AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nutshell: I want to stream local media content and internet content to two different screens in two different rooms.

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient and cost-effective way to do so.

Room 1:

Has a HD projector and dedicated surround sound setup.

I want to watch both SD and HD content (BD-ISOs, BD rips etc) via a media player in the best quality possible.

For several reasons, in particular SD upscaling quality, a Dune player (Base or Smart H1/D1) is top of my list.

If I can additionally "somehow" get internet streams onto the projector it's a nice bonus, but far from essential.

Room 2:

Independently, my old TV in the living room just died and it's time to replace it with a HDTV.

I definitely want to watch internet streams (Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, whatever) on it.

I would also like to "tap" into the local media content I have stored in the other room.

While obviously I want HD video quality, HD audio capabilities is not that important here.

This room will be mainly used to watch TV shows and such, with maybe the occasional movie thrown in,

but for "serious" cinema entertainment I'll use the projector.

I still need to figure out how to connect the two rooms since running a Cat5 LAN cable will be tough.

I'm looking at a Powerline or MoCA since I read that WLAN (even 802.11N) doesn't really cut it for HD video.

Given this situation, here are my questions:

Could I stream content from the Dune to a DLNA-enabled TV?

If yes, what are the limitations and would they really affect me?

Can I even stream HD video using DLNA?

What about HD audio, is it transcoded on the fly or would these files not play at all?

What about the other way around - can I get internet content on a Dune via DLNA?

Is buying an "internet/DLNA capable" HDTV even worth the extra money (i.e. will I be using this feature)?

I read that the DLNA implementation in HDTVs depends on the manufacturer (Samsung a bit better, LG worse).

Would I be better off getting a HDTV without LAN and investing in a "cheaper" second media streamer instead?

Which one? I'm looking at Boxee, WD Live, Mede8er, Roku...

How well would any of them interface with the Dune?

Finally, how do uPNP AV server software (PlayOn, TVersity, Twonky...) fit in this picture?

If I subscribed to one of these, could I feed online streams to both rooms, independently, from one computer?

I apologize if this post seems confused - I guess it reflects state of my mind right now!

I've done a lot of reading on all the various aspects but I can't understand how to make it "fit together".

I don't want to invest in redundant hardware, but I don't know whether I'm trying to cut too many corners...

Edit: I just found this post on a different forum.

It clears up some of my confusion, but doesn't answer my question of how I can make a Dune and another streamer (Boxee?) "interact"...

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?
Also, what exactly is the state of DLNA now, at the end of 2010? Is it still as "crappy" as last year, or has there been any progress?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

I realize that my question screams "NAS" but since that's not in my budget right now, I wonder whether I could remotely access an internal HDD in a media streamer.

Any advice, please?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmarties /forum/post/19563658

Bump.

I realize that my question screams "NAS" but since that's not in my budget right now, I wonder whether I could remotely access an internal HDD in a media streamer.

Any advice, please?

If the Media Player has internal HDD support it should be able to stream media content to each other as long as they are connected via the same router in a private home network.

For example I have the Nixeus Fusion HD with an installed 2TB internal HDD and my brother has the Popcorn Hour A-200 with 1TB internal HDD. I can stream media both ways using Network Shares(SAMBA) with the Fusion HD and the PCH A-200 by entering the Fusion HD's ip address in the network settings of the PCH-A200... Both Media Players with an installed internal HDD are functioning as a Network Attached Server (NAS). I can access media content remotely via wireless or ethernet cable over the network with any of my PCs and Laptops...

I have PlayOn and TVersity and I can stream content to both of these devices independently - bandwidth permitted depending on content...

Does this answer your question OP?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/19566813

If the Media Player has internal HDD support it should be able to stream media content to each other as long as they are connected via the same router in a private home network.

Does that mean I can actually browse for the content on the respective players? i.e. it's not just the video stream, but I can actually choose what I want to watch from another room? (I'm pretty sure that's the case but I want to be certain)

Quote:

I have PlayOn and TVersity and I can stream content to both of these devices independently - bandwidth permitted depending on content...

So you only need ONE subscription for both players (since the uPnP server only "sees" one computer), correct?

May I ask how you have your home network connected? Cat5/6 or something else? Would MoCA be faster/more reliable than Powerline?

Quote:

Does this answer your question OP?

Yes, pretty much so. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.