AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3274 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Have you tried out the Diva HDR to SDR conversion?
The Diva will be getting some new conversion profiles. The current profiles make darker content in films like Gladiator appear to have black crush. Although developers say there is none. Earlier profiles appeared to clip highlights too much, but were better on the low end. Goal should be to find a satisfactory compromise.

I would not be able to watch films like Gladiator and Arrival with the current profiles. (This was with the 1080P sent to my JVC RS500.)

Reactions: Dominic Chan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone......Found this thread and was hoping for a little help. I have previously used a vertex, but decided for a new setup to use a Vertex 2. I need to know whether the way I intend to setup the new system will work. The biggest issue I face is getting my Sony MDR-HW700DS wireless hmdi 1.4 headphones to work. What would be the correct way to setup. I was thinking along the lines of this. Can anyone confirm if this would work correctly? I drew a diagram the components are Sony A8H tv, Directv receiver, Zidoo media player and a Panasonic DP-UB820-K ran through a Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar. Thanks for everyone's input and advice in advance.......... View attachment 3077848
Any advice or suggestions from anyone???

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hello everyone......Found this thread and was hoping for a little help. I have previously used a vertex, but decided for a new setup to use a Vertex 2. I need to know whether the way I intend to setup the new system will work. The biggest issue I face is getting my Sony MDR-HW700DS wireless hmdi 1.4 headphones to work. What would be the correct way to setup. I was thinking along the lines of this. Can anyone confirm if this would work correctly? I drew a diagram the components are Sony A8H tv, Directv receiver, Zidoo media player and a Panasonic DP-UB820-K ran through a Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar. Thanks for everyone's input and advice in advance.......... View attachment 3077848
Yes the vertex 2 should have no issues connected like this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just got my Vertex2 and hooked it up as below. Very new to this.
View attachment 3078130
Current config:
1. EDID: AUTOMIX - TX0 + AUDIO OUT, HDR/HDR+=Checked, HLG=Checked, CUSTOM DV STRING=Checked
2. SCALER: AUTO SCALING (AUTOSENSE ALL + TX0 No Upscaling=Checked)
2a. For some reason I am not able to set TX1 4K60 HDR = 4K60 420 8-bit to indicate that I want to sacrifice color depth in favor of resolution on TX1.
3. HDR/AVI: Checked - Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is HLG and display has no HLG support, Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV

Questions:
1. What CEC configuration should I use so that my AVR is always turned on/off based on turning on/off of any of my input devices, but not my TX0 or TX1 display (I have to manually turn it on)? What if I want both my Audio and TX1 to turn on/off, but not TX0?
2. What CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK values should I use for the Projector and for the Samsung TV? Is it possible to apply different data blocks for the projector vs. TV without having to change it every time?
3. Why am I not able to set SCALAR/AUTO SCALING to TX1 4K60 HDR = 4K60 420 8-bit
1)The vertex 2 does not control CEC or affect CEC. Your tv is the CEC master device so you need to setup the CEC network on the tv. I think you will run into issues here as you can only have master control. So It maybe better to use a harmony remote or ip control then CEC.

2) As for what custom dolby vision data block values you need to first test and see if the display responds to them. As most projectors has no effect with this. So I would see if both displays actually respond to any changes you make. And these are not something that is known. You would need to test to see what works best for you.

3) Please post the config file from the vertex 2.
Make sure you do not have custom scaling ticked as you can only have auto or custom and not both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1)The vertex 2 does not control CEC or affect CEC. Your tv is the CEC master device so you need to setup the CEC network on the tv. I think you will run into issues here as you can only have master control. So It maybe better to use a harmony remote or ip control then CEC.

2) As for what custom dolby vision data block values you need to first test and see if the display responds to them. As most projectors has no effect with this. So I would see if both displays actually respond to any changes you make. And these are not something that is known. You would need to test to see what works best for you.

3) Please post the config file from the vertex 2.
Make sure you do not have custom scaling ticked as you can only have auto or custom and not both.
Since posting my original question, I have been playing around with the Vertex2 and finally have a configuration that I think I am happy with. I have attached my configuration. To get back some level of CEC control, I have put my inputs back into my AVR and have the AVR output routed through HDMI0 of the Vertex2. I originally had flickering when I switched the Apple TV 4K to Dolby Vision, but this has gone away once I changed HDMI cables. This setup now allows me to control the volume of the AVR with my Apple TV 4K remote, something I am not able to do if I hook the AVR to Vertex 2 AO port. I have also turned off CEC control on my TV and Projector, which is good because I only use one of these at a time and I can manually turn on/off the device I want to watch the content on instead of them controlling upstream devices.

The only thing I am still trying to understand is if the Vertex2 HDMI0 behavior seems to change based on what display device is turned on:

(a) TV only (18Gbps capable) - Input = full LLDV 12-bit 60fps; Output is HDR 12-bit 60fps
(b) Projector only (10.3GBps capable) - Input = LLDV 12-bit 30fps (stepped down even though original content can do 60fps); Output = HDR 12-bit 30fps
(c) TV+Projector both on - Input = LLDV 12-bit 60fps; Output on TV = HDR 12-bit 60fps, Output on PJ = HDR 8-bit 60fps.

TV ON IN TX0: 4K59.938 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 593MHz 2.2, PJ output 1:4K29.969 422 BT2020 8b HDR 297MHz 2.2
TV OFF IN TX0: 4K29.969 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 297MHz 2.2, PJ output 1:4K29.969 422 BT2020 12b HDR 297MHz 2.2

In the case of (b), can I force it to do HDR 8-bit 60fps if I wanted to prioritize frame rate over color depth same as the behavior when the TV is on simultaneously?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Since posting my original question, I have been playing around with the Vertex2 and finally have a configuration that I think I am happy with. I have attached my configuration. To get back some level of CEC control, I have put my inputs back into my AVR and have the AVR output routed through HDMI0 of the Vertex2. I originally had flickering when I switched the Apple TV 4K to Dolby Vision, but this has gone away once I changed HDMI cables. This setup now allows me to control the volume of the AVR with my Apple TV 4K remote, something I am not able to do if I hook the AVR to Vertex 2 AO port. I have also turned off CEC control on my TV and Projector, which is good because I only use one of these at a time and I can manually turn on/off the device I want to watch the content on instead of them controlling upstream devices.

The only thing I am still trying to understand is if the Vertex2 HDMI0 behavior seems to change based on what display device is turned on:

(a) TV only (18Gbps capable) - Input = full LLDV 12-bit 60fps; Output is HDR 12-bit 60fps
(b) Projector only (10.3GBps capable) - Input = LLDV 12-bit 30fps (stepped down even though original content can do 60fps); Output = HDR 12-bit 30fps
(c) TV+Projector both on - Input = LLDV 12-bit 60fps; Output on TV = HDR 12-bit 60fps, Output on PJ = HDR 8-bit 60fps.

TV ON IN TX0: 4K59.938 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 593MHz 2.2, PJ output 1:4K29.969 422 BT2020 8b HDR 297MHz 2.2
TV OFF IN TX0: 4K29.969 422 BT2020 12b LLDV 297MHz 2.2, PJ output 1:4K29.969 422 BT2020 12b HDR 297MHz 2.2

In the case of (b), can I force it to do HDR 8-bit 60fps if I wanted to prioritize frame rate over color depth same as the behavior when the TV is on simultaneously?
This is because you are using AUTOMIX, so EDID will depend on what is ON or OFF at output
To avoid this, you can just use custom EDID 10 instead.

If you have done some specific settings on DV datablock, you can also use automix, turn everything on and when everything is working fine, on webserver > edid page you have a button to copy the automix EDID to custom EDID slot number 10, click it and once done, change edid mode to custom EDID mode and make sure EDID 10 is selected and problem solved.

But before you do that, flash fimrware sent by PM because there is a few mistake on your config, for ex, you do not need to force flag that your device at output already support, ex: all your devices are HDR capable, so there is no need to force HDR flag.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Please update to the firmware I sent via pm and see if this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is because you are using AUTOMIX, so EDID will depend on what is ON or OFF at output
To avoid this, you can just use custom EDID 10 instead.

If you have done some specific settings on DV datablock, you can also use automix, turn everything on and when everything is working fine, on webserver > edid page you have a button to copy the automix EDID to custom EDID slot number 10, click it and once done, change edid mode to custom EDID mode and make sure EDID 10 is selected and problem solved.

But before you do that, flash fimrware sent by PM because there is a few mistake on your config, for ex, you do not need to force flag that your device at output already support, ex: all your devices are HDR capable, so there is no need to force HDR flag.
Thanks, did the following:
1. I updated the Firmware to 0.60
2. Set EDID to Input 0 to Custom 10
3. Set HDR/AVI to this: Checked=Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is HLG and display has no HLG support, Checked=Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV
4. Set CEC/EARC, Unchecked=Enable CEC

Everything appears to be working OK now. Getting 4K HDR 60fps 8-bit to the projector now only for content that are source 4K 60fps 12-bit HDR.

One thing I realized when testing is that YouTube on Apple 4K is not a good way to test the Vertex2. YouTube does not respect the Apple TV 4K's Match Source settings, and so it sends all video as 4K 60fps HDR videos if the Apple TV menu is set to 4K 60fps DV. Doesn't adjust to content.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Thanks, did the following:
1. I updated the Firmware to 0.60
2. Set EDID to Input 0 to Custom 10
3. Set HDR/AVI to this: Checked=Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is HLG and display has no HLG support, Checked=Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV
4. Set CEC/EARC, Unchecked=Enable CEC

Everything appears to be working OK now. Getting 4K HDR 60fps 8-bit to the projector now only for content that are source 4K 60fps 12-bit HDR.

One thing I realized when testing is that YouTube on Apple 4K is not a good way to test the Vertex2. YouTube does not respect the Apple TV 4K's Match Source settings, and so it sends all video as 4K 60fps HDR videos if the Apple TV menu is set to 4K 60fps DV. Doesn't adjust to content.
You can set the ATV4K to 4K60 SDR with Match Dynamic Range ON instead of 4K60 Dolby Vision. Then YouTube will send SDR unless the video is HDR.

ATV4K will still output Dolby Vision and LLDV. YouTube is not the only App that does not respect the Match Dynamic Range setting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can set the ATV4K to 4K60 SDR with Match Dynamic Range ON instead of 4K60 Dolby Vision. Then YouTube will send SDR unless the video is HDR.

ATV4K will still output Dolby Vision and LLDV. YouTube is not the only App that does not respect the Match Dynamic Range setting.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
@claw, @Dominic Chan, @HDfury, @hdfuryhelp

With the Vertex2, what should my settings be if I wanted to accomplish the following:

1) Sony 800M2 Player----------------------- input 0-------- to output everything (Blu ray and 4K discs) in LLDV.
2) ATV4K------------------------------------- input 1---------to output LLDV whenever signal is HDR (DV or HDR10), but keep SDR whenever signal is SDR
3) Panasonic UB820 Player------------------ input 2---------to pass-through signal (SDR BT2020 and SDR 709) untouched

Everything on output TX0.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
How many replies are you looking for?:D

With the Vertex2, what should my settings be if I wanted to accomplish the following:

1) Sony 800M2 Player----------------------- input 0-------- to output everything (Blu ray and 4K discs) in LLDV.
2) ATV4K------------------------------------- input 1---------to output LLDV whenever signal is HDR (DV or HDR10), but keep SDR whenever signal is SDR
3) Panasonic UB820 Player------------------ input 2---------to pass-through signal (SDR BT2020 and SDR 709) untouched

Everything on output TX0.

Thanks!!!
I don't believe the ATV4K can do what you're asking for.
The other two players are already do that. No settings to change.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
^^^Thanks, Dominic, I figured one of you experts will be on line :LOL:
The ATV4K can be configured to output everything as DV/LLDV. It can't be configured to output DV and HDR10 as DV/LLDV, but output SDR as SDR.

Reactions: by96 and atabea

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm currently not able to get my ARC enabled sound system working as I'd hoped with the Vertex2 alone and I'm wondering what settings I should try (if any) in the Vertex2 related to sound/ARC settings... or if I should add an HDFury Arcana to the setup?

Device Chain:

Video Sink/Display:
[Optoma UHD50X] World's First 240 Hz Projector | Optoma USA

Audio Sink:
[Enclave CineHome II] CineHome II | CineHub Edition

HDMI Cable Lengths & Details:
[HDMI_CBL0,1,3,4] - 1-Ft - Monoprice Certified 4k/18Gbps https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Certified-Premium-Ultra-Speed/dp/B074FFJP3H
HDMI_CBL2 - 8-Ft - BlueJeans / BJC Series-FE / (28 AWG) Belden Bonded-Pair w/ Ethernet HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable
HDMI_CBL5 - 15-Ft - BlueJeans / BJC Series-1 / (23 1/2 AWG) Belden Bonded-Pair BJC Series-1 Bonded Pair HDMI Cables -- Details and Specs

A/V Sources:
[Roku Ultra] Roku Ultra | Our fastest and most powerful player ever | Roku
[Samsung UBD-K8500 4K] UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Home Theater - UBD-K8500/ZA | Samsung US
[Win10_Aorus_1080Ti] AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11G Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global
[MS_WirelessDispAdapter] Wireless Display Adapter-New | Microsoft Accessories

It seems that folks are using the Arcana to get their eARC Sound Bar type systems (i.e. Sonos) working via an HDFury Arcana alongside a switch (i.e. Vertex2/DIVA) etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but this actually didn't work for me. YouTube just sticks to whatever I select as the base option on my Apple TV 4K (TV OS 14.3 I think) be it SDR or DV. I have both Match Dynamic Range ON and Match Frame Rate ON. Since my PJ is only able to do 4K HDR @ 30fps, I have stuck to 4K DV @ 30fps for now. Deep color seems to make a noticeable enough difference and I watch movie style videos (not gaming anything) and can sacrifice the 60fps.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I'm currently not able to get my ARC enabled sound system working as I'd hoped with the Vertex2 alone and I'm wondering what settings I should try (if any) in the Vertex2 related to sound/ARC settings... or if I should add an HDFury Arcana to the setup?

Device Chain:
View attachment 3078878
Video Sink/Display:

Audio Sink:

[HDMI_CBL0,1,3,4] - 1-Ft - Monoprice Certified 4k/18Gbps https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Certified-Premium-Ultra-Speed/dp/B074FFJP3H
HDMI_CBL2 - 8-Ft - BlueJeans / BJC Series-FE / (28 AWG) Belden Bonded-Pair w/ Ethernet HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable
HDMI_CBL5 - 15-Ft - BlueJeans / BJC Series-1 / (23 1/2 AWG) Belden Bonded-Pair BJC Series-1 Bonded Pair HDMI Cables -- Details and Specs

A/V Sources:
[Samsung UBD-K8500 4K] UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Home Theater - UBD-K8500/ZA | Samsung US
[Win10_Aorus_1080Ti] AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11G Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

It seems that folks are using the Arcana to get their eARC Sound Bar type systems (i.e. Sonos) working via an HDFury Arcana alongside a switch (i.e. Vertex2/DIVA) etc.
Nice Ascii !! ;)

Please send a config export and i'll tell you what to change.

Basically from default settings, you just go in CEC page >make sure CEC is enabled, set AUDIO SYSTEM and reboot Vertex2 and PJ.
If enclave cinehome have HDMI output, make sure it is not going to UHD50X (of course we are assuming UHD50X is ARC capable here)

·
Registered
325 Posts

Device Chain:
View attachment 3078878
Video Sink/Display:

Audio Sink:

A/V Sources:

@HDfury answered first!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice Ascii !! ;)

Please send a config export and i'll tell you what to change.

Basically from default settings, you just go in CEC page >make sure CEC is enabled, set AUDIO SYSTEM and reboot Vertex2 and PJ.
If enclave cinehome have HDMI output, make sure it is not going to UHD50X (of course we are assuming UHD50X is ARC capable here)
Thank you @HDfury I'll paste the ascii device chain in below :p. The CineHub inputs are pictured below and apply to both the CineHome II and Pro models of their sound systems.

TLDR: It has only a single HDMI input that requires an ARC or eARC enabled TV Port.

Also, My projector, the UHD50X (pictured below), however, does not have an ARC/eARC HDMI port implemented (tested). As mentioned I do have an HDFury Vertex2 (just purchased and loving the web interface btw :))

I wish the audio routing and eARC TV port emulation could be accomplished on the Vertex. This would compensate for the increasing availability of eARC equipped devices to be compatible with many GREAT projectors that simply lack eARC implementation despite their other amazing features. Actually, not many projectors ever received ARC support, let alone eARC.

Now, normally I would opt for a true AVR and traditional sound setup. But with the success and SONOS and the release of WiSA standards body... When CineHome PRO got their THX certification I could not avoid giving at least their CineHome II model a quick spin. I've had success in far stranger scenarios than lack of eARC support on the video sink. I'd hope everything would work fine over optical despite the terrible low bandwidth comparable to ARC @~1Mbps (with limited sound encoding formats) vs eARC @ ~37Mbps with up 32 channels (fact check me) but including ATMOS support. Note, Enclave Audio Technologies are entertaining the idea of full Atmos support via firmware update, but honestly I'd just be happy to get the current 5.1 working in what I do have.

I tried the CineHome system in another room on an ARC enable TV port and it sounds amazing, absolutely full sound for the size of the drivers, and no detectable latency or distortion (other than lossy compression of ARC). But I'm not trying to write a review here. I'm trying to get the Sound working through HDMI means on the setup below:

Device Chain:

P.S. I will upload the config file soon. Just wanted to get the above info in your hand and on here at AVSforum for others with similar setup arrangements of ARC/eARC sound systems with Vertex2 or other HDMI equipment/switches but no ARC enabled Video Sink or Projector

Attachments

3241 - 3260 of 3274 Posts