AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes, peak brightness it nits at 100%. If you're seeing roll-off at around 70% with madTPG, I suspect that's caused by the problem I mentioned earlier, that CalMAN's configured metadata is not being passed all the way to the display, so I wouldn't be picking Contrast based on whether that roll-off occurs or not. Check to see if you get comparable roll-off with PGen+HDFury.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes, peak brightness it nits at 100%. If you're seeing roll-off at around 70% with madTPG, I suspect that's caused by the problem I mentioned earlier, that CalMAN's configured metadata is not being passed all the way to the display, so I wouldn't be picking Contrast based on whether that roll-off occurs or not. Check to see if you get comparable roll-off with PGen+HDFury.
With that in mind the best eotf track is at 48 contrast. Anything less and everything starts to fall off. I'll check with Pgenerator in a bit.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
OK, perhaps the Q70 does tone mapping even for 1000 nit metadata because its peak brightness is under 1000 nits. You could test further by using 4000 nit metadata in both; my guess is you won't see any difference with madTPG (I don't with my Q90R) but you will with HD Fury.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I would suggest changing the grayscale points to at least 21 steps. You can even go as high as 56
I go back and forth. I use 10pt just when I want a quick look. I need a break...my Pgenerator is stuck in APL now..I'll look more tomorrow...the HDR on this tv is a chore.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
AIUI, only the original Integral. (There was a driver incompatibility with the Integral at one point, I'm unclear if it's been fixed.) Don't know about Samsung HDR mode.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
AIUI, only the original Integral. (There was a driver incompatibility with the Integral at one point, I'm unclear if it's been fixed.) Don't know about Samsung HDR mode.
I see that. I'm looking for an Integral now but can't even find a used one. Finding the custom metadata for the Linker has me at a loss.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It was the last sentence of that post I was referring to.
"You have to tell CalMAN you have an Integral and copy and paste the strings it generates into the proper fields on the Linker GUI."

This? If I don't have an integral how do I tell Calman I have one?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Like the post said, just use that panel to generate the HDR InfoFrame; manually copy it, disconnect, and paste it into your Linker. Keep using the same AVI InfoFrame that you've been using.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Like the post said, just use that panel to generate the HDR InfoFrame; manually copy it, disconnect, and paste it into your Linker. Keep using the same AVI InfoFrame that you've been using.
I caught that after the fact. That works. Thank you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
So I've been playing with the cms. It helps quite a bit to use dci p3 sweeps at 25% stimulus. It stops the tv from "stripping color"..I then don't have to use apl patterns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I think I found my issue. I got teds disk for Pgenerator and when I bring up the greyscale there's a terrible green tint to it. Colormunki is apparently terrible to profile with. The rental and this one both gave the same results so i assumed it was fairly accurate.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts