AVS Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2412 Posts

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
It definitely uses them when in Auto Tone Mapping mode. There is debate whether they are used in Frame Adapt mode.
This was settled quite a few months ago:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-659.html#post58883518

Note “ Auto” in this case refers to the Auto/High/Medium/Low settings of the Frame Adapt HDR picture mode. The actual switching points were reported here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-664.html#post58889828

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would like to add that I don't have Crestron or Lumagen, that is outside my budget. If HDFury could provide the aspect ratio detection and an option to drive macro generation that would be a great value.
Honestly, I'd take anything I can get as I can work with whatever the Vertex spits out, but the issue I see is that how many ARs do you choose if you're reporting them discretely?

2.35, 1.85, 1.78 obviously.

But then what about 2.40, 2.38, and of course 2.20, so beloved of our Mr. Nolan and his VAR antics?

What about 4:3 even, or 14:9 for those with 4-way masking?

As @Manni01 so succinctly put it - if you simply report the aspect ration, that "offloads all the issues to the integration" - and the HDFury device is truly hardware agnostic.

Really don't want to get my hopes up with this, but I already have the code ready to go in my head :D

Reactions: Manni01

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
So with Auto Frame Adapt mode, one could set custom HDR metadata values so that the JVC always selected either low, medium, or high depending on your preference. The metadata is not used during DTM.

With the earlier Auto Tone Mapping implementation, the JVC will use the metadata values to adjust its static tone mapping.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry, I thought you would ask the question again in the LLDV thread.

That is what I do. But I don't have an N series JVC that utilizes the HDR10 metadata values for tone mapping. It definitely uses them when in Auto Tone Mapping mode. There is debate whether they are used in Frame Adapt mode.

To be safe, don't set the HDR10 Max Lum and MaxCLL values to less than the Max Lum value in the Dolby Vision data block. You would be telling the JVC that the content has lower nits than it actually does.

If you have not changed the DV data block Max Lum it has a default of 1000 nits. If you loaded a custom EDID created by posters on the LLDV thread, you need to determine what the Max Lum setting is.

So if the DV data block Max Lum value is 1000 nits, don't set the custom HDR10 Max Lum and MaxCLL to a value less than 1000 nits. It will be up to you to decide whether setting Max Lum and/or MaxCLL to 1000 or 4000 or other value looks better. I can't help since I don't have an N series JVC.

As for the custom HDR MaxFall value, 400 seems to be as good a value as any. We don't know the actual value of the LLDV content.
Ok, thank you......I noticed in watching THE MEG although in DOLBY VISION, eats several details in the scenes in the open sea, the only way to solve is to switch to HDR10 and greatly lower the contrast, I understand that it is a film burned in a particular way, but I believed that in DOLBY VISION there was not, in this regard there is a solution to this, like a firmware update?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Ok, thank you......I noticed in watching THE MEG although in DOLBY VISION, eats several details in the scenes in the open sea, the only way to solve is to switch to HDR10 and greatly lower the contrast, I understand that it is a film burned in a particular way, but I believed that in DOLBY VISION there was not, in this regard there is a solution to this, like a firmware update?
I use MadVR for my UHD discs and LLDV for steaming services. With MadVR I don't see that issue. I would expect that a Lumagen would handle it as well. Since I don't have an N series JVC I can't comment on how well Frame Adapt DTM might handle the highlights.

So what HDR mode do you have the JVC set to when you send it LLDV? HDR, HDR Auto Tone Mapping, or HDR Frame Adapt DTM?

Reactions: HDfury

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also use madvr to watch movies and I too have noticed that with Madvr there is no problem in THE MEG, what I wanted to know why with LLDV is present ...... I do not have JVC N series but an Optoma uhz 65 laser

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Reactions: HDfury

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Isn't the Meg UHD a problem disc where some metadata is incorrect so it is reporting a maxcll too high or low or something? Here:

I can't find the exact post on the thread on my tablet, but googling gives this quote

"This movie's metadata state that MaxCLL is around 1800 when in reality it is closer to 4400. So any display that is using th"

Found it. From Kris Deering
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=15769969&highlight=4400#post15769969

So I'm not sure if DV would handle it better or worse.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Isn't the Meg UHD a problem disc where some metadata is incorrect so it is reporting a maxcll too high or low or something? Here:

I can't find the exact post on the thread on my tablet, but googling gives this quote

"This movie's metadata state that MaxCLL is around 1800 when in reality it is closer to 4400. So any display that is using th"

Found it. From Kris Deering
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=15769969&highlight=4400#post15769969

So I'm not sure if DV would handle it better or worse.
It's true what that user says that "This movie's metadata state that MaxCLL is around 1800 when in reality it is closer to 4400" and in fact the only way to see this film correctly is with Madvr's tone mapping, with OPPO 203 + VERTEX 2 to properly see the scenes in "open sea", I have to lower the contrast to -12 on the player , while for the saturation of red species in the initial scene there is very little to do with Madvr you have to go to COMPROMISE ON TONE & GAMUT MAPPING, while with the OPPO lower the saturation to -6

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It's true what that user says that "This movie's metadata state that MaxCLL is around 1800 when in reality it is closer to 4400" and in fact the only way to see this film correctly is with Madvr's tone mapping, with OPPO 203 + VERTEX 2 to properly see the scenes in "open sea", I have to lower the contrast to -12 on the player , while for the saturation of red species in the initial scene there is very little to do with Madvr you have to go to COMPROMISE ON TONE & GAMUT MAPPING, while with the OPPO lower the saturation to -6
So is that with Dolby Vision? Or HDR?

