AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've been struggling with my options....I want the most complete unit that I can use for a good while down the road. I mostly want play my SD content via a external USB drive and output it via HDMI to my AVR (DTS MS and True HD equipped) and also streaming via Cat5 to a Xbox XMBC (currently building it). I do not currently have any HD content nor a dedicated Blu Ray player in my HT but kind of believe that it may just be cheaper to buy a external PC BD player/burner and rip with AnyDVD. So then I need the option to be able to play the HD content in the future. Here's some things I currently need help understanding:

1.) The Dune can not write NTFS format and all my media is on a NTFS formatted USB external drive and I do not have the storage room to temporarily move it while I reformat it to EXT2/3. So I wonder what is going to happen if I plug it into the Dune and access it via my network to add new media. Am I going to have conflicts here? Would it write to the drive in EXT2/3 format and then if I ever plug it directly back into my PC is Windows going to have problems? I know there are EXT2 drivers for Windows out there (I just downloaded Ext2Fsd just to have) but I worry about file corruption and compatibility. Worse yet if I plug it into the Dune and it formats it to EXT2/3 and I loose all my media I will be pissed. The C200 claims to write in NTFS but according to review by Hi-Jack over a MPCCLUB if you use any NMT apps it requires the EXT2/3 format. Worse yet from what I read on the same review I couldn't use my USB external drive due to the C200 lacking a USB slave port. I don't understand this as I see at least 4 USB ports. Does it matter, what do I not understand?

2.) I like the fact the C200 comes with and RF remote and the Wifi option at a lower total price then the Dune. On duneplayer.com I see there is an option for RF remote and WiFI but no clue on price. Anyone know?

3.) I want a nice looking interface with metadata, cover art,fan art, etc pulled from IMDB and other sources. So, PCH200 can use YAMJ+Aeon and there is plans for a "RICH GUI". How are these actually installed and is it hard to do. What does Dune use? Anyone used TViXiE? I guess a lot of people are using My Movies but that's if your using a media server to serve the Dune.

I guess it's going to take some hands on experience to figure it all out but I hate to spend 350+ and not get what I need/want. Feel free to chime in about other products as well if they seem to fit the bill.

·
Registered
380 Posts
2.) I like the fact the C200 comes with and RF remote and the Wifi option at a lower total price then the Dune. On duneplayer.com I see there is an option for RF remote and WiFI but no clue on price. Anyone know?

Feature is currently not available so no one knows how much it will cost.

3.) I want a nice looking interface with metadata, cover art,fan art, etc pulled from IMDB and other sources. So, PCH200 can use YAMJ+Aeon and there is plans for a "RICH GUI". How are these actually installed and is it hard to do.

For the "RICH GUI" no one knows since no details have been released yet. Hopefully more information will be available soon since the popbox which will use a similair interface is supposed to be released next month.

Actually the intial setup of YAMJ+Aeon is kind of a pain in the ass. There are a couple of tutorials but since eveyones setup is a little different there is definetly some trial and error. Once the initial setup is done and working there is very little to do. You just run a batch file and YAMJ does the reset for you. If there are titles that are not pickup correctly then you just need to create a nfo file in the directory containing the movie with a link to the correct IMDB movie and then rerun YAMJ.

What does Dune use? Anyone used TViXiE? I guess a lot of people are using My Movies but that's if your using a media server to serve the Dune.

Most people are using My Movies because the other solutions are generally not ready for prime time yet. TViXiE is close, but you still have to manually adjust some of the files to get it to work. It will probably be working correctly without a need to adjust the files in a month or so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. Not 100% sure on this but I would think that the file system is an either / or kind of thing, either you use NTFS or ext but not both on the same storage. That's usually how file systems work. If you can afford it you could pick up another USB drive (1TB is not too expensive), format it ext 2/3 and move the media over. I want to say you can do this through windows, google around and see what turns up.

Can't address the other items you mentioned

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agonized over this decision for almost 3 months before I ordered my Dune. It totally looks like it belongs in your HT stack, unlike the A-200, Popbox, or Boxee. It also works with minimal setup. Regardless of the UI, which isn't awful, the thing actually delivers what it claims. That was what pushed me over the edge. Hoping and praying that PCH would get things lined up just stopped working for me. As Nitemage mentioned, there are other options out there for the GUI, but they aren't ready (most of the good ones are in French). But did I mention that it works? On the original firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage /forum/post/18205860

For the "RICH GUI" no one knows since no details have been released yet. Hopefully more information will be available soon since the popbox which will use a similair interface is supposed to be released next month.

Rich UI Preview Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18206025

@ Tom Cruise / Katie Holmes

Sorry, had to lol @ this.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is /forum/post/18206063

Rich UI Preview Thread

I think the PCH will be the only player that will be able to get the Flash UI since it has stuck with Sigma (as opposed to Dune and HDX-BD1 which uses its own code). We should hopefully know soon enough if the Flash UI is worth the wait. I am probably more interested to see what the jukebox guys do, as hopefully we should start seeing the jukeboxes like YAMJ, etc... in flash (I think UMC will probably be the first out of the gate)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is /forum/post/18206063

Dang it dbone, now look what ya done. You now have others calling me a cross gender has been actor.

Anyways, I've waited this long and I have the Xbox/XBMC to play with for a while. By the time I decide to purchase the PCH "Rich GUI" should be out and maybe I can research a little more on it and the TiViXe development. I'll check out the Yamj guide too.

The EXT vs NTFS file issue thing really drives me nuts as I do not have hands on experience. I agree with Monkeysnax that the tow systems would not be compatable and the solution would be another 1TB drive if I can afford it. That's just it, I don't think the significant other would understand this extra unjust purchase when we are trying to consolidate bills to save toward buying property to build our dream house on in a few years.

The RF remote is just a nice extra to the PCH C200. My DirectTV box has this and it's great that when I go to bed I can turn the same show on in the bedroom and still have full control. In price terms that leaves a negative mark on the Dune (HD or BD) as it is already as much as the C200 with the miniPCI option and no BD drive added. I guess when you add a BD drive to the C200 the cost difference is slim. However I imagine the function of the BD drive that come in the Dune BD is less problematic then any you would put in the C200, otherwise there is not a need for a list on what to use. Mike at Dune player has left me a voice mail and I returned his call to leave him a voice mail. Hopefully if he calls back he can give me a clue.

Why does the Dune only play retail BD disc's? Is it a license/copy protection issue?

This hobby is too expensive for a poor man like me......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts