AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 4954 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, updated to the latest firmware, and I've found an issue, basically custom metadata doesn't appear in the OSD anymore, all 0's, are you able to hotfix this? Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I will receive a vertex tuesday.
I have a panasonic ub820 and a jvc x700R.

Which Vertex's settings must I use to have 4k and hdr bt2020 on my jvc ?

thanks
I don't believe your 2014 x700R has a built-in BT.2020 color profile. I have read that others have loaded a 2015 JVC BT.2020 profile to their x700R. You would need to do that first.

Then to trick the UB820 player into thinking it is connected to a display that supports BT.2020, select a Custom 600MHz EDID in the Vertex that supports BT.2020.

11 - 4K60-444 600MHz HDR BT2020 All Sound
14 - 4K60-444 600MHz BT2020 All Sound

Even though your x700R does not support HDR, it won't matter if you choose EDID 11 instead of 14 because you will configure your UB820 to SDR 2020 mode.

The UB820 will see from the Custom EDID that your display supports BT.2020, and will output SDR/BT2020 instead of SDR/REC709.

The UB820's SDR 2020 mode is recommended for projectors instead of HDR mode; even for projectors that do support HDR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't believe your 2014 x700R has a built-in BT.2020 color profile. I have read that others have loaded a 2015 JVC BT.2020 profile to their x700R. You would need to do that first.

Then to trick the UB820 player into thinking it is connected to a display that supports BT.2020, select a Custom 600MHz EDID in the Vertex that supports BT.2020.

Even though your x700R does not support HDR, it won't matter if you choose EDID 11 instead of 14 because you will configure your UB820 to SDR 2020 mode.

The UB820 will see from the Custom EDID that your display supports BT.2020, and will output SDR/BT2020 instead of SDR/REC709.

The UB820's SDR 2020 mode is recommended for projectors instead of HDR mode; even for projectors that do support HDR.
Thanks I'll try this as soon as possible.
Is there antoher setting to convert hdcp 2.2 to hdcp 1.4 ?

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Thanks I'll try this as soon as possible.
Is there antoher setting to convert hdcp 2.2 to hdcp 1.4 ?
There are HDCP 1.4 and 2.2 radio buttons on the Config tab of the Windows Vertex GUI.
There is an HDCP Settings option in the mobile device App with a checkbox to configure HDCP 1.4 output.

Reactions: HDfury

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Has there been an update to VRR support? The HDFury Vertex shows VRR support has been added but this thread talks about not being sure if it's works properly?

I'm trying to get a PS4 and X-Box One X to display in 4K+HDR+VRR on my one 4K monitor and then downscale to 1080p for the rest of my houses (chained to a 4x4 1080p HDMI Matrix).

Also, any update to 4K -> 1440p downscaling? I would absolutely kill for this feature :)

Hope you guys are working on a 2x4 or 4x4 matrix as I would also purchase that in a heartbeat!

EDIT: FYI, Monoprice has 25% and it worked on the Vertex so I went ahead and ordered it anyways before I receive an answer to these questions :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has there been an update to VRR support? The HDFury Vertex shows VRR support has been added but this thread talks about not being sure if it's works properly?

I'm trying to get a PS4 and X-Box One X to display in 4K+HDR+VRR on my one 4K monitor and then downscale to 1080p for the rest of my houses (chained to a 4x4 1080p HDMI Matrix).

Also, any update to 4K -> 1440p downscaling? I would absolutely kill for this feature :)

Hope you guys are working on a 2x4 or 4x4 matrix as I would also purchase that in a heartbeat!

EDIT: FYI, Monoprice has 25% and it worked on the Vertex so I went ahead and ordered it anyways before I receive an answer to these questions :)
I have a Vertex, a 75 Q9FN (2018), and an Xbox One X. VRR passthrough does not work, though they claim it is supported on their web site. Waiting on them to investigate why (it's been almost a month).

HDfury here clarified that VRR support in the Vertex goes so far as to include EDID flag passing, they have no idea if it actually works because they haven't got any VRR capable hardware, and they will investigate when they have some.

·
Registered
155 Posts
nothing final yet, we need a VRR display to find out.
What's stopping you from just running out and buying any 2018 Samsung TV higher than or equal to an NU8000, today?

A 55" NU8000 should be < $1000 US and currently supports VRR with firmware 1103 according to Rtings.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You can buy FreeSync (VRR) PC monitors for much cheaper than that even. I have the LG 27UK600 which is $450 (purchased on sale for $320) that supports FreeSync and the X-Box One and works perfectly.

EDIT: It looks like the LG 24MP59G-P is around $125 and also supports FreeSync (VRR). It should be very cheap to buy a supported monitor :)

·
Registered
7,155 Posts

VRR signaling was added to automix, so VRR capability is reported to the source which can correctly detect it. However, VRR might only work from source to sink directly and could be a feature that won't go thru any other device in between by design, this is something we haven't yet investigated because we do not currently own a VRR display.

4K > 1440p not possible at this time and probably never possible with Vertex. (currently only Lumagen Radiance Pro +4000$ can do that afaik)

Yes, 2x4 Matrix is coming soon.

What's stopping you from just running out and buying any 2018 Samsung TV higher than or equal to an NU8000, today?

A 55" NU8000 should be < $1000 US and currently supports VRR with firmware 1103 according to Rtings.

Not enough business to justify the purchase atm, in the past when we launched Vertex, we bought some very expensive equipment (AVR/Display/etc..) to fix some issues people were having, now we have a rock solid platform, very stable and syncing extremely fast with most sources and sinks out there, however our sales are currently not good enough to keep this way of doing running forever. So our priority now is not necessary VRR display (VRR just a part of a larger spectrum), it is HDMI2.1 so we need SOURCE (next Nvidia GPU if it keep its promise) and SINK. We also highly suspect that VRR will never be able to run in any setup where you have any device in between. It might very much be a feature that can only work for Source to Sink directly.

For example, let's imagine for a second that VRR can pass thru, the secondary output that is (in most cases) supposed to go to an older AVR cannot be VRR or it won't work, so the device would need to allow VRR on one channel and use a fixed frame rate (like 30 or 60) for the downscaled output, this is technically not possible at all because it would require some huge amount of super fast RAM that not only Vertex does not have available but even 4000$ Lumagen Radiance Pro doesn't have.

Bottom line: We will study VRR in depth when we will start working on HDMI 2.1 (but not the 600MHz one, which doesn't bring anything new, the 1500MHz/48Gbps one)

Happy users, feel free to share a link to us through your contacts and connections if you are happy with our work, we need more business to keep improving our devices and satisfy more users with new features.

Reactions: DrTim

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Hi, updated to the latest firmware, and I've found an issue, basically custom metadata doesn't appear in the OSD anymore, all 0's, are you able to hotfix this? Cheers
Sorry I missed your post, I guess you meant that if you disable HDR or stop injecting custom HDR metadata THEN ONLY you see all 0's in OSD right ?

if so, this is normal since now when you stop injecting or disable HDR we will send EOTF 0, yes instead of displaying 0's we could report OFF/no metadata if you prefer or do u still want to see the custom hdr metadata value even when not in use ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry I missed your post, I guess you meant that if you disable HDR or stop injecting custom HDR metadata THEN ONLY you see all 0's in OSD right ?

if so, this is normal since now when you stop injecting or disable HDR we will send EOTF 0, yes instead of displaying 0's we could report OFF/no metadata if you prefer or do u still want to see the custom hdr metadata value even when not in use ?
No, previously when I had HDR injection running, I could see exactly what my string was, and values by turning the OSD on from Goblue, but since updating, the original values show, but the new injected HDR metadata is all 0's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
VRR signaling was added to automix, so VRR capability is reported to the source which can correctly detect it. However, VRR might only work from source to sink directly and could be a feature that won't go thru any other device in between by design, this is something we haven't yet investigated because we do not currently own a VRR display.
In that case you should probably remove or clarify the mention of VRR support from your web site.

People are buying Vertexes with the assumption that VRR passthrough will work. If it doesn't really work, you probably shouldn't say it is supported.

I'm not going to ask for a refund, because I actually really like the device (other than VRR not working).

For example, let's imagine for a second that VRR can pass thru, the secondary output that is (in most cases) supposed to go to an older AVR cannot be VRR or it won't work, so the device would need to allow VRR on one channel and use a fixed frame rate (like 30 or 60) for the downscaled output, this is technically not possible at all because it would require some huge amount of super fast RAM that not only Vertex does not have available but even 4000$ Lumagen Radiance Pro doesn't have.
Can't you just throw away the video to avoid having to convert the frame rate?

I'd be happy if the Vertex could pass through the VRR video straight from the Xbox to display, and just have a static black screen with audio (7.1/Atmos) for the other output. In this application of the Vertex, I don't care if the AVR receives no video or just a black screen or even random video noise, because the Xbox is directly plugged into the TV.

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,053
OP has been updated to reflect latest firmware.

Yup. This is what I had to do, works great! You can definitely see a difference. Still waiting for a native 4k mid level JVC to replace my 700.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
People are buying Vertexes with the assumption that VRR passthrough will work. If it doesn't really work, you probably shouldn't say it is supported.
Does VRR work if you only have one output device? (ie. no splitting, no matrixing, etc)

...or if you have one display turned off? (so again no splitting, etc).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does VRR work if you only have one output device? (ie. no splitting, no matrixing, etc)

...or if you have one display turned off? (so again no splitting, etc).
Nope. Right now, it doesn't matter if anything is connected to the second output, VRR passthrough does not work.

I tried this setup:

Xbox One X -> Vertex -> 75Q9FN

As soon as VRR is enabled on both the Xbox One X and 75Q9FN (and you launch a game, which triggers the Xbox to enter into VRR mode), the display goes black and the Q9FN no longer handshakes (signal lost).
Connecting the Xbox One X directly to the 75Q9FN works fine.

The only reason I bought the Vertex is that I thought it could extract the audio and push that to my AVR while still preserving VRR to the display.

Since it doesn't do that I have no real use for it, however it is a really nice $350 device otherwise so I plan to keep it. It's useful just for debugging HDMI and EDID handshakes and seeing what is going on, for example.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
No, previously when I had HDR injection running, I could see exactly what my string was, and values by turning the OSD on from Goblue, but since updating, the original values show, but the new injected HDR metadata is all 0's.

Ok we will look into it, currently when you create the HDR metadata from GUI and you inject it then it appears correctly on osd. So it works as intended, we will check GoBlue asap.

In that case you should probably remove or clarify the mention of VRR support from your web site.

I'm not going to ask for a refund, because I actually really like the device (other than VRR not working).

Can't you just throw away the video to avoid having to convert the frame rate?

I'd be happy if the Vertex could pass through the VRR video straight from the Xbox to display, and just have a static black screen with audio (7.1/Atmos) for the other output. In this application of the Vertex, I don't care if the AVR receives no video or just a black screen or even random video noise, because the Xbox is directly plugged into the TV.

Thanks

AFAIK VRR reference was removed a while ago when someone posted that detection is ok but signal is not passing thru.

No we cannot throw away video, because a video signal is needed somehow to embed audio on it and Vertex cannot generate its own stream (well, not exactly true, but at least, in current state of code, this feature is not yet implemented)
So once again, please be patient, once there is HDMI2.1 source and HDMI 2.1 display both working for 48Gbps/1500MHz, we will look at it closely and see whatever can be done. Yet as said, if VRR (or freesync or Gsync) is a tech that only work from source to display straight, then we will have hard time adding support for it, so It needs some more investigation for work around.

Reactions: DrTim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok we will look into it, currently when you create the HDR metadata from GUI and you inject it then it appears correctly on osd. So it works as intended
The osd only correctly shows what signal and data it's receiving, but not custom injection, all 0's when activated.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
The osd only correctly shows what signal and data it's receiving, but not custom injection, all 0's when activated.
On the screenshot you posted on our support server : https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/314050739771146241/479783034871087105/20180816_210859.jpg

You are displaying RX HDR info, so please check if under OSD settings you have RX HDR info ticked, if that's the case, then all is normal.
this RX HDR info you have is incoming metadata and show EOTF2 which is standard for HDR10 and metadata specifics are all zero, this is perfectly normal from a source into menu/static.

So once you remove RX HDR info, you should have TX HDR info and then you should see your custom HDR metadata.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The supplied PSU with any of our devices is 5V2A > this is what you need to operate normally using normal equipment.
Now if you have equipment sucking power from HDMI such as Active cable non powered by their own power supply, then you need to increase voltage a bit so there is enough to drive such cables, in such case you need 5.25V 2A PSU such as the one I outlined or such as the one people have found for cheap on Ebay, Amazon, etc...

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to make changes at output, basically EDID=how source is seing Vertex and what it will sent to it and SCALING = What vertex will do with the signal.
If you have 4K sources and 1080p display, just connect 1080p display to TOP OUTPUT, SCALE SLIDE on autoscaling and EDID on CUSTOM. this will work out of the box (or right after you remove lock icon if you see any on OLED, read first post of usermanual p.13 for that)
So there is no particular settings other than that needed to get your setup working as you described it, except of course if some cables are taking power from the HDMI, then you might need to use 5.25V PSU first to get it working.

Now regarding settings, Vertex GUI have option to export config, this is the best way and easier way for you to get help and hints about what settings need to be changed, so just run Windows GUI (without goblue) and in MENU>CONFIG>EXPORT, it will save config.txt file, just attach this file in your next post and we will check it. if needed we can do changes on the config file and you can import it back directly.

Yes you can use Goblue and you will have similar settings/features than normal GUI, except no config export, no EDID save/load and of course no update as for update you always need windows updaters software. So GoBlue is good for controlling once your setup is ok or for setting it up.
However, for support, please use Windows GUI and config export, then we can help you easily and effectively.

So I just got my 5.2v power supply and plugged everything in.

Good news: The Anthem is showing 4k pass-thru with Apple TV and with the projector HDMI connected, I can finally get a picture on my Pioneer with EDID=custom, HDCP=follow input, Scale=AutoScale.

Bad news: The Pioneer picture is totally washed out. I won't be able to tell what the JVC looks like until it gets dark tonight.

I have an ISF calibrator coming this Friday night. I hope I can get everything good to go by then.

Attachments

3041 - 3060 of 4954 Posts