AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Wow! Time to go get my Pi2 and start playing! :)

I didn't notice if it said, I'm betting no Copy Once channels... let's hope. I'll go look on the SD forum tomorrow. Time to go eat!

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about live TV?

I mean if I wanted Live TV I'd just get a cable box and plug it into a TV. The whole point of going with a PC based system, IMO, is to be able to record so I'm not tied to TV schedules, and so I can watch those recordings in whatever room I want without having to worry about where they were recorded.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

I mean if I wanted Live TV I'd just get a cable box and plug it into a TV. The whole point of going with a PC based system, IMO, is to be able to record so I'm not tied to TV schedules, and so I can watch those recordings in whatever room I want without having to worry about where they were recorded.
Where this will come in handy for me is two places: kids' play room and in front of the treadmill. I want live TV and movies in those places but they don't have to have DVR capabilities. This will save two Windows licenses. I can't wait to try it out. I am leery though of the need to update the HDHR to beta firmware so I am going to wait for the bugs to shake out first.

OpenELEC + SD Live TV will be great.

Edit: oh, also for watching the game outside with the projector -- won't need a Windows PC there either. This on the Intel Compute Stick would be awesome.

For me, the whole point of PC-based live TV is to be able to watch wherever I want without CableCo equipment (for one thing, CableCo equipment needs cables and they want $$ to rent it).

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Am I missing something or does this just give me a pretty list of 500 channels rather than the ugly one I used to have? That's only slightly less useless than it was before. Give me an actual guide I can page through or jump to any channel.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
No, you're not alone, but there are others that prefer live TV. Both my wife and son tend to watch live TV whereas I pretty much record everything I watch. I have three Intel NUCs that they both use and the HTPCs all have XBMC and WMC installed on them. They already use XBMC to access my movie library stored on my server so giving them access to live TV via Kodi would simplify things a bit. They both have a tendency of leaving XBMC running instead of exiting it completely to get back to WMC.

I just installed the live TV app through the Kodi add-on list and it was up and running in just a few seconds. I've got a HDHR Prime and three HDHR Dual/Connects and I had almost instant access to both FIOS and OTA locals. What's interesting is that the HTPC I installed it on is configured only for the HDHR Dual/Connects in WMC. This app gives you access to all HDHR tuners on your network.

Am I missing something or does this just give me a pretty list of 500 channels rather than the ugly one I used to have? That's only slightly less useless than it was before. Give me an actual guide I can page through or jump to any channel.
You can jump directly to any channel by typing in the number on a keyboard or remote. It's got an extremely versatile search engine for finding any channel by content, call letter, network name, and probably others. Check out the YouTube video in the link posted at the beginning of the thread for a demonstration on how it works.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Interesting, haven't been able to get it to pull in the guide data yet. But it does work and I was using the new add on to watch TV, hit the guide button on the remote and it brings up the channel listing OK. I then hit the back button to exit to the main Kodi screen. Hit the back button again to clear the Kodi menu and go back to the still playing TV video. Now I hit the guide button and it brings up the Kodi Live TV EPG! I'm then able to use it just as I have been all along with the PVR client and DLNA mode.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Interesting, haven't been able to get it to pull in the guide data yet. But it does work and I was using the new add on to watch TV, hit the guide button on the remote and it brings up the channel listing OK. I then hit the back button to exit to the main Kodi screen. Hit the back button again to clear the Kodi menu and go back to the still playing TV video. Now I hit the guide button and it brings up the Kodi Live TV EPG! I'm then able to use it just as I have been all along with the PVR client and DLNA mode.
I tried what you indicated and it doesn't work the same for me. I also do not have guide data in Kodi, but it does provide the channel listings, but with no descriptions. If I hit the Guide button it takes me to the WMC guide listing. If I hit the Back button it takes me to the main menu in WMC. Hitting Back again has no effect. I have to select the Kodi option on the menu to get back to live TV. The audio from the live TV feed is still paling in the background while all this is taking place. I hit the Guide button again and it takes me back to the WMC startup screen followed by the WMC guide. At no time does the Guide button take me to the Kodi EPG.

I'm using a Harmony One programmed as a WMC remote. I'm going to poke around the Kodi forums and see what's up.

I just checked over at the SiliconDust forums and it looks like others are having guide data issues as well. It looks like there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried what you indicated and it doesn't work the same for me. I also do not have guide data in Kodi, but it does provide the channel listings, but with no descriptions. If I hit the Guide button it takes me to the WMC guide listing. If I hit the Back button it takes me to the main menu in WMC. Hitting Back again has no effect. I have to select the Kodi option on the menu to get back to live TV. The audio from the live TV feed is still paling in the background while all this is taking place. I hit the Guide button again and it takes me back to the WMC startup screen followed by the WMC guide. At no time does the Guide button take me to the Kodi EPG.

I'm using a Harmony One programmed as a WMC remote. I'm going to poke around the Kodi forums and see what's up.

I just checked over at the SiliconDust forums and it looks like others are having guide data issues as well. It looks like there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out.
I posted over at SD but figured you would be here... Do your tuners have access to the internet as I thought you had a segregated network.

As for the guide button, I don't believe that is how you call up the guide and it is set on your pc to launch wmc and view the guide. For me I just click on the right side but I believe the right arrow does the same thing and left arrow closes.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I posted over at SD but figured you would be here... Do your tuners have access to the internet as I thought you had a segregated network.

As for the guide button, I don't believe that is how you call up the guide and it is set on your pc to launch wmc and view the guide. For me I just click on the right side but I believe the right arrow does the same thing and left arrow closes.
My tuners are all on the same network as all of my HTPCs and desktop PCs that have internet access so I can only assume that they also have access.

I can access the channel listing in the manner you described. I just can't get any program information. When the HDHomeRun Live TV add-on starts up it says "No guide data available" right after it attempts to fetch it.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Qam? Updated your tuner(s) to the latest beta needed for this?
Both OTA and FIOS. Latest beta firmware installed on all four HDHRs (three Dual/Connects and one Prime) and latest beta HDHR software installed on HTPC. I even uninstalled the HDHR add-on and reinstalled it from the add-on list to make sure I had the latest. Ran a channel scan on each HDHR and applied the configuration. Still unable to fetch guide data and it is still shown as being unavailable. Channel list is there but no program descriptions. Live TV is otherwise functional.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Does HDHomeRun View get the listings?
Yes. I don't recall ever using HDHR View until you asked about it so I never knew it had guide listings. What's funny is that it looks just like it's supposed to in Kodi so that begs the question, why use Kodi if I can launch HDHR View from my desktop to get exactly the same thing? It appears that the HDHR add-on is nothing more than an app to launch HDHR View within Kodi.

In any case, I still don't get the program data displayed in Kodi.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'm seeing some of the same problems with guide data reported over at the SD forums, if I enable debug mode then I get data. Or if I exit the app and go back in I get data. But it's not reliable at this point. I also noticed when I had been using it that the data was out of date, i.e. the show info it had wasn't current, not sure how much data it pulls or if it refreshes?

Since I have DLNA mode working already, not sure I'd even use this. It might be nice to have it work and not wake up the server side PC if I just wanted to watch live TV without access to previously recorded shows, I guess.

Regardless, it's nice to see someone else working on projects like this, maybe it will lead to other more interesting stuff.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

I don't watch live TV except as background noise when I'm working. For example, I'm "watching" Counting Cars on the History channel in a window next to this browser window.

But, my question is this - if you can't tune live TV, how can you record it? If you don't have a guide and such, you can't set recordings. THAT is why I want Live TV. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts