AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3833 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lyngdorf kindly forwarded old firmware to enable me to regress back to v4.03 and at the same time I regressed the Vertex2 to last release that was working.

Sadly the results were much the same except the Vertex2 does now indicate that it is sending a bitstream. In spite of this the MP-50 display indicates a DD+ signal momentarily and then states no audio.

In spite of the fact that the Vertex is working fine with 4k + HDR + ATMOS is it possible that the Vertex2 to has become defective?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
If you get a chance can you check the hdmi audio out port to your AVR see if this changes anything.
My denon has its hdmi output port blown up so I need to use the hdmi audio out and I get the LPCM 5.1 not dolby digital + with the users file.
I get DD+ from Diva HDMI audio out as well to my Denon.

JRiver allows me to configure audio as bitstream. I don't know if VLC does.

Mediainfo reports a single DD+ audio stream.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I'm using JRiver. VLC player was installed at the request of hdfury just for testing.
In JRiver I have Tools...Options...Audio...Bitstreaming set to HDMI.

If I set Bitstreaming to None, then the Diva reports
L-PCM 192kHz 2.0ch 16bit

And I get no audio from my Denon AVR.

But I don't get audio when I bypass the HDfury either so I must not have JRiver set up correctly for non-bitstream audio.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
No, I was not referring to some HDfury guide to connections. Just the Sony link you posted...

Assumes you're putting the Vertex 2 between the receiver and the projector.

Players -> AVM60 -> Any Vertex 2 input -> Vertex TX0 output -> projector.
Thanks, I originally thought each device had to be inputted directly into the Vertex2 then out to the PJ, but if the AVM60 just passes the signal (including LLDV) right through I guess not, which works a lot better as I don't have to worry about changing my Harmony set up.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Thanks, I originally thought each device had to be inputted directly into the Vertex2 then out to the PJ, but if the AVM60 just passes the signal (including LLDV) right through I guess not, which works a lot better as I don't have to worry about changing my Harmony set up.
Yes, it all depends on your AVR's capabilities. Users who connect the players to the HDfury instead of the AVR usually do so because their AVR can't pass through 4K 18Gbps video, and/or HDR, and/or Dolby Vision.

Reactions: pbc

·
Registered
448 Posts
In JRiver I have Tools...Options...Audio...Bitstreaming set to HDMI.

If I set Bitstreaming to None, then the Diva reports

L-PCM 192kHz 2.0ch 16bit

And I get no audio from my Denon AVR.
Just to clarify, I was using my current setup for 6 months after installing the Vertex2 and everything worked absolutely perfectly. I went away for 8 months and upon my return decided to update everything before settling down to use the system. Yes I know, bad idea on reflection, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Here we are and I'm now forced to remove the Vertex2 to get sound on all my content!

So I hope we can put aside cable and htpc setup concerns, hence my question to HDfury, is it conceivable that the Vertex2 has become defective in spite of the fact that it works perfectly with a 4k source supporting HDR + ATMOS

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Yes, it all depends on your AVR's capabilities. Users who connect the players to the HDfury instead of the AVR usually do so because their AVR can't pass through 4K 18Gbps video, and/or HDR, and/or Dolby Vision.
Cool, looks like it is working. I assume it shows up as Sony (instead of LG) because I followed Vollan's guide. Need to figure out what 4K23 means, and thought I had set it to 100/0.005 vs 1000/0.0001 so maybe something didn't register.

Using a 50' Amazon basics fiber cable, if that cable "wasn't working", would it simply not pass the video through? Or result in a soft picture?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Cool, looks like it is working. I assume it shows up as Sony (instead of LG) because I followed Vollan's guide. Need to figure out what 4K23 means, and thought I had set it to 100/0.005 vs 1000/0.0001 so maybe something didn't register.

Using a 50' Amazon basics fiber cable, if that cable "wasn't working", would it simply not pass the video through? Or result in a soft picture?

View attachment 3141279
The OSD seems to be reporting that you are getting HDR input, not LLDV. The HDR: RX line.

Check the Info page of the Vertex 2. It should report LLDV input and HDR output.

From your earlier post:
Sources are:
  • Sony UBP-X700
  • Xfinity Cable Box
  • Eventually an Nvidia Shield Pro
You won't get LLDV from the cable box. I believe that the Sony player requires you to set output to Dolby Vision or it will default to HDR10.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
The OSD seems to be reporting that you are getting HDR input, not LLDV. The HDR: RX line.