Hmm. I wish there was an easier way to handle it. I wonder what to do with a Panasonic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So is that with Dolby Vision? Or HDR?

Hmm. I wish there was an easier way to handle it. I wonder what to do with a Panasonic.
Obviously in HDR since in DOLBY VISION you can not change any parameters on the player...... from the tests done the only way to handle that film is with Madvr's tone mapping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there.

I have the Vertex 2 and just purchased the Logitech Harmony Elite with Hub, but when I add the HDFury Vertex2 in the "devices" it ask for IR Language Version 1,2 or 3.

I have set IR CODE SET: 3 on the webinterface, and IR Language to 3 in Harmony, but still no luck

I watched the video from HDFury on YouTube, but that doesn't show any "version" question.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hi there.

I have the Vertex 2 and just purchased the Logitech Harmony Elite with Hub, but when I add the HDFury Vertex2 in the "devices" it ask for IR Language Version 1,2 or 3.

I have set IR CODE SET: 3 on the webinterface, and IR Language to 3 in Harmony, but still no luck

I watched the video from HDFury on YouTube, but that doesn't show any "version" question.
Download latest firmware package, take the IR code set 3 list and mail it to datasupport at logitech.com and ask them to add to your account.

It seems they have wrong unit ir codes in their db currently, they are aware of it but haven't updated yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Download latest firmware package, take the IR code set 3 list and mail it to datasupport at logitech.com and ask them to add to your account.

It seems they have wrong unit ir codes in their db currently, they are aware of it but haven't updated yet.
So send them vertex2_ir_codeset3_010320.txt file ??

Thanks for answering quickly

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I have tried all three codesets. Whats your reccomendation ?

I'm a Vertex virgin, and bought it to be the hub in my AV setup.
Recommendation for what ?

If you have code set 3 set in your unit, then you send codeset3 to logitech, if you have codeset 1 you send codeset1, nothing special here.

different code set are just here in case there is IR conflict, then you take another as seen on many devices (ex: oppo)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got some issues that may or may not be Vertex2 related (most of this setup is new) but hoping someone can give ideas.

I have a TCL R615. CEC is turned off. Input to it is TX0. Audio out going to a sound bar. Input is a 2019 Shield Pro on input 0.

It's set to use audio out port EDID and input EDID.

Two issues:
1) Sometimes when I turn on the TV and it connects the Shield asks if I want to turn on Dolby Vision support. I'm not sure why it would have turned off but maybe it is seeing some EDID change on the TV side? If so should I be using a static one from the Vertex?

2) Every now and then, sometimes a couple minutes apart, sometimes half an hour apart, the video goes black for a few seconds and comes right back. The audio does not cut out during this time. I have no idea what component is causing this but so far nothing obvious that I've tried has helped.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I've got some issues that may or may not be Vertex2 related (most of this setup is new) but hoping someone can give ideas.

I have a TCL R615. CEC is turned off. Input to it is TX0. Audio out going to a sound bar. Input is a 2019 Shield Pro on input 0.

It's set to use audio out port EDID and input EDID.

Two issues:
1) Sometimes when I turn on the TV and it connects the Shield asks if I want to turn on Dolby Vision support. I'm not sure why it would have turned off but maybe it is seeing some EDID change on the TV side? If so should I be using a static one from the Vertex?

2) Every now and then, sometimes a couple minutes apart, sometimes half an hour apart, the video goes black for a few seconds and comes right back. The audio does not cut out during this time. I have no idea what component is causing this but so far nothing obvious that I've tried has helped.
1) At least you can verify if it plays a role by using custom edid, we have seen recently weird behavior on latest panasonic tv, during boot up they present limited edid and once fully boot up then only it will change to full uhd color enabled edid, so there you would need a power up sequence with a delay, turn TV ON, wait X secs till TV is fully booted, and then only turn on source (this is assuming your TV does something similar)

2) Sound like cable issue, easy to verify setting FIXED EDID which is max 300MHz if no problem with FIXED EDID and only problem with CUSTOM/AUTOMIX at high bandwidth (verify MHz on OLED/INFO/OSD) then it's a cable issue, if you use supplied shield cable to connect shield to Vertex2, then it's more likely the cable going to the TV that makes issue, replace by kabledirekt or bluejeans cable min6ft/max12ft and you will be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1) At least you can verify if it plays a role by using custom edid, we have seen recently weird behavior on latest panasonic tv, during boot up they present limited edid and once fully boot up then only it will change to full uhd color enabled edid, so there you would need a power up sequence with a delay, turn TV ON, wait X secs till TV is fully booted, and then only turn on source (this is assuming your TV does something similar)

2) Sound like cable issue, easy to verify setting FIXED EDID which is max 300MHz if no problem with FIXED EDID and only problem with CUSTOM/AUTOMIX at high bandwidth (verify MHz on OLED/INFO/OSD) then it's a cable issue, if you use supplied shield cable to connect shield to Vertex2, then it's more likely the cable going to the TV that makes issue, replace by kabledirekt or bluejeans cable min6ft/max12ft and you will be fine.
For (1) I'll give it a try, first I need to figure out if there is a reliable way to reproduce it, then can try custom EDID. If I can repro and figure out how to fix I'll report back here.

For (2) the cables are _mostly_ brand new Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed. Should be quality but the cable going from Shield to Vertex was put in the wall by an installer and who knows. I'll try moving the Shield to connect direct with one of the Monoprice cables to the Vertex. Curious if you have an opinion on those cables.

2041 - 2060 of 2412 Posts