AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2936 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
The eARC problem is not related to the Vertex 2. I temporarily removed it from the video chain, but the issue persists.
eARC works via the dedicated audio output of the Vertex 2 with FW 0.58 or FW 0.59. The downside is that this wiring consumes an additional HDMI input on the JVC XP-EXT1.
At least you have the vertex 2 ruled out as the issue now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Been very happy with my Vertex2, but I have noticed two problems - every now and then with AppleTV using Netflix and Youtube. Haven't noticed these with other sources. I'm using LLDV conversion, AppleTV is sending everything as Dolby Vision (both SDR and HDR). AppleTV and my Panasonic UHD are connected to Vertex2 inputs 1 and 2. Vertex is used as matrix, input1 is otputted from first output, input2 from second. All scaling is disabled from Vertex. Both of these outputs go to my AV receiver, which is then connected to my projector.

1) On few Netflix series with very dark scenes - last time it was with the last season of Vikings with episode 2 or 3 - the most blackest of black shadows etc. on those scenes were blinking/flickering to bright, and only those. Haven't noticed this but only in few scenes in few series. I'm not sure, but I assume the sources affected are originally SDR, so it could be either the conversion of AppleTV (however, I don't remember seeing these when I still didn't have Vertex2) or LLDV-conversion?

2) There have been some picture dropoffs (ie. screen turns to black), usually with Youtube, but maybe (not sure) with Netflix as well. Audio does not drop, as it continues while picture changes from black back to normal. Haven't tried if receiver can still overlay volumebar over this black screen while this happens, as it is after Vertex in this chain of mine. When I still had bad cable and had problems when nearing the higher MHzs and had dropouts, audio also dropped as projector did the longer resync for the signal. This doesn't happen with this problem, and as said, audio still continues for that second or two, when picture is missing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased the Vertex 2 based on the good reviews. Unfortunately I'm not quite there when it comes to the purpose I want from it. I'm very new to this so bear with me.

I think it should be a rather simple setup, so I could probably use some help. I want to be able to watch "Flow TV" on my computer from the signal that goes through a TV box (HUMAX YS4000 - link to specs) from my TV provider. The TV box receives signal from cable-tv antenna.

Currently the setup is like this

ANTENNA CABLE --> TV BOX (HUMAX YS4000) --> HDMI CABLE (HDMI0) --> Vertex 2 --> HDMI CABLE (TX0) --> ELGATO 4K PRO MK II/PC

So this partially works. I can access the menu system of the TV box, and play the on-demand TV/movies through my ELGATO PCI Card, but the traditional antenna channels are unavailable/black through the TV Box-system.

If I just stick the antenna cable into my normal TV or through the TV box and into my TV it works perfectly fine. I wonder if it is some sort of HDCP issue that prevents me from watching the antenna channels through the TV box on my computer? If it is indeed an HDCP issue shouldn't my accesss to the TV box menu system and movie archive etc. be blocked?

I don't know if it helps, but I attached my CONFIG file and a screenshot of the black channel with an active menu system from the tv box (that show the connection between the hardware exists).

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Been very happy with my Vertex2, but I have noticed two problems - every now and then with AppleTV using Netflix and Youtube. Haven't noticed these with other sources. I'm using LLDV conversion, AppleTV is sending everything as Dolby Vision (both SDR and HDR). AppleTV and my Panasonic UHD are connected to Vertex2 inputs 1 and 2. Vertex is used as matrix, input1 is otputted from first output, input2 from second. All scaling is disabled from Vertex. Both of these outputs go to my AV receiver, which is then connected to my projector.

1) On few Netflix series with very dark scenes - last time it was with the last season of Vikings with episode 2 or 3 - the most blackest of black shadows etc. on those scenes were blinking/flickering to bright, and only those. Haven't noticed this but only in few scenes in few series. I'm not sure, but I assume the sources affected are originally SDR, so it could be either the conversion of AppleTV (however, I don't remember seeing these when I still didn't have Vertex2) or LLDV-conversion?

2) There have been some picture dropoffs (ie. screen turns to black), usually with Youtube, but maybe (not sure) with Netflix as well. Audio does not drop, as it continues while picture changes from black back to normal. Haven't tried if receiver can still overlay volumebar over this black screen while this happens, as it is after Vertex in this chain of mine. When I still had bad cable and had problems when nearing the higher MHzs and had dropouts, audio also dropped as projector did the longer resync for the signal. This doesn't happen with this problem, and as said, audio still continues for that second or two, when picture is missing.
I will send you firmware to test for your issues. As for issue 2 It sound like you have a faulty hdmi cable. I suspect the flickering may also be related to the hdmi cables you are using. You should order
hdmi cables from amazon 6ft min 12ft max: made by Cable Matters/ Zeskit and Kabeldirekt.
People are having good results with these.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just purchased the Vertex 2 based on the good reviews. Unfortunately I'm not quite there when it comes to the purpose I want from it. I'm very new to this so bear with me.

I think it should be a rather simple setup, so I could probably use some help. I want to be able to watch "Flow TV" on my computer from the signal that goes through a TV box (HUMAX YS4000 - link to specs) from my TV provider. The TV box receives signal from cable-tv antenna.

Currently the setup is like this

ANTENNA CABLE --> TV BOX (HUMAX YS4000) --> HDMI CABLE (HDMI0) --> Vertex 2 --> HDMI CABLE (TX0) --> ELGATO 4K PRO MK II/PC

So this partially works. I can access the menu system of the TV box, and play the on-demand TV/movies through my ELGATO PCI Card, but the traditional antenna channels are unavailable/black through the TV Box-system.

If I just stick the antenna cable into my normal TV or through the TV box and into my TV it works perfectly fine. I wonder if it is some sort of HDCP issue that prevents me from watching the antenna channels through the TV box on my computer? If it is indeed an HDCP issue shouldn't my accesss to the TV box menu system and movie archive etc. be blocked?

I don't know if it helps, but I attached my CONFIG file and a screenshot of the black channel with an active menu system from the tv box (that show the connection between the hardware exists).

Thanks for any help :)
Please check your pm as I have firmware for you to test. Any issues please post config after testing this firmware.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all - please see posts #1663 & #1664 here: - HDfury AVR-Key Help

Now I've setup the AVR Key I'm wondering whether I should have bought the Vertex2. My media player will output LLDV and given my Samsung TV doesn't do Dolby Vision (it supports HDR10/HLG/HDR10+) I'm wondering if I would get better results when playing Dolby Vision titles using the Vertex2. I'm keen to find out and I'm able to trade back the AVR Key. I know the Vertex2 does a whole lot more but I'm unable to find on here any Samsung TV owners using the Vertex2 and so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,
I just updated the firmware on my vertex2. But now it's impossible for me to acces the webserver????
How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
154 Posts

Now I've setup the AVR Key I'm wondering whether I should have bought the Vertex2. My media player will output LLDV and given my Samsung TV doesn't do Dolby Vision (it supports HDR10/HLG/HDR10+) I'm wondering if I would get better results when playing Dolby Vision titles using the Vertex2. I'm keen to find out and I'm able to trade back the AVR Key. I know the Vertex2 does a whole lot more but I'm unable to find on here any Samsung TV owners using the Vertex2 and so I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Yes I think LLDV is needed for samsung owners. There are a lot of great titles available in Dolby vision and the vertex 2 is a great way to access them. There are lots of samsung users doing this. If you look through this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,998 Posts

Thanks
There are a number of posts from Samsung owners on the LLDV thread...

·
Registered
69 Posts
So my Vertex2 arrived last night and I set it up for a quick look see.

I have it connected from my HTP-1 output to HDMI0 input of the Vertex2 with the output of TX0 to my Epson TW9400. Upgraded to latest firmware before playing anything.

I played my usual go to titles that include Dolby UHD Demo (has DV demo tracks), Jumanji UHD Bluray on UB820, Underground 6 on Netflix, Transformers Age of Extinction streamed from my QNAP NAS. Everything played well and I think in the main the images have improved. The blacks on the Dolby UHD Demo seemed blacker. I also tried the FetchTV box and the images seemed better. I was using the iSF calibrated HDR setting on the PJ for all viewing.

I was using the web gui to see how the Vertex2 was playing the media and found that there was no information in the DV tab...is this normal or is there an option I need to engage?? Especially when playing movies on UB820.

Previously when I turned on my PJ, it would turn on my Shield TV and HTP-1 but this doesn't happen now...I assume there is a setting in the CEC tab that needs to be activated for this to work? I would ideally like to use the Shield remote to control volume and navigate on each source when selected.

Any/all help appreciated!

·
Registered
661 Posts
So my Vertex2 arrived last night and I set it up for a quick look see.

I have it connected from my HTP-1 output to HDMI0 input of the Vertex2 with the output of TX0 to my Epson TW9400. Upgraded to latest firmware before playing anything.

I played my usual go to titles that include Dolby UHD Demo (has DV demo tracks), Jumanji UHD Bluray on UB820, Underground 6 on Netflix, Transformers Age of Extinction streamed from my QNAP NAS. Everything played well and I think in the main the images have improved. The blacks on the Dolby UHD Demo seemed blacker. I also tried the FetchTV box and the images seemed better. I was using the iSF calibrated HDR setting on the PJ for all viewing.

I was using the web gui to see how the Vertex2 was playing the media and found that there was no information in the DV tab...is this normal or is there an option I need to engage?? Especially when playing movies on UB820.

Previously when I turned on my PJ, it would turn on my Shield TV and HTP-1 but this doesn't happen now...I assume there is a setting in the CEC tab that needs to be activated for this to work? I would ideally like to use the Shield remote to control volume and navigate on each source when selected.

Any/all help appreciated!
Please post your config file so we can view your settings as per
page 37 export config.

I am going to pm you some firmware to test. Please post the config after upgrading.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I just got a new Vertex2 4K on amazon. And I ran into a problem.
I have been playing dolby vision mkvs in ExoPlayer on my nvidia shield 2019 pro. My TV is an LG C8. I have all brand new 8K zesket HDMI cables (using 3 ft zesket cables for these tests). When I plug the shield directly to the TV input and play a DV file the tv registers DV and the movie plays well, however when I put the Vertex 2 in the middle (Shield to V2 input and V2 Tx0 to TV) every time the format changes (e.g. SDR to DV when I start a DV movie) the colors go negative and flash red or white for a second or 2 before playing the file and same when the movie ends. Sometimes the movie actually seems to play right but sometimes I hear audio and can see the player controlls on screen but the actual video is just black. Is there a setting I'm missing?

2761 - 2780 of 2936 Posts