AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 DualTV

Still trying to decide which to get. As I understand it I will only beable to get digial in-the-clear QAM channels from the HDHomerun + HD (using my cable signal, no antenna). With the DualTV I will get just the analog channels. How do I know what channels are what? I've done some searching and I see a refrence that I should 'lookup my local area channel list in the local forum'. I've looked but I can seem to find the info I need. My source is Comcast, Washington DC.

Is there anything else I won't be able to do w/ the HDHomeRun + SageTV that I could do with the DualTV + MCE other than view analog channels? I like the HDHomeRun b/c I could watch TV on any of my PC's on the network, as I understand it.

Sorry if this is a basic question but I couldn't find a clear answer in the HDHomeRun forums.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You will only be able to watch digital channels (either ota of via your cable provider) with the hdhomerun. If you want to watch analog cable channels, you will need the dualtv.

Also, if you want to use the hdhomerun in mce for over the air digital channels, you will the analog card anyways. Mce 2005 requires an analog tuner.

These two devices are completely different. You need to decide if you want to watch analog or digital channels.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_2kgt /forum/post/0

How do I know what channels are what?

Chad

Basically the simple answer is this:

Nvidia Dual TV if hooked up directly to the coax will tune the same channels that if you connected your coax stright to your TV, Generally its the SD basic cable channels 2 - 99.

Then QAM is anything that needs a cable box from your cable company. However there are two forms of QAM 64 and 256, and then on top of that there are encrypted and un-encrypted forms of QAM.

The HD home run will pickup/tune ANY of the un-encrypted QAM 64 and 256 channels. Basically it'll pick up all the local HD chanels that are re-broadcasted on your cable network. It'll pick up maybe DisoveryHD, ESPN, ect.. unless your cable provider encrypts them, it WON'T however get HBOHD or PayPerViewHD.

- Josh

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:

How do I know what channels are what?

Since no one else has responded to your actual query, I would first check to see if your cable company has a website (most do) that lists their channel lineup and tells you which channels are digital. If you can't tell, try calling them (not that the bozos that they hire for minimum wage and don't train are likely to know anything). Being able to watch TV on any of your networked PC's is more a function of the DVR software that you are using than which type of tuner you use (if the computer with the tuner acts as a video server). It's true that the HDHomeRun is a networked device, but you would run into conflicts if more than one computer tries to access it at the same time; using a server is recommended in that case. MCE could support other PC's, but doesn't. You can, however, watch unencrypted MCE-recorded TV (but not live TV) on other computers. I have an HDHomeRun, and I like it, but my Time-Warner affiliate basically only broadcasts ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS via clear-QAM--not even all of my local DTV channels. I use the HDHomeRun and a dual-tuner analog card, and a cable co. DVR for encrypted digital channels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/0

These two devices are completely different. You need to decide if you want to watch analog or digital channels.

Ok, so what if all the channels I want to watch are broadcast in both analog and digital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/0

Then QAM is anything that needs a cable box from your cable company. However there are two forms of QAM 64 and 256, and then on top of that there are encrypted and un-encrypted forms of QAM.

The HD home run will pickup/tune ANY of the un-encrypted QAM 64 and 256 channels. Basically it'll pick up all the local HD chanels that are re-broadcasted on your cable network. It'll pick up maybe DisoveryHD, ESPN, ect.. unless your cable provider encrypts them, it WON'T however get HBOHD or PayPerViewHD.

- Josh

Some TV's these days are coming w/ QAM tuners, so no calbe box needed to view unencrypted QAM. I understand I won't view premium channels w/o a cable box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet /forum/post/0

Since no one else has responded to your actual query, I would first check to see if your cable company has a website (most do) that lists their channel lineup and tells you which channels are digital. If you can't tell, try calling them (not that the bozos that they hire for minimum wage and don't train are likely to know anything). Being able to watch TV on any of your networked PC's is more a function of the DVR software that you are using than which type of tuner you use (if the computer with the tuner acts as a video server). It's true that the HDHomeRun is a networked device, but you would run into conflicts if more than one computer tries to access it at the same time; using a server is recommended in that case. MCE could support other PC's, but doesn't. You can, however, watch unencrypted MCE-recorded TV (but not live TV) on other computers. I have an HDHomeRun, and I like it, but my Time-Warner affiliate basically only broadcasts ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS via clear-QAM--not even all of my local DTV channels. I use the HDHomeRun and a dual-tuner analog card, and a cable co. DVR for encrypted digital channels.

Thank you. So only 1 PC can connect to the HDHomeRun at a time? Sort of defeats the purpose of being a network device in my book. Sounds like the best idea for me is to get the DualTV card now for the server, along with SageTV Media Center (for the server) and SateTV Client (for each PC I want to watch TV on)? Then when HD cards have had time to catchup, upgrade later to HD.

I have emailed Comcast asking them what channels are unencrypted digital, I'll probably get back a link to their entire programming guide...

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:

Ok, so what if all the channels I want to watch are broadcast in both analog and digital?

Get both types of tuners.

Quote:
Some TV's these days are coming w/ QAM tuners, so no calbe box needed to view unencrypted QAM. I understand I won't view premium channels w/o a cable box.

Correct, and the HD Homerun is the same way. Does the same exact thing in terms of QAM tuning.

Quote:
Thank you. So only 1 PC can connect to the HDHomeRun at a time? Sort of defeats the purpose of being a network device in my book. Sounds like the best idea for me is to get the DualTV card now for the server, along with SageTV Media Center (for the server) and SateTV Client (for each PC I want to watch TV on)? Then when HD cards have had time to catchup, upgrade later to HD.

I have emailed Comcast asking them what channels are unencrypted digital, I'll probably get back a link to their entire programming guide...

There is Beta support for HD Homerun in Sage, so you could ideal have SageTV do all the tuning for HD Homerun, and then still use Sage Client for the rest of the PC's.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes, you use one PC as a host (even a program like VLC can do it) to receive the signal from the HDHR and re-stream it to any number of listening PCs using multicast. Same thing goes for SageTV using one as a host and the client on other PCs. Multicast is a bit of voodoo, at best, and might explain why this unit doesn't do that by default. Few environments are setup well enough to actually do multicast properly anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.