Check the Info page of the Vertex 2. It should report LLDV input and HDR output.

From your earlier post:
Sources are:
  • Sony UBP-X700
  • Xfinity Cable Box
  • Eventually an Nvidia Shield Pro
You won't get LLDV from the cable box. I believe that the Sony player requires you to set output to Dolby Vision or it will default to HDR10.
Thanks, it was the Sony but not sure what I chose for output on it.

Curious, when an HDR signal is sent does the Vertex do anything with it or just LLDV?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Okay, set Dolby Vision to ON. Went to Netflix and checked Daredevil Season 3, which the episodes now show as Dolby Vision instead of HDR in the description.

But when I play them this is what the info shows..
Check the Info page, not the RX Info page. It should report 4:2:2 LLDV input and 4:2:2 HDR output.

HDR10 should pass through untouched.

To add custom HDR to the LLDV input, enable the...
Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV
check box on the HDR/AVI page of the Vertex 2.

This will have your projector switch to its HDR picture mode. It doesn't know what to do with native LLDV so we add custom HDR.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
@HDfury If you would be kind enough to advise if you are now going to look into product compatibility with Lyngdorf products (specifically the MP50) it will be much appreciated.
The problem here is that you believe there is an issue on Vertex2 while we already have many users with same AVR and all is fine, so to sort this out, we need config export and test results, i'm absolutely confident we can get you working flawlessfully just by adjusting settings but you need to show good will in working toward this goal.

IF your HTPC works directly to LYNGDORF, then there is absolutely no reason it won't work thru Vertex2. Whatever your Lyngdorf EDID provide to the source, we can 1:1 copy it with Vertex2, so may be start here. If your AVR is at TX1, set EDID MODE to COPY TX1 and restart your source. If no go export config and post it, at least we will have the original Lyngdorf EDID and we can look at it.

The other thing is about the cable, if you use active fiber NON POWERED, then this could make issue with Vertex2 if that cable is taking too much power from Vertex2 output, this won't happen with a 220V/110V source for ex, so it's easy for user to believe that the cable is fine if it works with an AVR or source and not Vertex2 but in reality that's not the case. HDMI standards does not allow to take power from HDMI and if any such cable has to be used, then it should take less than what Vertex2 can offer from HDMI, this is the exact reason why you have HDMI +5v power injector, to fix exactly such kind of issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking for a device to solve a problem and it seems like the Vertex2 might be it but I'm not entirely sure.

I have a small handful of sources, an Apple TV 4K, an Xbox One, etc. that I want to use to feed both an Atmos soundbar (JBL 9.1) and a headphone amp with digital in (toslink stereo). I'm searching for a magic box that can both pass through Atmos while also extracting suitable audio to the toslink output.

Basically sometimes I want to watch a movie with the soundbar and sometimes with headphones. I don't want a full receiver, that's the reason I went with a soundbar in the first place. And my tv does not offer the ability to output to headphones easily. Can the Vertex2 handle this setup? Can it take an Atmos signal from the Apple TV and spit out a stereo toslink signal I can send to my headphone amp? Would this require the Vertex2 to do some sort of down mix?

Thanks for the help, I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to have a setup that allows for both a soundbar and headphones, without a full receiver or the odd soundbar with builtin headphone jack.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking for a device to solve a problem and it seems like the Vertex2 might be it but I'm not entirely sure.

I have a small handful of sources, an Apple TV 4K, an Xbox One, etc. that I want to use to feed both an Atmos soundbar (JBL 9.1) and a headphone amp with digital in (toslink stereo). I'm searching for a magic box that can both pass through Atmos while also extracting suitable audio to the toslink output.

Basically sometimes I want to watch a movie with the soundbar and sometimes with headphones. I don't want a full receiver, that's the reason I went with a soundbar in the first place. And my tv does not offer the ability to output to headphones easily. Can the Vertex2 handle this setup? Can it take an Atmos signal from the Apple TV and spit out a stereo toslink signal I can send to my headphone amp? Would this require the Vertex2 to do some sort of down mix?

Thanks for the help, I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to have a setup that allows for both a soundbar and headphones, without a full receiver or the odd soundbar with builtin headphone jack.
No hdfury device alters audio at all.
So you would need to set the source to send audio that that toslink supports in order to get sound on the headphones.
You cannot send atmos to the JBL and have the hdfury downmix the audio to something your headphones support over toslink. As the hdfury does not alter sound in anyway. It just passes through sound untouched.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No hdfury device alters audio at all.
So you would need to set the source to send audio that that toslink supports in order to get sound on the headphones.
You cannot send atmos to the JBL and have the hdfury downmix the audio to something your headphones support over toslink. As the hdfury does not alter sound in anyway. It just passes through sound untouched.
After reading more of this thread I gathered as much. But also after playing with what I have there is something interesting. When I switch my 10-year-old Sony TV from "External Speakers" to "TV Speakers" I get audio out of the TV speakers from the Apple TV, and it automatically mutes the soundbar. So the TV must be communicating down the line and there must be non-Atmos audio being sent by the Apple TV since the Sony TV most certainly doesn't support an Atmos signal.

I wonder if there is a way to use the Vertex2 to tell the Apple TV that it wants a stereo signal when I want to use the headphones and an Atmos signal when I want to use the bar. There has to be non-Atmos coming out of Apple TV and it seems to be triggered by communication between devices over HDMI.

That's what the Vertex2 does right? You can set up custom handshake-y kind of stuff? Can you set up "modes"? Like one for passing through HDMI as-is for when I want to use the Atmos bar and one for telling the Apple TV to only support stereo output? At that point if the Apple TV is sending stereo I'd assume the optical out would function.

Thanks

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
After reading more of this thread I gathered as much. But also after playing with what I have there is something interesting. When I switch my 10-year-old Sony TV from "External Speakers" to "TV Speakers" I get audio out of the TV speakers from the Apple TV, and it automatically mutes the soundbar. So the TV must be communicating down the line and there must be non-Atmos audio being sent by the Apple TV since the Sony TV most certainly doesn't support an Atmos signal.

I wonder if there is a way to use the Vertex2 to tell the Apple TV that it wants a stereo signal when I want to use the headphones and an Atmos signal when I want to use the bar. There has to be non-Atmos coming out of Apple TV and it seems to be triggered by communication between devices over HDMI.

That's what the Vertex2 does right? You can set up custom handshake-y kind of stuff? Can you set up "modes"? Like one for passing through HDMI as-is for when I want to use the Atmos bar and one for telling the Apple TV to only support stereo output? At that point if the Apple TV is sending stereo I'd assume the optical out would function.

Thanks
Just to be clear, you're looking for a way to easily switch between a couple of different EDID settings on the Vertex, one that supports Atmos and one that just supports 2 channel LPCM. The RS-232 protocol has a command that could potentially do what you want:

#vertex2 set edid audio x
where x is [stereo / 51 / full / native / tx1]
Sets the automix EDID audio flag
Ex. #vertex2 set edid audio native
So switching between the stereo and full option might accomplish what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to be clear, you're looking for a way to easily switch between a couple of different EDID settings on the Vertex, one that supports Atmos and one that just supports 2 channel LPCM. The RS-232 protocol has a command that could potentially do what you want:

So switching between the stereo and full option might accomplish what you're looking for.
I think EDID switching is what I'm looking for. I'm new to the intricacies of HDMI but that seems like exactly it.

The question then becomes how easy it would be to configure the Vertex2, which will sit between the Apple TV and the bar, to intercept and modify EDID. And how "pushbutton" I could make it so that I don't need to do a big settings dance every time I switch between these modes/settings.

It seems like the possibility is there, which is interesting.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
I think EDID switching is what I'm looking for. I'm new to the intricacies of HDMI but that seems like exactly it.

The question then becomes how easy it would be to configure the Vertex2, which will sit between the Apple TV and the bar, to intercept and modify EDID. And how "pushbutton" I could make it so that I don't need to do a big settings dance every time I switch between these modes/settings.

If the command I posted will actually accomplish what you're looking for, it becomes a question of what you're using for a remote control and perhaps how proficient you are with writing scripts. Something like a Rasperry Pi could be set up to send the command to switch the EDID and a remote control could potentially trigger sending that command. If the Vertex 2 IR protocol has equivalent commands, it might be as simple as programming your remote to send those IR commands if you're using something like a Logitech Harmony. But the first step is to confirm if that command will actually accomplish what you're looking for - perhaps @HDfury or @hdfuryhelp can confirm this.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

You must determine first how you want to make the change. IR/RS232/IP/Telnet/Android/iOS APP, etc...

If it's IR, there is code for STEREO or full audio available.

3721 - 3740 of 3833 Posts