one that we're noticing a lot of flashing). It seems to usually happen with zoom shots of 2 or 3 characters where the picture and characters do move but not significantly. Sometimes it almost seems like the LEDs are focusing in on one tiny part of the screen that isn't close to the edge which is bright white while ignoring the majority of the screen area.

It sounds like this isn't related to the streaming issue reported earlier but hopefully it will get fixed in the process.

Thanks again for the amazing support @HDfury. Everything is working really well except for small issues like this.
If you find any streaming service showing issue, please try what i wrote above:

Now on those making issue, watch closely your TV and hit pause anytime during playback, do you see your TV picture taking some time to fully freeze ?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Now on those making issue, watch closely your TV and hit pause anytime during playback, do you see your TV picture taking some time to fully freeze ?
I tried this with that same Community clip on my Apple TV to try to understand what you mean. I didn't notice anything about the picture taking time to freeze. But what I did notice is that after the UI faded away, the LEDs started flashing, even with the image paused. Is that what you were expecting?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I tried this with that same Community clip on my Apple TV to try to understand what you mean. I didn't notice anything about the picture taking time to freeze. But what I did notice is that after the UI faded away, the LEDs started flashing, even with the image paused. Is that what you were expecting?
Wait i'll upload a clip in next hours and show you, just finishing some support requests first.

EDIT: Ok, here you go: https://streamable.com/1rmd3s

Now watch this folks, the picture is paused !!! so WTF is this ? the entire image is flickering and of course the leds are flickering with the image. so there is something odd in the compression used by streaming device/service, something VERY odd !
This is of course present on TX0 and TX1 (it is more visible on TX1 because downscaling and processing prolly amplify the effect), it is like the image flickers for two seconds or so after you hit pause and then lessens drastically but something still there flickering.
this is there and present ALL THE TIME during that show, but TV averages it but LEDS don't average anything so the flicker. It is like all scenes have this kind of "dither" but then TV settles and averages it out.

Bottom line: our leds are WAAAAYY too fast ! they react frame by frame and catch things your eyes cannot really see unless you hit pause and see the mess this stream is all about.
So we will add some sliders to delay reaction and it will fix it, but those streaming services have a really serious problem with their quality, needless to say. This is just insane.

This is 100% proven in incoming video and TV averages it. It's very clear when you hit pause, it takes some seconds for the image to freeze.
If you don't catch it from TX0, try TX1 first, once you see it on TX1, then go back to TX0 and you will be able to spot it too.

This is actually why i asked to check stream quality settings, may be it happens when there is heavy requests on their server, may be cause of covid19 bandwidth reduction (having read they are limiting the bandwidth in many countries) who knows... but at the end, this is crap stream quality, nothing else.

Reactions: DesertDog

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wait i'll upload a clip in next hours and show you, just finishing some support requests first.

EDIT: Ok, here you go: https://streamable.com/1rmd3s

Now watch this folks, the picture is paused !!! so WTF is this ? the entire image is flickering and of course the leds are flickering with the image. so there is something odd in the compression used by streaming device/service, something VERY odd !
This is of course present on TX0 and TX1 (it is more visible on TX1 because downscaling and processing prolly amplify the effect), it is like the image flickers for two seconds or so after you hit pause and then lessens drastically but something still there flickering.
this is there and present ALL THE TIME during that show, but TV averages it but LEDS don't average anything so the flicker. It is like all scenes have this kind of "dither" but then TV settles and averages it out.

Bottom line: our leds are WAAAAYY too fast ! they react frame by frame and catch things your eyes cannot really see unless you hit pause and see the mess this stream is all about.
So we will add some sliders to delay reaction and it will fix it, but those streaming services have a really serious problem with their quality, needless to say. This is just insane.

This is 100% proven in incoming video and TV averages it. It's very clear when you hit pause, it takes some seconds for the image to freeze.
If you don't catch it from TX0, try TX1 first, once you see it on TX1, then go back to TX0 and you will be able to spot it too.

This is actually why i asked to check stream quality settings, may be it happens when there is heavy requests on their server, may be cause of covid19 bandwidth reduction (having read they are limiting the bandwidth in many countries) who knows... but at the end, this is crap stream quality, nothing else.
This is pretty interesting. It suggests that when you pause a video on a streaming service, it doesn't stop streaming; it just sends the paused video continuously. I would have thought it would just freeze the frame locally and stop the stream.

In any case, it sounds like the solution will be a good improvement, even beyond this glitch. Sometimes with fast camera movements or quick cuts, I find the LEDs flashing too fast to be distracting. It might be nice to have a way to smooth them out a bit in general. I'm also hoping maybe for a way to sync them up with the input lag of my TV. They currently seem to be slightly ahead of the picture. Or at least I think that's what's happening. It's hard for me to perceive in real time which is ahead; I can just tell they're slightly off.

Sorry, I'm probably the pickiest customer to use this feature yet. I'll keep nitpicking if you let me.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
This is pretty interesting. It suggests that when you pause a video on a streaming service, it doesn't stop streaming; it just sends the paused video continuously. I would have thought it would just freeze the frame locally and stop the stream.

In any case, it sounds like the solution will be a good improvement, even beyond this glitch. Sometimes with fast camera movements or quick cuts, I find the LEDs flashing too fast to be distracting. It might be nice to have a way to smooth them out a bit in general. I'm also hoping maybe for a way to sync them up with the input lag of my TV. They currently seem to be slightly ahead of the picture. Or at least I think that's what's happening. It's hard for me to perceive in real time which is ahead; I can just tell they're slightly off.

Sorry, I'm probably the pickiest customer to use this feature yet. I'll keep nitpicking if you let me.
Not exactly, it means the compression is so intense that there is missing color information between frames and display have to average it and this you can see happening in real time when you pause the stream, if the frame was correct there would not be any of that. (Time it takes can be more or less depending of the TV processing power i suppose, our test was on samsung 4K UHD TV and LG C9 stabilize way faster and hard to spot on TX0)

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Diva FW 0.70.0.12

This update is mandatory in case of issue.
Anyone willing to update and provide feedback is welcome.

######### What's new on FW 0.70.0.12 #########

1. Added EDID #10 default with Mark LLDV BT2020

2. Replaced EDID #5 name with Sony A1 DCI-P3

3. Changed the way how OLED turns on with events to prevent burn-in. Now oled needs either a button press or RX signal to become active.

4. Updated OLED Menu tree and added RESET in it (full factory reset)

5. Updated OLED FADE setting so that if user tries to set 0 seconds then it convertes to the default 30sec (burn-in prevention)

6. Fixed DV creator page primaries javascript

Download link: https://hdfury.com/tools/Diva_FW_0.70.0.12.zip

Make sure to refresh your browser after update: CTRL + F5 or clear your internet cache.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
This update is mandatory in case of issue.
Anyone willing to update and provide feedback is welcome.

######### What's new on FW 0.70.0.12 #########

1. Added EDID #10 default with Mark LLDV BT2020

2. Replaced EDID #5 name with Sony A1 DCI-P3

3. Changed the way how OLED turns on with events to prevent burn-in. Now oled needs either a button press or RX signal to become active.

4. Updated OLED Menu tree and added RESET in it (full factory reset)

5. Updated OLED FADE setting so that if user tries to set 0 seconds then it convertes to the default 30sec (burn-in prevention)

6. Fixed DV creator page primaries javascript

Download link: https://hdfury.com/tools/Diva_FW_0.70.0.12.zip

Make sure to refresh your browser after update: CTRL + F5 or clear your internet cache.

Thank you for #6 this drove me bonkers while I configuring LLDV > HDR10 conversion.

Reactions: claw and HDfury

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Thank you for #6 this drove me bonkers while I configuring LLDV > HDR10 conversion.
Yes sorry for that, went fully unnoticed till now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Help educate an ignorant mind: what is the technical difference between Low-Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) and Dolby Vision (DV)? It's such a basic question, I feel embarrassed to ask, but my googling skill were not up to the challenge to get to the bottom of it. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Help educate an ignorant mind: what is the technical difference between Low-Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) and Dolby Vision (DV)? It's such a basic question, I feel embarrassed to ask, but my googling skill were not up to the challenge to get to the bottom of it. Thank you!
LLDV processing is done by the source, so display have less to do, hence the low latency.
DV processing is done by the display, so display will have higher input lag before offering the resulting pic.

Reactions: bjorg

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,682 Posts
LLDV processing is done by the source, so display have less to do, hence the low latency.
DV processing is done by the display, so display will have higher input lag before offering the resulting pic.
Just thinking out loud here, but isn't the end result the same and it's really just a matter of whether the source or display does the processing? If one or the other has a faster chipset, that would presumably make a difference in any perceived latency.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but isn't the end result the same and it's really just a matter of whether the source or display does the processing? If one or the other has a faster chipset, that would presumably make a difference in any perceived latency.
Well there is many others factors, but no one asked me any details, just the general principle and that is it.

Now in practice, you can balance the load in LLDV, so some LLDV display will make a bit more processing (like LG) while other won't mostly do any at all (like Sony A1)
Then LLDV source also use Dolby Algo in chipset that effectively beat any display in processing time but some purists said that real DV is a bit better, once again, i suppose it depends of the TV.
So too many parameters to average anything really. One point people seems to agree on is that DV (in either LLDV or DV form) is superior to HDR10.

Reactions: jorgebetancourt

·
Registered
462 Posts
Got it. Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

my use case is an Ambilight solution with a Raspberry...

For Input I have a 4k50 SDR TV Box (german Telekom Magenta TV) and an Apple TV4k.

TX0 is connected to a Sony KD-55XD8005 (4k60HDR)
TX1 is connected to a video grabber connected to the Raspberry, which controls the ambilight LEDs.

I had the very same setup running via a simple 4k60 Matrix switch with downscaler. Everything was working great, but the missing of an HDR to SDR conversion did make the ambilight very faded for HDR content from the Apple TV.

Therefore I updated to the DIVA. In general this setup works really great and I got what I was looking for (all set to factory defaults).

But I have also some problems maybe connected:

no matter if the TV Box is serving the input or the Apple TV and no matter, at which refresh rate, HDR or SDR: the TX1 output sometimes "stalls" with a display connected it looks like one half of the screen is flickering to white. This is also visible if connected to the ambilight which flickers as well. This occurs very unpredictable. Sometimes everything is okay for an hour, sometimes it is flickering every few minutes.
I also had similar effects on TX0, the TV is turning black and new syncing to the signal. This happens very rarely, but if it happens, it happens again after some minutes.
If I reboot (or RESET) the DIVA, the problem on TX0 is going away for some time, the problem on TX1 is at least gone or better for some time.

I don't think it is a problem with the other equipment, as it works fine with just the DIVA replaced by the cheap switch.

I assumed a heat problem, but the box is not hot at all. Also it sometimes happens directly after turning the system on, and even without turning it off a reboot helps for some time.

I tried different firmwares (DIVA was delivered with a 0.58) and looked good but I updated after a few minutes to 0.68, after the problems started (very heavy) I downgraded to 0.58 again, as the same problems where there, I updated again, problems were less, but still there. Today I upgraded to 0.70. The problems are very seldom for now, but still happened a few times.

Does anybody the same or similar issues? Is this a known problem? Any suggestions, what to do to investigate it further? Any updates planned to solve this, if it is known?

Thank you very much,
Lars

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Hi,

my use case is an Ambilight solution with a Raspberry...

For Input I have a 4k50 SDR TV Box (german Telekom Magenta TV) and an Apple TV4k.

TX0 is connected to a Sony KD-55XD8005 (4k60HDR)
TX1 is connected to a video grabber connected to the Raspberry, which controls the ambilight LEDs.

I had the very same setup running via a simple 4k60 Matrix switch with downscaler. Everything was working great, but the missing of an HDR to SDR conversion did make the ambilight very faded for HDR content from the Apple TV.

Therefore I updated to the DIVA. In general this setup works really great and I got what I was looking for (all set to factory defaults).

But I have also some problems maybe connected:

no matter if the TV Box is serving the input or the Apple TV and no matter, at which refresh rate, HDR or SDR: the TX1 output sometimes "stalls" with a display connected it looks like one half of the screen is flickering to white. This is also visible if connected to the ambilight which flickers as well. This occurs very unpredictable. Sometimes everything is okay for an hour, sometimes it is flickering every few minutes.
I also had similar effects on TX0, the TV is turning black and new syncing to the signal. This happens very rarely, but if it happens, it happens again after some minutes.
If I reboot (or RESET) the DIVA, the problem on TX0 is going away for some time, the problem on TX1 is at least gone or better for some time.

I don't think it is a problem with the other equipment, as it works fine with just the DIVA replaced by the cheap switch.

I assumed a heat problem, but the box is not hot at all. Also it sometimes happens directly after turning the system on, and even without turning it off a reboot helps for some time.

I tried different firmwares (DIVA was delivered with a 0.58) and looked good but I updated after a few minutes to 0.68, after the problems started (very heavy) I downgraded to 0.58 again, as the same problems where there, I updated again, problems were less, but still there. Today I upgraded to 0.70. The problems are very seldom for now, but still happened a few times.

Does anybody the same or similar issues? Is this a known problem? Any suggestions, what to do to investigate it further? Any updates planned to solve this, if it is known?

Thank you very much,
Lars
Check your PM and update your unit with the firmware i sent by PM, if still problem after that, please export config when issue happens.
MAKE HARD RESET of the unit after firmware flash if you have tried many firmwares.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I updated to the fw from the PM (and did a hard reset). Unfortunately the flickering still occurred. (I did not see the re-synch for TX0 so, but this happend only twice in 3 or 4 weeks). So I went back to the official fw.

I saw another thread about a similar problem in another forum. The user said he was able to eliminate the flickering with exchanging the power supply from one of the other components. I will try this as well, even if I have the very same setup running without any problems (as described before), I want to make sure this is not the case here as well.

So if you have any further ideas, any advice is appreciated. In the meantime I will try to eliminate all other possible sources for this problem as well.

Thanks,
Lars

1401 - 1420 of 1789 Posts