AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found an issue with my HDHomeRun. When it's plugged in, my TVs lose reception. Removing it fixes the issue. I tried putting an amplifier at the antenna, and this did not resolve the issue. Anyone ever seen this before? Is it common? I don't want to bother replacing it if the new one is going to do the same thing. It worked fine on basic cable.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Just to be clear, I assume you have a three way splitter inside the house, with two lines running to the HDHR and one to your set. Your set receives an adequate signal, but only if the HDHR is unplugged?

I've never heard that having a tuner powered up would reduce the signal to an entirely different tuner on an entirely different leg of a splitter.

My only guess is that you're using the HDHR as having an in and out antenna connection. It doesn't. It has two in connections. I'm not sure running the antenna through the HDHR would do what you describe, because I've never tried it, but that's the only way I could see powering the HDHR would have an effect.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, there's a 4 way splitter in the attic, with a feeds going to the bedroom, an office, the living room, and to the HDHR. Even using no splitter at the HDHR (it is a dual tuner model) and connecting the coax to just one tuner or the other, the same issue occurs. It's connected to the HDHR correctly, I've had this device for a couple of years and until moving to the new house with only antenna it had no issues. I'm guessing either the signal was strong enough at the other house due to being on cable that the issue didn't present itself, or something new has happened to the device during the move. It does not seem to be a cabling issue, as I can attach just a splitter at the HDHR end of the coax and it does not kill the signal.

I agree, this is very strange.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Just throwing darts.....It sounds like some sort of grounding issue putting voltage into the ground side of the coax.... Maybe ground loop. You could test by powering the HDHR via extension cord from the same outlet as your other stuff. It might also be something wrong with your house wiring putting like an improperly wired/grounded outlet with contact between the neutral (white) and copper ground wire. As you suggest, it could be that the box got borked during your move. Indeed it is very strange!

BB

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be onto something. I know there are some ground fault issues in this house (it was built in 54) and I haven't gotten the time to fix them yet. There are no ground lines in the house, just white and black (no green or bare copper). I think some of the outlets are improperly wired, because on my HTPC if I lean against it and touch other items I get a mild shock. I've seen this before where outlets were miswired. I've only been in the house a couple of months, and solving the issues up to now has been a big job. I just put the coax in last weekend, and didn't hook up the antenna until Friday. I don't know why I didn't think of the ground issue. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be getting my voltmeter out soon to see if I can locate the cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts