AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1547 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey HDFury, I know it’s not out yet, but the specs are available. Any idea how the PS5 might play with the Epson 5040 using the Linker?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey All!

Just got my shiny new HDFury today and successfully updated it to the latest firmware.

Sadly, I cannot change anything in the Linker Utility. It says "Error Writing values" for everything I've tried, including resetting to factory.

Attached is a photo.

I'm using the 4.0.0 driver on W10 with the GUI that goes along with that. I've closed/reopened it multiple times, rebooted, etc. No love.

Any ideas on what to try next?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
There is no more any drivers to install on WIN10, you connect any of our devices and WIN10 will install drivers from the internet and you can run utility or update from 3.9.2 directory.

So just go in program files and remove any reference to silabs, silicon laboratories, usbxpress
Reboot pc without Linker attached, Connect Linker after reboot and let windows install driver from internet, then use 3.9.2 directory. Redo update and then retry GUI (make sure you run GUI from the same directory where you ran the updaters)

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is no more any drivers to install on WIN10, you connect any of our devices and WIN10 will install drivers from the internet and you can run utility or update from 3.9.2 directory.

So just go in program files and remove any reference to silabs, silicon laboratories, usbxpress
Reboot pc without Linker attached, Connect Linker after reboot and let windows install driver from internet, then use 3.9.2 directory. Redo update and then retry GUI (make sure you run GUI from the same directory where you ran the updaters)
On my machine, I could flash the firmware but it could not write EDID values. It seems like it saved 2 settings, but that is it.

I moved it over to another Win10 machine, installed the 3.9 driver with the v3 Linker Utility and it worked perfectly.

The machine where it did not work has all USB 3.1 ports, not sure if this matters. I used USB 2.0 on the other machine and it worked as expected.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Can we use the linker to force a custom resolution which the display does not natively support out of the box, but I can get working through windows CRU tool, is there such thing as exporting the EDID and import to linker so device can use it downrange? Including CVT-RB settings etc ?

For eg, CRU tool seems to come up with a possibility.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Can we use the linker to force a custom resolution which the display does not natively support out of the box, but I can get working through windows CRU tool, is there such thing as exporting the EDID and import to linker so device can use it downrange? Including CVT-RB settings etc ?

For eg, CRU tool seems to come up with a possibility.
If the display does not natively support a resolution, you can't be sure it will accept until you try it.
What do you mean by exporting the EDID exact ? from a display ? if yes, you need to sniff it and Linker can do that, if you mean something else, please elaborate.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
If the display does not natively support a resolution, you can't be sure it will accept until you try it.
What do you mean by exporting the EDID exact ? from a display ? if yes, you need to sniff it and Linker can do that, if you mean something else, please elaborate.
I am able to use windows to send a custom resolution to my projector, in my case in order to get 72 and 96hz working but at reduced resolution heights vs 1080p.

With the knowledge that the resolution does work and my display will accept the custom res, can I use an edid or something to be able to make that resolution show up as available in other devices (not windows) by using the linker somehow.

So can the linker catch the edid from windows while sending that resolution to the display or so.ething and then can I store it on the linker so I can use that res from other source devices.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I ordered a HD Linker for Epson 5040UB projector hoping to resolve the washed out color I am getting when playing back HDR sources. Is there a guide on how to configure the HDfury manually for best playback of 4K HDR sources on the Epson?

Currently I have the following sources connected to Yamaha RX-A2070 and out to Epson 5040UB using a 15 feet Monoprice Hi speed cable.
1. ATV 4K
2. Nvidia Shield pro 2019
3. Nero 4K+
4. Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

What signal should I set the above sources to for best HDR and SD playback? My main goal is to get HDR playback correctly on the Epson. While I would like to preserve the 4K resolution but if I had to give up resolution for HDR color, I would be ok with that since my screen size is 110" and I am sitting 15 feet away. Plus I can engage the AI upscaling on the Nvidia or would the AI benefit be lost in the conversion process in the HDfury linker?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I am able to use windows to send a custom resolution to my projector, in my case in order to get 72 and 96hz working but at reduced resolution heights vs 1080p.

With the knowledge that the resolution does work and my display will accept the custom res, can I use an edid or something to be able to make that resolution show up as available in other devices (not windows) by using the linker somehow.

So can the linker catch the edid from windows while sending that resolution to the display or so.ething and then can I store it on the linker so I can use that res from other source devices.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Linker can SNIFF EDID from a display and you can load custom EDID to Linker, but if you are expecting other source than a graphics cards to send something else than what the source is capable for doing, then of course that will never work.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I ordered a HD Linker for Epson 5040UB projector hoping to resolve the washed out color I am getting when playing back HDR sources. Is there a guide on how to configure the HDfury manually for best playback of 4K HDR sources on the Epson?

Currently I have the following sources connected to Yamaha RX-A2070 and out to Epson 5040UB using a 15 feet Monoprice Hi speed cable.
1. ATV 4K
2. Nvidia Shield pro 2019
3. Nero 4K+
4. Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

What signal should I set the above sources to for best HDR and SD playback? My main goal is to get HDR playback correctly on the Epson. While I would like to preserve the 4K resolution but if I had to give up resolution for HDR color, I would be ok with that since my screen size is 110" and I am sitting 15 feet away. Plus I can engage the AI upscaling on the Nvidia or would the AI benefit be lost in the conversion process in the HDfury linker?
I cannot help with settings your sources, only Linker and in your case, you must refer to quick preset and apply the one that match your display which is number 3 if i recall well.
So hold RST button and press INP button 3 times and you are done.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I cannot help with settings your sources, only Linker and in your case, you must refer to quick preset and apply the one that match your display which is number 3 if i recall well.
So hold RST button and press INP button 3 times and you are done.
Thanks HDfury. I wanted to play around with the GUI setting and arrive to some optimal custom settings for all my sources. I will start with the preset 3 and go from there. If I can't make Linker work for all my sources, I will return it and buy the Vertex or Integral 2. I want a set and forget solution for all my sources to display HRD correctly on Epson 5040UB. In your opinion, would I benefit by upgrading to Vertex or Integral 2 for my setup? Thanks

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Thanks HDfury. I wanted to play around with the GUI setting and arrive to some optimal custom settings for all my sources. I will start with the preset 3 and go from there. If I can't make Linker work for all my sources, I will return it and buy the Vertex or Integral 2. I want a set and forget solution for all my sources to display HRD correctly on Epson 5040UB. In your opinion, would I benefit by upgrading to Vertex or Integral 2 for my setup? Thanks
Yes, Vertex1 or Integral2 are way better device than Linker. and Vertex2 or Diva even more.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
1521 - 1540 of 1547 Posts