AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3274 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Can HDfury passthrough HDR10+ dynamic metadata to a HDR10-only display in a similar way to how it passes through DV dynamic metadata? I would think it would be able to since they both use the same colour bit depth, just + has greater brightness capability.

I just discovered that Amazon Prime Video uses HDR10+ instead of DV.
No existing player can perform internal tone mapping of HDR10+ like they might do for HDR10 to SDR BT2020 and/or Dolby Vision to LLDV.

If you were able to get your HDR+ capable player to send HDR10+ to an HDR10 display that does not support HDR10+, the TV will ignore the HDR10+ dynamic metadata and process the underlying HDR10 static metadata.

Only HDR10+ TVs can extract the dynamic metadata. From the white paper linked below:

If a display doesn’t support the HDR10+ metadata, it will be simply ignored as any other optional ITU-T T.35 metadata and the display reverts to show the strict version of HDR10.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a new firmware coming that should have the 120hz added already.

You can also try the LG custom edid or the samsung Q9FN to see if this helps.
here are the edids available from for the dr hdmi 4k that are premade here
so you can also test the one used in the video.
Using the Samsung EDID now. All options available, including 1440p120Hz, but no DV.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi

I have a vertex2 in the following setup : ATV4k > AV Amp (Sony DN1080) > Vertex2 (fw0.59) > Sony 790ES (915ES)

I configured the vertex2 with a simple copy paste of this forum info, from different threads (Automix, custom string with settings I found on some posts)

I'm trying to understand better the vertex2 settings, and it brings me the following questions :
1) in the examples I saw, the scaler section is configured as "Auto scaling" and "Tx0 no scaling", why in that wase not use "No scaling" ??
2) what's the difference / purpose of the HDR METADATA GENERATOR section versus the CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK ? specificallu what is the impact of clicking "Send HDR" and "Send DV", it's not very clear to me
3) do you have a recommended set of settings with my kind of setup.

Sorry if this is all documented somewhere, I could'n t find anything comprehensive enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a new firmware coming that should have the 120hz added already.

You can also try the LG custom edid or the samsung Q9FN to see if this helps.
here are the edids available from for the dr hdmi 4k that are premade here
so you can also test the one used in the video.
Q9FN comes closest and provides all the options I need, except LLDV to HDR conversion. Other EDIDs switch off ALLM in Xbox menu.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi

I have a vertex2 in the following setup : ATV4k > AV Amp (Sony DN1080) > Vertex2 (fw0.59) > Sony 790ES (915ES)

I configured the vertex2 with a simple copy paste of this forum info, from different threads (Automix, custom string with settings I found on some posts)

I'm trying to understand better the vertex2 settings, and it brings me the following questions :
1) in the examples I saw, the scaler section is configured as "Auto scaling" and "Tx0 no scaling", why in that wase not use "No scaling" ??
2) what's the difference / purpose of the HDR METADATA GENERATOR section versus the CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK ? specificallu what is the impact of clicking "Send HDR" and "Send DV", it's not very clear to me
3) do you have a recommended set of settings with my kind of setup.

Sorry if this is all documented somewhere, I could'n t find anything comprehensive enough.
Hi there please first post the config file from the vertex 2. So we can have a stating point.
1) the vertex2 can scale 1080p to 4k so some people choose to use this. And others do not. So it is a choice in which you need to see what upscales 1080p to 4k best. The display or vertex 2.

2) All these features are for advanced users and should not be needed for most users.
Most users never touch these.

3) once we see your config then we can make some suggestions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi there please first post the config file from the vertex 2. So we can have a stating point.
1) the vertex2 can scale 1080p to 4k so some people choose to use this. And others do not. So it is a choice in which you need to see what upscales 1080p to 4k best. The display or vertex 2.

2) All these features are for advanced users and should not be needed for most users.
Most users never touch these.

3) once we see your config then we can make some suggestions.
Thanks, here is the file and some precisions
1) my question was not about choosing beween display or vertex upscaling, but why most people in the examples I've seen, seem to configure the scaler as "auto scaling" and "TX0 No Upscaling" instead of just "No scaling". Is there any difference when using only tx0 ???

2) the reason I'm asking about those settings is because I want to understand better : how can I become more advanced if the answer I'm getting is this one ? I need to know the purpose of and difference vetwen the HDR METADATA GENERATOR and CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK features, it's unclear but probably not rocket science and we're not washing machine users in this forum. Thanks for helping :)

3) attached

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been watching LLDV with my Vertex2 for some time now. I've just noted that the best I could achieve is 4K24Hz 422 BT2020 12b HDR 297Mz 2.2.

I wonder whether my setup as depicted in the following could achieve 4K60fps with some more tweaking?

Oppo 203 clone Video out > HDMI 2.1 cable > Vertex2 (fw0.59) > HDMI 2.1 cable > Epson Eh-TW8300
Oppo 203 clone Audio out > HDMI 2.0 cable > Marantz-AVR
(see attachment "output")

Yes, knowing that the cable could be a bottleneck, I do use the over-kill HDMI 48Gbps bandwidth 2.1 cable! Anyway, it is just a little more expensive.

When my Oppo 203 is set to "UHD 60Hz", I could only get " 4K60Hz 420 BT709 8b 297MHz 2.2". Therefore I have now set it to "UHD Auto". (see attachment "input")

My Config file is saved and attached here.

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've been watching LLDV with my Vertex2 for some time now. I've just noted that the best I could achieve is 4K24Hz 422 BT2020 12b HDR 297Mz 2.2.

I wonder whether my setup as depicted in the following could achieve 4K60fps with some more tweaking?

Oppo 203 clone Video out > HDMI 2.1 cable > Vertex2 (fw0.59) > HDMI 2.1 cable > Epson Eh-TW8300

Yes, knowing that the cable could be a bottleneck, I do use the over-kill HDMI 48Gbps bandwidth 2.1 cable! Anyway, it is just a little more expensive.

When my Oppo 203 is set to "UHD 60Hz", I could only get " 4K60Hz 420 BT709 8b 297MHz 2.2". Therefore I have now set it to "UHD Auto". (see attachment "input")

There are very few 60hz Blurays. The only one I know of is
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

So you need to send a 60hz movie if you want 60hz output as the hdfury does not alter framerate.

You should also use the firmware sent via pm.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts

Your PJ is detected as 4K60 420 8b HDR MAX, so 2 things:
1) that is your PJ max and therefor some sources will refuse to send anything higher than this if you are using automix mode which copy your PJ max capabilities, solution is simply to use Custom EDID that advertise full 4K60 444 8b HDR support.

2) that is not your PJ max and that means the input of the PJ is limited and must be set to 4K enhanced / UHD enabled or whatever the manufacturer call this for your display.

IF your PJ is indeed 10.2Gbps/300MHz then 4K24 422 12b is the best possible signal for movies.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts

I believe the EH-TW8300 is the same as the 5040UB, which can only do HDR10 at 30fps max, due to its HDMI limitation of 10.2Gbps.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Thanks, here is the file and some precisions
1) my question was not about choosing beween display or vertex upscaling, but why most people in the examples I've seen, seem to configure the scaler as "auto scaling" and "TX0 No Upscaling" instead of just "No scaling". Is there any difference when using only tx0 ???

2) the reason I'm asking about those settings is because I want to understand better : how can I become more advanced if the answer I'm getting is this one ? I need to know the purpose of and difference vetwen the HDR METADATA GENERATOR and CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK features, it's unclear but probably not rocket science and we're not washing machine users in this forum. Thanks for helping :)

3) attached
1) if your PJ is 18Gbps/600MHz capable and your source is 18Gbps/600MHz, then the fact that scaler is set to NO SCALING or AUTOSCALING will never make any difference since there won't be any operation done if not necessary. If source is 1080p then NO UPSCALING will let display upscale to 4K or Vertex2 is set otherwise.

2) HDR Metadata is the infoframe that travels with HDR signal to indicate how the display should deal with that HDR stream on a PJ it has very low interest since usually NO PJ react to any HDR metadata except the fact that they will turn ON their HDR mode when seeing and turn OFF HDR mode when not seing one. so HDR metadata is what allow to force a display in HDR mode or not.

A DV DATABLOCK is part of display EDID that source will read to know a few things about the display capabilities and how it should send DV stream out, such as primaries, min/max lum, etc.. such as all options you can find on DV page.

So to summarize, HDR metadata is intended to be from source to display (or from Vertex2 to display here)
DV datablock is intended to be from display to source (or from Vertex2 to source here)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've created a solution that I believe optimizes the JVC + HDFury macro functionality. Take a look at this thread:

Apex--- JVC RS500/600 HDFury HDR Macro Optimization

I thought it best to create a new thread.

Apex sits between the HDFury device and the JVC projector and intelligently works with the JVC, and its nuances, to ensure profile switching is optimized. These profile changes now take only as long as needed. This removes the one size fits all “20 second” delay.

Additionally, there is no longer a need to connect an RS232 cable to your JVC. While Apex receives data from an HDFury device via RS232, Apex communicates with your JVC using IP.
Quick follow-up. The video below shows how HDFury Vertex 2 + Apex allows the HDR mode switch to be quick, when appropriate, or take longer, if needed. It focuses on a Shield + Kodi example.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Regarding eARC, can anyone confirm if audio through eARC is output through the S/PDIF as well? The manual mentions that "ARC" over TX0 will, but I don't know if this implies eARC as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Hi all,

Regarding eARC, can anyone confirm if audio through eARC is output through the S/PDIF as well? The manual mentions that "ARC" over TX0 will, but I don't know if this implies eARC as well. Thanks!
Yes, HDMI/ARC or eARC, as long as it does not exceed SP/DIF max audio format supported then you will have the sound available there as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe the EH-TW8300 is the same as the 5040UB, which can only do HDR10 at 30fps max, due to its HDMI limitation of 10.2Gbps.
Thank you Dominic, hdfuryhelp and HDfury for the expert advice.

Yes, indeed I've just learnt that my PJ has hardware limitation in its LCD panel design. The best HDR it can deliver is 4K24Hz 4:2:2 12bit. At 60Hz, it reverts to 4K60Hz 4:2:0 8bit (since it's only 8 bit, it resembles BT709) , short of full 10-bit/12-bit 60Hz HDR processing. (see attachment I dug up from the internet)

Noting that 24Hz video is good enough for our eyes except in fast motion shots, I'm satisfied, without any urge to upgrade my PJ. In any case, the accomplished capability to project LLDV, IMAX and HDR10+ sources has fulfilled all of my expectation of this magical Vertex2! It strategically postpones the upgrade to a LLDV, IMAX and HDR10+ capable PJ, which would now cost too much for me.:)

Congratulations to the Vertex2 team! I have no hesitation in recommending this magical and cost-effective gadget to anyone with a similar configuration of hardware:

Projector : Epson Eh-TW8300 / 5040UB
Player : Oppo UDP-203

Enjoy with visual fulfillment!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
1) if your PJ is 18Gbps/600MHz capable and your source is 18Gbps/600MHz, then the fact that scaler is set to NO SCALING or AUTOSCALING will never make any difference since there won't be any operation done if not necessary. If source is 1080p then NO UPSCALING will let display upscale to 4K or Vertex2 is set otherwise.

2) HDR Metadata is the signal that travels with HDR signal to indicate how the display should deal with that HDR stream on a PJ it has very low interest since usually NO PJ react to any HDR metadata except the fact that they will turn ON their HDR mode when seeing and turn OFF HDR mode when not seing one. so HDR metadata is what allow to force a display in HDR mode or not.

A DV DATABLOCK is part of display EDID that source will read to know a few things about the display capabilities and how it should send DV stream out, such as primaries, min/max lum, etc.. such as all options you can find on DV page.

So to summarize, HDR metadata is intended to be from source to display (or from Vertex2 to display here)
DV datablock is intended to be from display to source (or from Vertex2 to source here)
Well that's much clearer indeed ! So I should not really bother about HDR metadata, and make sure the DV datablock is correct so that the source gets it right. Is there a way to see the content of teh custom defaults settings ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thank you Dominic, hdfuryhelp and HDfury for the expert advice.

Yes, indeed I've just learnt that my PJ has hardware limitation in its LCD panel design. The best HDR it can deliver is 4K24Hz 4:2:2 12bit. At 60Hz, it reverts to 4K60Hz 4:2:0 8bit (since it's only 8 bit, it resembles BT709) , short of full 10-bit/12-bit 60Hz HDR processing. (see attachment I dug up from the internet)

Noting that 24Hz video is good enough for our eyes except in fast motion shots, I'm satisfied, without any urge to upgrade my PJ. In any case, the accomplished capability to project LLDV, IMAX and HDR10+ sources has fulfilled all of my expectation of this magical Vertex2! It strategically postpones the upgrade to a LLDV, IMAX and HDR10+ capable PJ, which would now cost too much for me.:)

Congratulations to the Vertex2 team! I have no hesitation in recommending this magical and cost-effective gadget to anyone with a similar configuration of hardware:

Projector : Epson Eh-TW8300 / 5040UB
Player : Oppo UDP-203

Enjoy with visual fulfillment!
Also as I said before there are almost zero 60hz movies. Almost all except for a few are all 24hz. So it is not really anything to worry about.

·
Registered
671 Posts

2) HDR Metadata is the signal that travels with HDR signal to indicate how the display should deal with that HDR stream on a PJ it has very low interest since usually NO PJ react to any HDR metadata except the fact that they will turn ON their HDR mode when seeing and turn OFF HDR mode when not seing one. so HDR metadata is what allow to force a display in HDR mode or not.

Regarding HDR Metadata -
Newer UST projectors like the Samsung premiere or the LG Cinebeam supposedly have ability to do Dynamic Tone Mapping. The Samsung actually does HDR10+

Is there anything the Vertex can do to optimize the LLDV signal for a picture mode on the LG that takes advantage of dynamic tone mapping (or dynamic contrast)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Regarding HDR Metadata -
Newer UST projectors like the Samsung premiere or the LG Cinebeam supposedly have ability to do Dynamic Tone Mapping. The Samsung actually does HDR10+

Is there anything the Vertex can do to optimize the LLDV signal for a picture mode on the LG that takes advantage of dynamic tone mapping (or dynamic contrast)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dolby Vision signal contains dynamic metadata, but the LLDV player strips it so there’s no longer anything dynamic. There’s nothing the Vertex can or need to do, other than sending some metadata to “turn on” the HDR mode in the display.

3201 - 3220 of 3274 Posts