AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. I am in need of some help/guidance on my project at hand..

I am currently running HD from an antenna. No cable or satellite. I am looking to hook up my 3 TV's (all HD compatible) in the house with HD channels.

Would this configuration work?

- An HDHomeRun with the Antenna input running into the network.

- 3 Media Center Extenders. One for each TV. running Wireless.

- PC with Vista Media Center running.

Would that configuration work out for what i am looking to do? Do i need to add anything to the list? I MAY be getting cable TV soon and i see that the HDHomeRun can provide that for input #2 if needed. What channel(s) from the Cable would i be able to watch through the HDHomeRun? Only the un-encrypted ones?

Thanks for your time!

David

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRT /forum/post/15564329

Hey all.. I am in need of some help/guidance on my project at hand..

I am currently running HD from an antenna. No cable or satellite. I am looking to hook up my 3 TV's (all HD compatible) in the house with HD channels.

Would this configuration work?

- An HDHomeRun with the Antenna input running into the network.

- 3 Media Center Extenders. One for each TV. running Wireless.

- PC with Vista Media Center running.

Would that configuration work out for what i am looking to do?

Quick answer? Yes. That setup will do exactly what you asked. Though, you might only need 2 extenders. Because, if you get a decent video card for the PC, you can use it on your main TV. The PC on the main TV is probably the most common setup you will see here. This is mostly because the actual PC is a lot more flexible than the extenders.

Quote:
I MAY be getting cable TV soon and i see that the HDHomeRun can provide that for input #2 if needed. What channel(s) from the Cable would i be able to watch through the HDHomeRun? Only the un-encrypted ones?

You are exactly correct. Typically the un-encrypted ones are the local channels that are re-broadcast by your cable company. Sometimes you may get the music channels... and sometimes, the cable company opens up the entire standard lineup in QAM. Check your local thread in the link below to see what's available in your area:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just want to add that the HDHomerun has two tuner thus allowing you to record two channels at once however, although it has two inputs (one for each tuner) they both must be of the same type. What I mean is they are either both antennae or both QAM (cable). You can't put antenna on one and cable on the other.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you look in the HDHomerun setup it allows you to select one as OTA(ATSC) and one as QAM so I believe you can have 1 of each at the same time.

I'm running the 12/31/08 version of the software btw.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I meant to say that VMC does not allow you to select one as ATSC and the other as QAM(TVpack). It's either one or the other.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.. i was planning on having the PC just run the MCE and nothing more. It wont be connected to any monitor or tv.. it will be just in a room by itself to host the hard drive to record the shows on and stuff. Will there be a problem with that? That why i said 3 Extenders in the beginning project.

As for the extenders.... can the 3 tvs be recording a tv show at the same time? Or since the HDHomeRun only has two tuners, can i only record two shows?

Puwaha: Are you saying that pretty much what i can get from the Air is pretty much all the "free recordable" shows im going to be able to get off the cable and no more?

Thanks for the help so far!

David

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The extender is not doing the recording, it is really just a remote terminal for the VMC PC, so you will be limited to recording two programs.

Also, to stream HD to the extenders, you need 802.11n, preferably on the 5 GHz band. Some extenders, such as the HP x280n or the Linksys DMA2100/2200, already include 802.11n and work at 2.4 or 5 GHz. The Xbox 360 is also a great extender, but you will need to add wireless.

You might find that you have problems streaming HD to three extenders at the same time from a single 802.11n access point. The more extenders you can connect via wired Ethernet, the better. Another option is powerline networking.

-Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info DPlettner. I figured that i would run into throttle problems if i were to use all 3 at the same time.

The HDHomeRun really doesn't go into detail on how to go about setting stuff up. Would i just install their software and then look for the tuner in VMC during setup? I dont have to do much with the HDHomeRun software since im not using the PC as the "recorder tv watcher", right?

I'm guessing i would need at least a dual core CPU in the pc to house the 3 extenders without lag of any kind? 2/4 gigs of ram? I'm guessing a basic GPU would be fine since i wont be using the PC as a watcher itself?

As for the type of extender. I'm looking into getting a LINKSYS DMA2100. But for some reason its listed as $249.99 on newegg but i can buy it for less than $100 new on eBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-Media-Ce...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the info, its helping!

David

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRT /forum/post/15568148

The HDHomeRun really doesn't go into detail on how to go about setting stuff up. Would i just install their software and then look for the tuner in VMC during setup? I dont have to do much with the HDHomeRun software since im not using the PC as the "recorder tv watcher", right?

There are instructions here:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/instructions

Setting up the HDHR and WMC for OTA is a piece of cake.

As mentioned above, while the HDHR can have one input connected to cable and one input connected to an antenna, VMC only supports one type of connection at time.

If you want to connect the HDHR to cable, it is a bit more complex. Officially, VMC (pre-TV Pack) does not support digital cable. However, SiliconDust has a QAM wrapper that tricks VMC into making it work. Once configured, it works very well, but it is a bit complex to set up.

With the TV Pack, VMC supports digital cable, and setup is much easier. However, the TV Pack switches the file format from .ms-dvr to .wtv. Everything will still work with the extenders, but there are many more tools available to manipulate .ms-dvr files than .wtv files.

You PC specs should be fine. The PC will be doing nothing but moving data around. You could proabably even get by with a bit less, but I would not bother trying to be too cheap. With two streams coming in from the HDHR and possibly three streams going out to extenders, you will want a gigabit switch.

Dell.com had the DMA2100 on sale for $59.99 before the Holidays, and I purchased two. Now they are $149.99. If you are willing to wait, you might see a good deal again.

-Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts