AVS Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 2392 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
TV definitely goes into HDR but CS looks like its BT709 10bit SDR instead of 2020? At least that's what the OSD TX0 line states.

In the link I posted, it says click always to send REC 2020 but I can't see that option anywhere in the Vertex HDR page https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3023002-cheap-test-pattern-generators-accuracy-thread-15.html#post58777508
There is a Primaries drop down field in the HDR Metadata Generator that defaults to DCI P3. I believe ConnecTEDDD is saying to select the BT 2020 option from the drop down list.

Reactions: HDfury

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
There is a Primaries drop down field in the HDR Metadata Generator that defaults to DCI P3. I believe ConnecTEDDD is saying to select the BT 2020 option from the drop down list.
From his config:

"RX0": " 1080P59.931 444 BT709 10b 185MHz ",
"TX0": " 4K59.931 444 BT709 8b 593MHz ",

He is also upscaling here ( "autonoupscale": "off", )
And color depth is just lost in the process, that is weird for "calibrating purpose" i guess

And incoming signal is NOT BT2020, yet we don't know if the source is sending BT2020 with wrong infoframe or if it is just BT709 (any link to that source ?)

Custom HDR and Custom AVI are both enabled:
"customhdr": "1",
"customavi": "1",

"HDRCUSTOM": "87:01:1a:7e:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:84:80:3e:13:3d:42:40:e8:03:28:00:e8:03:90:01:00",
"AVICUSTOM": "82:02:0d:ca:20:c8:60:5d:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00",

I have not yet deciphered that AVI, but may be it is just wrong for the signal going out.
So i would first not inject any Custom AVI and see how results differs and then generate one matching the content sent by the source but altered by any upscaling performed on it.
This is only needed in case SOURCE is sending wrong infoframe to start with. It is not needed in any other case.

I can't provide such help for people trying thing they don't yet understand correctly, first because i already answered all that many times, people should use search feature a bit more and mainly because it is not related to any support/issue.

Reactions: mombasa123

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "click always to send REC2020"

If you do not send HDR content, then forcing display in HDR will give wrong colors.

If your source is sending HDR content but for who knows which reason the AVI infoframe that comes with it is wrong, then you need to overwrite AVI infoframe, if you don't know what AVI infoframe is and don't know how to format it, then i suggest you do not try such thing at all, you are supposed to know what you are doing when you use advanced features as i already explained, i cannot explain all AV basics to all users (especially since all that is already covered many times in history and it is not a support issue), this is something you are supposed to learn and read about on your own before even trying or considering using our devices for such purpose.
If the poster followed the instructions in the ConnecTEDDD post he linked to, he would have RGB output from the Raspberry PI PGenerator, not 4:4:4 that he inputs to the HDfury device. Then he would use the appropriate HDR metadata and AVI strings contained in the post.

Reactions: mombasa123

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "click always to send REC2020"

If you do not send HDR content, then forcing display in HDR will give wrong colors.

If your source is sending HDR content but for who knows which reason the AVI infoframe that comes with it is wrong, then you need to overwrite AVI infoframe, if you don't know what AVI infoframe is and don't know how to format it, then i suggest you do not try such thing at all, you are supposed to know what you are doing when you use advanced features as i already explained, i cannot explain all AV basics to all users (especially since all that is already covered many times in history and it is not a support issue), this is something you are supposed to learn and read about on your own before even trying or considering using our devices for such purpose.
In the link it says that. Maybe was present in the old GUI and not in the new one. Was hoping you would have looked at it at least?

Noted re education - I was hoping that there was a quick answer to what I was doing / not doing but seemingly not. I will do some more research and ask on the forum I have linked to,

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure if they will email everyone or if any such policy have changed, usually it takes a couple of working days.
I emailed datasupport at Logitech again today. I slimmed down the IR code sets to only input 0-3, because they original had way more than the 100 limit you mentioned. Is there a command for showing the vertex display info on screen like when first selecting the input? The default harmony profile had a few commands for OSD, but I don't think they displayed the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the poster followed the instructions in the ConnecTEDDD post he linked to, he would have RGB output from the Raspberry PI PGenerator, not 4:4:4 that he inputs to the HDfury device. Then he would use the appropriate HDR metadata and AVI strings contained in the post.
I did follow Ted's post and set Vertex to RGB but same. I was just posting the settings I used for 1080p SDR video as people may not be familiar with the PGenerator. Either way, both have the same issue.

HDFury, fyi, the RPI PGenerator outputs 1080p RGB Rec 709 calibration patterns. The idea it to o/r that with HDR metadata injection to get BT2020 HDR patterns for calibration.

Anyways, I will google and play a bit more. My settings are obviously not outputting BT2020 hence the dodgy picture.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did try that but didn't do the trick - but I may have been confusing myself at the time. Will give it a go again with different settings (copy & paste Ted's to start with at least).

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have not yet deciphered that AVI, but may be it is just wrong for the signal going out.
So i would first not inject any Custom AVI and see how results differs and then generate one matching the content sent by the source but altered by any upscaling performed on it.

This is only needed in case SOURCE is sending wrong infoframe to start with. It is not needed in any other case.
I think this is the key. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
I did follow Ted's post and set Vertex to RGB but same. I was just posting the settings I used for 1080p SDR video as people may not be familiar with the PGenerator. Either way, both have the same issue.

HDFury, fyi, the RPI PGenerator outputs 1080p RGB Rec 709 calibration patterns. The idea it to o/r that with HDR metadata injection to get BT2020 HDR patterns for calibration.

Anyways, I will google and play a bit more. My settings are obviously not outputting BT2020 hence the dodgy picture.
I was just posting the settings I used for 1080p SDR video

If you don't create the config.txt file while the Vertex is receiving the output from the Generator, you can't expect anyone here to be able to assist since we can't see what format is input from the Generator and output from the Vertex.

Your config.txt file shows the Vertex is receiving 4:4:4 input, not RGB. So that is the first thing to address. You don't set the Vertex to RGB, you make the Generator output RGB and send that to the Vertex.

And turn off scaling. Your config.txt file shows you are upscaling 1080P to 4K. If you want to calibrate 4K then have the Generator output 4K RGB. The signal will no longer be bit-perfect if you use the Vertex to scale it up.

After you paste the HDR metadata string from Ted's post into the Vertex custom metadata string field, click the Send HDR button to upload it to the Vertex.

After you paste the AVI string from Ted's post to the Vertex AVI string field, click the Send AVI button.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I emailed datasupport at Logitech again today. I slimmed down the IR code sets to only input 0-3, because they original had way more than the 100 limit you mentioned. Is there a command for showing the vertex display info on screen like when first selecting the input? The default harmony profile had a few commands for OSD, but I don't think they displayed the info I was looking for.
Not sure what you mean exactly, there is OSD Enable, that will force OSD to show up when turned on and that will remove OSD when turned off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure what you mean exactly, there is OSD Enable, that will force OSD to show up when turned on and that will remove OSD when turned off.
I mean the input and output information that is briefly displayed on the TV when first powering on the device. Is there a remote command to display this again?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I mean the input and output information that is briefly displayed on the TV when first powering on the device. Is there a remote command to display this again?
yes OSD turn on and OSD turn off in IR code list.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was just posting the settings I used for 1080p SDR video

If you don't create the config.txt file while the Vertex is receiving the output from the Generator, you can't expect anyone here to be able to assist since we can't see what format is input from the Generator and output from the Vertex.

Your config.txt file shows the Vertex is receiving 4:4:4 input, not RGB. So that is the first thing to address. You don't set the Vertex to RGB, you make the Generator output RGB and send that to the Vertex.

And turn off scaling. Your config.txt file shows you are upscaling 1080P to 4K. If you want to calibrate 4K then have the Generator output 4K RGB. The signal will no longer be bit-perfect if you use the Vertex to scale it up.

After you paste the HDR metadata string from Ted's post into the Vertex custom metadata string field, click the Send HDR button to upload it to the Vertex.

After you paste the AVI string from Ted's post to the Vertex AVI string field, click the Send AVI button.
Thanks. I was just trying to make things easier but did the opposite.

Anyways, went back to the PGenerator. I tried Ted's strings but didn't seem to work that well (OSD didn't show the Luminance & MaxCLL/FLL settings) so used the GUI to generate IF's which seems to do the trick. Except that the OSD shows TXo : RGB 8b. I don't know if that's intended to reflect the original signal or the modified one.

One thing I am not clear on is whether the AVI Infroframe Primaries setting should be RGB or RGB BT 2020? I picked 2020 as it seems to look better (by eye). Am I correct in thinking that AVI Inforframe settings should be set to what the intended output is (as opposed to the actual output). That kinda makes sense if one wants to force the TV to switch to HDR.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Thanks. I was just trying to make things easier but did the opposite.

Anyways, went back to the PGenerator. I tried Ted's strings but didn't seem to work that well (OSD didn't show the Luminance & MaxCLL/FLL settings) so used the GUI to generate IF's which seems to do the trick. Except that the OSD shows TXo : RGB 8b. I don't know if that's intended to reflect the original signal or the modified one.

One thing I am not clear on is whether the AVI Infroframe Primaries setting should be RGB or RGB BT 2020? I picked 2020 as it seems to look better (by eye). Am I correct in thinking that AVI Inforframe settings should be set to what the intended output is (as opposed to the actual output). That kinda makes sense if one wants to force the TV to switch to HDR.
Some of these questions should really be posted in the calibration thread.

That said, you don't want to be changing input signal format to something else on output. That defeats the purpose of using the PGenerator to output bit-perfect RGB signals.

You want the signal to be sent from the Vertex untouched except to include custom HDR metadata. The only reason to use the Vertex here is to add the HDR metadata. Ted provided two HDR strings in his post to use; one for 1000 nit calibration and one for 4000 nit calibration.

Ted also posted the AVI strings you should use. Choose the one that matches the RGB format you output from the PGenerator. Since your config.txt shows that the Vertex is receiving 1080P60 you should use the matching 1080P60 AVI string from his post...

82:02:0D:AE:00:E8:64:10:00:00:00 for 1080p60 RGB (VIC 16 is the decimal code for 1080p60)

The reason he provided those strings is because he said there is a problem with the AVI string provided by Calman.

I notice that you still seem to have Scaling turned ON. To make sure you are outputting the same untouched format that is input, I would select No Scaling on the Scaler tab.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks again. I did have upscaling disabled - not sure what I did but had to switch to Chrome to export the config.

I did try Ted's strings but the OSD didn't show the HDR numbers like Luminance and MaxFALL etc. The thing is the Vertex 2 GUI can also generate the IF from the config dropdowns and they seemed to work better hence, I got the HDR IF to match Ted's exactly for all resolutions save 2160/60 but could not get AVI IF to do the same.

I'll move over to the calibration thread - cheers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi all,

Any user control Vertex2 via Logitech Harmony Elite?

I have followed the YouTube video to create a new device HDfury Vertex2, but I still can't control the Vertex2 via Harmony app or remote.

Any idea? Thank you.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Hi all,

I have followed the YouTube video to create a new device HDfury Vertex2, but I still can't control the Vertex2 via Harmony app or remote.

Any idea? Thank you.
You use IR window or IR extender ?

Make sure the IR code set from Harmony matches the IR code set in Vertex2 > webserver > config page.

if needed email the IR codeset you are using (max 100 ir codes) to datasupport at Logitech.com and ask them to add it to your account.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi all,

Any idea? Thank you.
You use IR window or IR extender ?

Make sure the IR code set from Harmony matches the IR code set in Vertex2 > webserver > config page.

if needed email the IR codeset you are using (max 100 ir codes) to datasupport at Logitech.com and ask them to add it to your account.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I use IR extender and both code in Harmony and config page are set as 1.

I saw a few txt files in firmware folder, should I email them to Logitech? Or I should import the same into Vertex2? If so how to do that?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did try Ted's strings but the OSD didn't show the HDR numbers like Luminance and MaxFALL etc. The thing is the Vertex 2 GUI can also generate the IF from the config dropdowns and they seemed to work better hence, I got the HDR IF to match Ted's exactly for all resolutions save 2160/60 but could not get AVI IF to do the same.
Just an fyi but there is a typo in both of Ted's HDT metadata IF - an extra space in the middle which is why the HDR info is not being shown on the OSD. Remove that and it matches and behaves exactly like the Vertex @ GUI generated IF.

Will let Ted know.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I use IR extender and both code in Harmony and config page are set as 1.

I saw a few txt files in firmware folder, should I email them to Logitech? Or I should import the same into Vertex2? If so how to do that?

Thank you very much.
If you use IR extender, then make sure it is connected to IR sensor input (next to the IR window and not to the IR RX input which is not for IR eye, see usermanual help diagram)

There is one IR code list text file for each IR codeset, so if from webserver > config you have selected IR code set 1, 2 or 3, then should use the code list matching this settings.

You cannot just send the file to Harmony because we have more than 100 IR codes, and Harmony only accept 100 MAX, for ex, we have 100 IR codes just for each custom edid available ! so you need to make a selection that do not exceed 100 IR codes in total and then you can send to Logitech to add to your account but make sure you are using the right input for IR extender first, cause your issue could come from that.

1201 - 1220 of 2392 Posts