AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I keep getting a Viewing Conflict in WMC and I don't understand why.  It says I have no tuner available but I know that can't be the case.  This is the 3 tuner model and I've disconnected anything else that would be using the tuner and I still get the conflict.

This started happening at the same time on both HTPCs so I feel pretty comfortable in saying that its probably an issue with my router settings or my HDHR Prime settings.  Restarting my HTPC sometimes resolves the issue but not every time.

Right I'm using a Motorola SBG6580 Model/Router Combo and the HDHR and the two HTPCs are connected directly to that - no other routers or switches are between those particular devices.  

I appreciate any help that you guys could give me... thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are your programs overlapping?? Two programs back-to-back on the same channel will use two tuners and will overlap before and after scheduled recording time.

On a side note; I recently was seeing tuner not available, and tuner signal errors. My root cause of these errors was the disk drive going bad (WD-Green).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not believe that my programs are overlapping because the problem would realistically go away after a couple of minutes but I've had it on there for much longer.

in fact, one HTPC won't play anything... It just says that there is conflict.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have both a Prime and a HDHomerun ATSC. Since the two WMC apps know nothing about the other, if the tuners are in use there isn't one to select. That being said, sometimes trying to pick a channel from the other device can reset this... say I can't gain access to the Prime, asking for an OTA on the HDHomerun may work and then the Prime can be seen (when asking for a channel off of the Prime).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available/0_100#post_24527389

I have both a Prime and a HDHomerun ATSC. Since the two WMC apps know nothing about the other, if the tuners are in use there isn't one to select. That being said, sometimes trying to pick a channel from the other device can reset this... say I can't gain access to the Prime, asking for an OTA on the HDHomerun may work and then the Prime can be seen (when asking for a channel off of the Prime).

That would make sense but I've tried it after powering the down the HTPC and physically removing all network connections (no wireless on this one).  So it doesn't make sense that a 2nd HTPC could cause any kind of conflict.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available/0_100#post_24523128

Make sure your Prime firmware is up to date.
I believe it is but I will double check that - thanks!  

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available#post_24522094

Are your programs overlapping?? Two programs back-to-back on the same channel will use two tuners and will overlap before and after scheduled recording time.

Is there some setting that needs to be changed to enable this? I have a Prime and use WMC, and back-to-back shows don't overlap for me. Rather, WMC cuts off right at the end of the first show and starts recording the second show, so if the PC clock is off, then the transition is annoying (the first minute of the second show might actually show up in the first show). I've been getting around this by doing manual synchronization of the PC clock every once in awhile.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available#post_24527624

Is there some setting that needs to be changed to enable this? I have a Prime and use WMC, and back-to-back shows don't overlap for me. Rather, WMC cuts off right at the end of the first show and starts recording the second show, so if the PC clock is off, then the transition is annoying (the first minute of the second show might actually show up in the first show). I've been getting around this by doing manual synchronization of the PC clock every once in awhile.

There are settings to control pre and post show recording time, I think it give you a range between 0-5 minutes. (buried in WMC settings). You can also synchronize the PC clock from the web; save you from manually setting the clock. Look up the latest NTP servers, I think there may have been some changes in the last few years.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/set-recording-options-in-windows-media-center

·
Registered
112 Posts

I believe the option in WMC is called "padding" where it will allow you to record a bit before and a bit after a show if it tends to start early.  I used to record PTI on ESPN and it had a habit of running a little long sometimes.

I've seen that error quite a bit and it's a very vague error.  My parents have a system in their house using WMC and they get it a lot when their powerline adapters stop communicating correctly.  I'm sure you have, but I'd make sure that you can ping the HDHR device when that error comes up.  If you log into it via the web you can see what exactly the tuners are doing and whether they're locked or not which will tell you why they're being used and for what.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available#post_24527702

There are settings to control pre and post show recording time, I think it give you a range between 0-5 minutes. (buried in WMC settings).

Right, I have the pre set to 2 and post set to 5, and if shows aren't back to back, I get the 7 minutes of padding expected. If the shows are back to back, show 1 gets the 2 minute pre but cuts off exactly at the end, and show 2 starts right after show 1 cuts off then gets the 5 minute post. It's only when shows are back to back that this happens, despite 2 spare tuners that could be used to get the full padding. I wonder if there's some other setting I'm missing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available/0_100#post_24528039

I've seen that error quite a bit and it's a very vague error.  My parents have a system in their house using WMC and they get it a lot when their powerline adapters stop communicating correctly.  I'm sure you have, but I'd make sure that you can ping the HDHR device when that error comes up.  If you log into it via the web you can see what exactly the tuners are doing and whether they're locked or not which will tell you why they're being used and for what.
The strange thing is, when I check the HDHR status it says that there is nothing on each tuner.  
tunerstatus.png 485k .png file

And I'm not entirely sure how to ping the HRHR Prime.  

I am clearly missing something.  I have a help ticket out to Silicon Dust... fingers crossed.  
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available/0_100#post_24523128

Make sure your Prime firmware is up to date.
I checked.. it is

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting, I have two TV's running MCE. Luckily the main TV has had no issues, but the TV upstairs has had this problem for a couple of days now. Strange thing is I don't think it is related to HDhomerun, but rather MCE because when i use the basic HDhomerun viewer no problems, but the MCE will not tune properly. About to go upstairs and tinker, I'll probably just reinstall a back up that I do every week and back track to a usable state and go from there. Wondering if others are having problems. Some type of update possibly?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

And the saga continues...

So uninstalling XBMC was a weird fluke.  It did enough to get it working temporarily but didn't solve the problem because a few hours later I had the same problem.  After tinkering a bit I found that I could temporarily get my channels back on by opening the HDHR Setup menu but every time I'd open it I would get an error regarding UPnP.  After about 20 emails with Silicon Dust Tech Support (who is GREAT by the way) we determined that my Comcast Modem/Router combo doesn't play nice with the Prime.  

It was suggested that I get a separate switch to use in place of the router on my Modem and run everything from there.  I'm picking one up on Amazon and it should be here today.  I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
I hope that does the trick. FWIW, I had exactly the same issue back when I had a Prime, which I ultimately replaced with Ceton. I've read many times that later firmwares fixed the problem, but I see that may not be the case. Mine wasn't ever going through a router.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dang...We all didn't think about the using a switch... Great that you have it fixed now.

Some routers have issues passing UPnP frames between ports. Silicondust should have recommended to it's users to install a switch as a minimum requirement.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat  /t/1524004/hdhr-prime-and-wmc-viewing-conflict-no-tuner-available/0_100#post_24555312

Dang...We all didn't think about the using a switch... Great that you have it fixed now.

Some routers have issues passing UPnP frames between ports. Silicondust should have recommended to it's users to install a switch as a minimum requirement.

yeah... but in their defense it was one of the first things they told me to do after contacting Tech Support AND they were exceptionally quick to respond.

I still give Silicon Dust an "A" rating. 

1 - 20 of 21 Posts