AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See if you can convince me to keep my HDHomeRun.

I have it on the network for over-the-air DTV and it technically, it works great. I have been unable to get it working with a media center though... either WMC or XBMC. WMC cannot find the thing at all, and XBMC won't read the streams (the XBMC forums are no help there.) the HDHomerun documentation is too slim.

I want to watch TV on my projector, so I need to run it thru some sort of decent tv-watching program that I can use with a remote.

I want a USB tuner... is there a better one... one that works with various media centers? The problem with USB tuners: They all have pretty low reviews (been looking on Newegg and Amazon.) I have about $150 to spend... thought I was getting the best one out but I am just plain stuck.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Did you install the HDHomeRun software on your Media Center PC? The PC won't be able to find the tuners until you do. I've got a HDHomeRun on my network and it's shared with several PCs rrunning Win 7 Media Center. I didn't have any problems getting any of the PCs to find it once I installed the HDHomeRun software.

There are lots of USB tuners available, but they aren't all the same. You need to decide if you just want ATSC or if you also want QAM capability as well. Check out this website for everything you wanted to know about PC HDTV tuners:

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/index.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
My HDHR works great with all three of my networked PCs. They worked with Vista WMC and now with Win 7. Download the most recent software and firmware updates 20100213 and then re-run the setup making sure it's set for digital antenna.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah- I did install the HDhomerun software, set it up to be digital antenna, found the stations,. etc. I can view the stations just fine from within HDhomerun and on VLC. I even installed the HDhomerun firmware and software upgrades... It's just that WMC doesn't find the stations. It always locks up while looking.

Anyone ever get it working in XBMC?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/18151983

Did you install the HDHomeRun software on your Media Center PC? The PC won't be able to find the tuners until you do. I've got a HDHomeRun on my network and it's shared with several PCs rrunning Win 7 Media Center. I didn't have any problems getting any of the PCs to find it once I installed the HDHomeRun software.

There are lots of USB tuners available, but they aren't all the same. You need to decide if you just want ATSC or if you also want QAM capability as well. Check out this website for everything you wanted to know about PC HDTV tuners:

Great site BTW... thanks! I hadn't seen that one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the HDhomerun tuner and can not get WMC to download tv setup data. I can use WMC to view a channel in the HD config screen, and I have used the tuner in the past with BeyondTV. The tuner has the right software and firmware. I just can not get WMC to set it up. I tried turning off the firewall but still WMC just hangs up when downloading TV setup data. I'm using a new build with WIN7 64 and the P55chipset.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Are you using 64 bit Win 7? On the Silicon Dust forums there are a few threads of people with problems on 64 bit and there are various fixes such as modifying the registry and such to get it going. So check on their forums and see if it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.