AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is the inconsistency across the entire grayscale and colors, or more specific?

In my experience with the Manual Calibration workflow in HDR, CalMAN silently enables Full Screen Pattern Insertion behind your back when you get to the Meter Positioning page. If you've been working with it enabled, you might try disabling it to see if it makes any difference.
It seems more specific. The inconsistently is in the mid range of the greyscale and the lighter colors. That's also where the errors are.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I assume you're using 10% Windows for HDR. I'd try with Pattern Insertion disabled.
I finding that after every color i calibrate i need to re read white and black to verify the calibration accuracy.

This CMS also seems to drastically effect the other colors. Sdr doesn't do that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dunno, maybe just a limitation of that model.
So I noticed something while calibrating yellow. I was sweeping from 25%-75% to balance out the CMS. So when you're on the lower colors the local dimming effects the color patch quite a bit. 25% yellow was closer to white than yellow and it looked like white, it looked nothing like yellow.

So if you hit mute the color comes back to the patch, the blooming causes the color to return to the picture.

This is true for any of the lighter colors in the color checker as well. It's almost like the local dimming strips out the color unless another light source turns on. In the lighter colors where you see errors in the pre cal. I was hitting mute and could visibly see color come back to the patch.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hmm, then I suggest you experiment using madTPG, trying some APL window sizes. (They don't work with PGenerator.) Start with Constant APL 10, but you might then try Custom and play around with Pattern APL and maybe Pattern Size. If you find something that works, if you have ColourSpace, I believe you can set the PGenerator pattern background color, but I don't know if you can manually configure the SD card to do the equivalent, you'd have to ask in the PGenerator thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hmm, then I suggest you experiment using madTPG, trying some APL window sizes. (They don't work with PGenerator.) Start with Constant APL 10, but you might then try Custom and play around with Pattern APL and maybe Pattern Size. If you find something that works, if you have ColourSpace, I believe you can set the PGenerator pattern background color, but I don't know if you can manually configure the SD card to do the equivalent, you'd have to ask in the PGenerator thread.

Using this method these are my results lol.

This is Top=Pgen, 1080p24 bottom 1080p60.

This is Top=Pgen 1080p60 Bottom=MadTPG 1080p24.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

APL patterns flicker something fierce and the scale looks like a rollercoaster.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Other than suggesting you try plain 2% and 5% Windows with madTPG, I've run out of ideas, then.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Other than suggesting you try plain 2% and 5% Windows with madTPG, I've run out of ideas, then.
APL50 is looking correct. Based off my pgen cal. The colors all fall under 1de. The greyscale is close to my other calibration but is a bit off. This may just work.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Contrast 36 sounds very low, check your peak brightness to see if it's significantly lower than at Contrast 50.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Contrast 36 sounds very low, check your peak brightness to see if it's significantly lower than at Contrast 50.
It was low..Luminance was terrible..I've worked Contrast back up to around the ddc reset default of 40 or even 39. 41 it starts to roll off at 70.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The DDC default of 40 is just a guesstimated lower bound of where to start evaluating for best Contrast, nothing more than that. You don't have very much peak brightness to begin with, you don't want to sacrifice very much of what you have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The DDC default of 40 is just a guesstimated lower bound of where to start evaluating for best Contrast, nothing more than that. You don't have very much peak brightness to begin with, you don't want to sacrifice very much of what you have.
Peak brightness is the nits at 100 correct? I get readings of 935 regularly.

I'm starting to feel confident in APL10 size 10...as the gain and highs are nearly identical to my SDR 2pt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

21 - 40 of 70 Posts