AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3833 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You must determine first how you want to make the change. IR/RS232/IP/Telnet/Android/iOS APP, etc...

If it's IR, there is code for STEREO or full audio available.
I'm leaning toward IP/Telnet. I don't really have (or want) an IR learning remote like a Harmony. The idea of hacking together a little web app on my server to send the Vertex2 command over IP seems palatable.

Alternatively if it's not overly complicated I could go into an iOS app or the devices web configuration too.

To ask the obvious question, if I can get the Apple TV to send stereo PCM over HDMI using this EDID trick then can I assume that the Vertex2 will output that audio signal out of the optical output?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I'm leaning toward IP/Telnet. I don't really have (or want) an IR learning remote like a Harmony. The idea of hacking together a little web app on my server to send the Vertex2 command over IP seems palatable.

Alternatively if it's not overly complicated I could go into an iOS app or the devices web configuration too.

To ask the obvious question, if I can get the Apple TV to send stereo PCM over HDMI using this EDID trick then can I assume that the Vertex2 will output that audio signal out of the optical output?
Choosing Automix with Stereo audio flag doesn't seem to work for me. Apple TV 4K still sends 5.1 multi-channel audio.

But if I choose Custom EDID 13: 4K60-444 600MHz HDR BT2020 Stereo, then my Denon reports 2-channel input.

Reactions: HDfury

·
Registered
6 Posts
Choosing Automix with Stereo audio flag doesn't seem to work for me. Apple TV 4K still sends 5.1 multi-channel audio.

But if I choose Custom EDID 13: 4K60-444 600MHz HDR BT2020 Stereo, then my Denon reports 2-channel input.
Hmmm, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok nice move, but assistance isn't finish yet, we have that 480p adapter on order and we will find out ;)
Hello, I have the exact same issue with the Wii and 480p, flickering and loss of sound. Did you guys ever get around to figuring out the problem?

·
Registered
23L X 10W X 7H - 9.3.8 for now....
423 Posts
I am not sure I am at the right place but if I am not please redirect me. I have an htpc with an epson projector and an avm-70 I am at à loss which HdFury would be best can someone guide me so that I can order. Is the vertex 2 sufficient or do I need the diva?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hello, I have the exact same issue with the Wii and 480p, flickering and loss of sound. Did you guys ever get around to figuring out the problem?
Nothing new for me to report.
However I have some component to hdmi converters that loose sync with the wii at random times.
So It seems not all converters can handle the wii output perfectly. This device here drops the hdmi output at random times with the wii.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nothing new for me to report.
However I have some component to hdmi converters that loose sync with the wii at random times.
So It seems not all converters can handle the wii output perfectly. This device here drops the hdmi output at random times with the wii.
I can get a stable signal directly but not through the Vertex2. It’s perplexing.

EDIT: New adaptor arrived today and sure enough same issue. Both adapters work perfectly directly to a TV and projector. Plugged in via the Vertex and the 480p 60 signal glitches all over the place and no sound.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had feedback on Discord. Looks like a Vertex2 issue and could take some months to fix, if at all. I don't hold out much hope since the adaptor was purchased a year ago by the HDfury staff due to this problem and no resolution to date.

I'm exploring a resolution with the HDfury.eu side (I'm in the UK so purchased from that reseller) however, I understand resellers are a law to themselves in that regard and HDfury has no control over their return criteria. I'm not holding out much hope.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I have been using Vertex2 for a number of months now, but just changed my projector from an Epson to a JVC NX5. I want to start using macros (and am setting up a Raspberry Pi to run Apex to control the PJ over LAN).

I am interested in whether I can set macros on the Vertex2 that are dependent on the input. For example, I want my HTPC with MadVR to trigger a picture mode on the JVC that does not use internal DTM, but I want JVC's DTM when using HDR from my Apple TV. Is this set-up possible? I seem to only see how I can change the picture mode based on the signal type.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I have been using Vertex2 for a number of months now, but just changed my projector from an Epson to a JVC NX5. I want to start using macros (and am setting up a Raspberry Pi to run Apex to control the PJ over LAN).

I am interested in whether I can set macros on the Vertex2 that are dependent on the input. For example, I want my HTPC with MadVR to trigger a picture mode on the JVC that does not use internal DTM, but I want JVC's DTM when using HDR from my Apple TV. Is this set-up possible? I seem to only see how I can change the picture mode based on the signal type.
Are you not having MadVR tone map HDR to SDR BT2020? Then you could use the SDR 2020 macro for MadVR and an HDR10 macro for Apple TV and other players sending HDR.

In my opinion, all projector owners should have MadVR tone map to SDR BT2020.

Reactions: by96

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Are you not having MadVR tone map HDR to SDR BT2020? Then you could use the SDR 2020 macro for MadVR and an HDR10 macro for Apple TV and other players sending HDR.

You are so right. I do have MadVR set to SDR 2020. Totally forgot. That solves my problem! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts

Any suggestions on what settings on the NX5 are best for:

1. MadVR with SDR2020
2. Apple TV with HDR - (I assume JVC's DTM)
3. Apple TV with DV - (I assume regular HDR)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Hmmm... So trying to understand why my fiber optic cable works fine with my devices but not when I pass video through the Vertex2.

I.e. Even if a am simply watching Netflix or regular cable 4K or 1080p out of my Xfinity box I get video drop outs every several minutes.

Is the Vertex adding a significant amount of processing power to non LLDV sources (set it up using Vollans guide)?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Any suggestions on what settings on the NX5 are best for:

1. MadVR with SDR2020
2. Apple TV with HDR - (I assume JVC's DTM)
3. Apple TV with DV - (I assume regular HDR)

Thanks again.
I have an older JVC, but I would agree with your options. LLDV is tone mapped Dolby Vision so I would not use JVC DTM to tone map it again, but use a regular HDR mode like you mentioned. You might need to ask in the JVC projector thread about how to configure an SDR BT2020 mode. JVC made it more difficult to do with the latest models.

Reactions: by96

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
Hmmm... So trying to understand why my fiber optic cable works fine with my devices but not when I pass video through the Vertex2.

I.e. Even if a am simply watching Netflix or regular cable 4K or 1080p out of my Xfinity box I get video drop outs every several minutes.

Is the Vertex adding a significant amount of processing power to non LLDV sources (set it up using Vollans guide)?
If the fiber optic cable doesn't have it's own power source, that would be why. Essentially, the Vertex2 doesn't have enough power on the HDMI port to properly power a connected fiber optic cable. IIRC, it is possible to use a slightly larger power supply for the Vertex2 to get around this, but the preferred solution is to get a different fiber optic cable that has it's own power source or find a way to provide power externally to your current cable.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
If the fiber optic cable doesn't have it's own power source, that would be why. Essentially, the Vertex2 doesn't have enough power on the HDMI port to properly power a connected fiber optic cable. IIRC, it is possible to use a slightly larger power supply for the Vertex2 to get around this, but the preferred solution is to get a different fiber optic cable that has it's own power source or find a way to provide power externally to your current cable.
This explanation is spot on. I had to buy a powered HDMI cable to make the run from my Vertex2 to the projector. It at least has to be powered at the projector end. (Unfortunately, my new NX5 does not have a powered USB port to use, so I had to add a regular USB charger.) Regular HDMI cables worked fine when hooked up to my devices, but with the Vertex2, they wouldn't work.

Or HDFury sells HDMI cables in longer lengths that work with their devices and don't need power.

Reactions: hdfuryhelp

·
Registered
904 Posts
Quick question and I apologize if this has been answered already.

I'm currently using a Denon X6500, which does my HDMI switching at the moment. I have all the processing turned off in the receiver, but I was told the input lag would still be greater than if I used the Vertex2 as my switcher. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

I'm using a JVC NX7 so I can use all the help I can get in terms of input lag (PS5). Thanks again

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quick question and I apologize if this has been answered already.

I'm currently using a Denon X6500, which does my HDMI switching at the moment. I have all the processing turned off in the receiver, but I was told the input lag would still be greater than if I used the Vertex2 as my switcher. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

I'm using a JVC NX7 so I can use all the help I can get in terms of input lag (PS5). Thanks again
If you use the vertex 2 then the video can be sent in and out with no lag to the projector and no lag in the audio to the Denon.
This will allow the fastest in and out signal. However you would need to test this to see if it helps. As it is possible the denon is not adding lag either. But this cannot be proven until you compared the signal through the vertex 2 compared to the denon with the ps5.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you use the vertex 2 then the video can be sent in and out with no lag to the projector and no lag in the audio to the Denon.
This will allow the fastest in and out signal. However you would need to test this to see if it helps. As it is possible the denon is not adding lag either. But this cannot be proven until you compared the signal through the vertex 2 compared to the denon with the ps5.
Thank you

3741 - 3760 of 3833 Posts