AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1695 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See here...https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

Credit to head1st who first posted a few minutes ago in the HdHomeRun Prime Owners Thread...

Silicondust just launched a Kickstarter Campaign for their upcoming HDHomeRun DVR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined
It's not explicitly stated on the Kickstarter site, so I asked via twitter if they're going for CableLabs certification in the US. I'll post any response here.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow very interesting. One of the risks they list is that copy protected content may not be available on all platforms. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to work that out, it's one of the last pieces to call this a true WMC replacement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
Yeah, I just got this email and came here to post.

Awesome news that SD is even looking into this market still.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I'm excited...and a little concerned. Their marketing shpiel sure sounds like there's going to be an ongoing subscription. They'll probably justify it by providing guide data, but I doubt it's gonna be cheap enough for mass appeal.

Will be watching this closely.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm excited...and a little concerned. Their marketing shpiel sure sounds like there's going to be an ongoing subscription. They'll probably justify it by providing guide data, but I doubt it's gonna be cheap enough for mass appeal.

Will be watching this closely.
From the material, its $30 a year and given what you'd save over a multi-DVR subscription through most cable companies, that's a drop in the bucket.

Frankly, this product will NEVER have mass appeal since most people just want to get the cable DVR plug it in and never have to bother with it (but still complain!), but that's ok. What this product CAN do is satisfy the niche HTPC crowd and maybe make it more accessible as well, thus growing it some.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I went on to donate and was extremely disappointed to see the word subscription. No thanks. I can subscribe to a DVR from Comcast, Verizon, Dish, or DirecTV. It's terribly disheartening to see them trying to sell a subscription.

That's NOT the way forward. I'm done with Plex for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I went on to donate and was extremely disappointed to see the word subscription. No thanks. I can subscribe to a DVR from Comcast, Verizon, Dish, or DirecTV. It's terribly disheartening to see them trying to sell a subscription.

This is $30 a year for guide data only; way cheaper than Tivo or any Cable Co equipment renting.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
It's the principal of it. You buy into this equipment to escape recurring charges. Tv guide data is freely available. It already exists. Its the trend in software to move to a subscription model, and I'll fight that anywhere I can.

Even more frightening is what this must mean for WMC. Silicon Dust would have the inside info on the future.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
If it works like the KS page describes, I don't have an issue with $30/yr to pay for guide data. Yeah, I'd prefer a one time fee, but since it includes an ongoing service (guide data) I don't blame them for going with a subscription model. And there is always a possibility they could offer an lifetime plan similar to TiVo.

And it may be a pointless distinction, but I have much less of an issue paying a recurring fee to keep my equipment running as opposed to paying to use someone else's.

Not saying that everyone should be thrilled at the subscription idea, just explaining why I find it less objectionable than others.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's the principal of it. You buy into this equipment to escape recurring charges. Tv guide data is freely available. It already exists. Its the trend in software to move to a subscription model, and I'll fight that anywhere I can.

Even more frightening is what this must mean for WMC. Silicon Dust would have the inside info on the future.
I think you misunderstand the reason for the subscription fee. SiliconDust just makes hardware, they have to pay for the guide data, just as every other hardware distributer like your cable or satellite DVR's. Actually, I consider SiliconDust doing their customers a huge favour by doing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts

You miss the point on this fee. It's no different from schedules direct service and it's an ANNUAL fee for the guide data. Can that data be found freely? Yes. Can it be scraped and used freely? Yes but not without major difficulty (see XMLTV). This data is not provided by SiliconDust but they are paying for access to it in such a way that it can be easily and reliably presented to the software (again see the difficulties with XMLTV and the channel naming and timezone/timing issues).

This is $30 for the year.

Comparatively:

Tivo is $30 for two months.
Two Verizon DVRs are $30 for the month or alternatively $30 for one DVR for 2 months.

NONE of those offer the flexibility of a solution like this so the value is def there. If you look into it I guarantee you'll come to the same conclusion. BTW in paying for Windows, you and all the others who've purchased Windows even without using WMC are paying for the scheduling service.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
It's the principal of it. You buy into this equipment to escape recurring charges. Tv guide data is freely available. It already exists.
TV Guide data is NOT free, it's provided at no direct cost by zap2it and the like, but it is add supported. You can't just build a commercial product based on scraping someone else's copyrighted content and expect not to get sued for it.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
From what I've read so far I'm assuming that the software will be free. The $30 subscription is strictly for guide data. While I'm not a fan of paying any sort of subscription fees I will gladly pay $30 per year for guide data. I'm hoping that they add support to use the software on my unRAID server. If they do, I can replace my full-sized ATX kilowatt guzzling HTPC with a more economical Intel NUC. The energy savings alone will pay for the annual fee. It would be nice if my Ceton InfiniTV6 would be supported as well, but that's probably a stretch.

Since they announced that DRMed content will be recordable and playable I can only assume that the financial goal they are seeking is to cover the cost of getting CableLabs certification. I would have thought it would cost more than $100K so perhaps this is just to supplement what they need to get it certified.

I'm hoping that they finally release the mythical 6-tuner Prime by the time this software is released. Has anyone heard anything about it or is it just another one of those products assigned to limbo?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm a little less grouchy this morning (I had just watched the Penguins lose...again last night) so I'm certainly looking at this in a different light. The word "subscription" just irked me a bit. I'm sure all the sites have TOS disclaimers that ban scraping (the sports leagues have started cracking down on amateur stats sites) but tv channel listings are this known thing. It must just be harder to compile them that I can understand. Do cable streams carry the program info in a similar way to how ATSC streams do?

It would be great if this integrated with HTPC frontend software, but I see it as it's own app on an Android device, game console or smart tv, sitting alongside other media player software.

I don't think the client side software will be free - was that specifically mentioned somewhere? I just imagine there is a lot of proprietary technologies they would have to license and pay for per client. Most Android devices lack MPEG2 decoding. They're powerful enough now to do that in software, but what sort of licensing and/or fees does that require to be done legally?

·
Registered
907 Posts

The problem is that you are confusing the software as a service model with something that actually IS a service. I am no fan of subscription software. I will never own Office 365 because I see no value in paying them annually for something like MS Word. Outside of security patches, once a product like that goes Gold, there's not a heck of a lot of work going forward on it. Subscription doesn't make sense (yes Office 365 is online, so its a bit different, but unless you have a specific need for online, its a waste).

For this DVR you are paying, as others have mentioned, for the guide data more than anything else. Its not a case of buying hardware and then paying a subscription to continue to use it, its a case of a seperate software package that will have a continuing cost to the company in terms of both the guide listings as well as keeping it current with whatever the CableCard group requires in terms of DRM. That costs money continually and either they will go out of business or stop supporting it once sales tapper off if they can't find a way to cover those costs.

I would definitely say that this IS the way forward because finally, we might be able to have a single box that can handle just about all our media needs. A Roku or AppleTV with this app is suddenly a one stop for streaming local media (via Plex or Emby), streaming online media, and DVR. There literally is NOTHING out there that can effectively do that now. The closest we have is the HTPC but there are serious streaming issues there (like Netflix and Amazon now) and it costs a heck of a lot more. If they end up doing an Xbox One app (which depending on how they make the windows app, might already be in the works)? Then you add in the disc play feature missing.

IMO this is a HUGE step forward.

1 - 20 of 1695 Posts