AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I see it will support DSD for SACD. As far as better support with current and future PC standards, I'm not to concerned about that. Thank goodness the Elite 74TXVi I just ordered has i.Link already for SACD. I was worried there for a second that I would need to cancel my order! ;)

P.S. Any idea when it will be available in new products?

Thanks for the post!

Patrick

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
let me be the 1st to predict that there will be a version 1.3! :)

I also predict that there will be a better alternative to hdmi for pc's so stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3
HDMI 1.3 is being formulated and will support DD+/DTS-HD officially. There is a chance that HDMI 1.1/1.2 will support at least DTS-HD transmission. Let's wait for CES.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by avaholic
I see it will support DSD for SACD. As far as better support with current and future PC standards, I'm not to concerned about that. Thank goodness the Elite 74TXVi I just ordered has i.Link already for SACD. I was worried there for a second that I would need to cancel my order! ;)

P.S. Any idea when it will be available in new products?

Thanks for the post!

Patrick
The earliest I know is Q2/2006. But there could be earlier ones.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
so, for these new receivers supporting 1.1, can they be upgraded to 1.3 via firmware? I know this is more of a theoritcal question/answer at this point. I do have a RX-V4600 on order ...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
so, for these new receivers supporting 1.1, can they be upgraded to 1.3 via firmware? I know this is more of a theoritcal question/answer at this point. I do have a RX-V4600 on order ...
I don't know for sure, but there seems to be a big barrier between 1.1 and 1.2. So, I guess the authentic answer is "no".

But if you are not interested in SACD support, I think existing HDMI 1.1 AVRs can be upgraded to get digital audio stream in DTS-HD and/or DD+ format, even though it's still not HDMI 1.2 or 1.3. Also as Kris Deering elaborated, HDMI 1.1 AVRs can receive decoded 7.1/96/24 PCM from DD+/DTS-HD contents through HDMI 1.1 link. We will hear more concrete and detailed news around CES 2006 time frame.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
HDMI 1.3 is being formulated and will support DD+/DTS-HD officially. There is a chance that HDMI 1.1/1.2 will support at least DTS-HD transmission. Let's wait for CES.
I have heard the same information. However, It is very unlikely that DTS-HD will be available with v1.1 or 1.2. There is also much speculation that V1.3 will not only require a software change but also hardware modifications. Despite everyone's enthusiasm for this simplifying technology there are already birthing pains in the compatibility area. For example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=571447&page=1

If we are honest with ourselves, HDMI is still a somewhat moving target. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheoaustin
I've seen Kris Deering from Secrets mention quite a few times that HDMI will pass the audio signal at least with ver. 1.1. From what he hears, the codecs for decoding the HD audio signals will be in the DVD players and will convert the audio signal to a lossless form of PCM audio stream, similar to Hi-Rez audio now (24bit/96kHz). This PCM audio stream can pass the current 1.1 version (as you know it can pass Hi-Rez DVD-A via PCM).

I'm kind of unclear about the video side of things though. Presumably 1.1 should be able to pass it as well.

We'll see I guess!

Best regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGUY
Despite everyone's enthusiasm for this simplifying technology there are already birthing pains in the compatibility area. For example:

If we are honest with ourselves, HDMI is still a somewhat moving target. Buyer beware.
This problem was hardware related and has been solved as of today with a brand new 74TXVi installed at the members house by Magnolias free of charge. Most likely it was just a faulty HDMI port or something simliar. In anycase it was not a compatibilty problem.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
I have heard the same information. However, It is very unlikely that DTS-HD will be available with v1.1 or 1.2. There is also much speculation that V1.3 will not only require a software change but also hardware modifications. Despite everyone's enthusiasm for this simplifying technology there are already birthing pains in the compatibility area. For example:

Actually, I am sure that HDMI 1.2 already requires chip/board changes, at least for SACD support. But that's not the end of the world. If SACD support is not the requirement, there is a good chance that AVRs with HDMI 1.1 will last long with HDMI-equipped BD/HDDVD players. It is also technically possible for SACD players to output decoded 88.2kHz/24-bit 6-ch PCM over HDMI 1.1 for SACD playback.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Despite everyone's enthusiasm for this simplifying technology there are already birthing pains in the compatibility area. For example:

This problem was hardware related and has been solved as of today with a brand new 74TXVi installed at the members house by Magnolias free of charge. Most likely it was just a faulty HDMI port or something simliar. In anycase it was not a compatibilty problem.

Patrick

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
YAVOHDMI! :p

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
This is all fine and dandy except the new word on the street is that the industry will be moving away from HDMI very shortly for a new universal adapter that is backward compatible with HDMI. Audioholics just did a story on the connection. Of course none of this has been put out officially, but I've heard it from a few people in the industry already. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Quote:

I also predict that there will be a better alternative to hdmi for pc's so stay tuned.
DisplayPort?

See info here.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering
This is all fine and dandy except the new word on the street is that the industry will be moving away from HDMI very shortly for a new universal adapter that is backward compatible with HDMI. Audioholics just did a story on the connection. Of course none of this has been put out officially, but I've heard it from a few people in the industry already. Gotta love it!
That figures!! :rolleyes:

There is always going to be another standard it seems like.

Looks like HDMI never really even made it then. And people have been telling me i.Link won't last! It's been around longer than HDMI at least, and by the looks of it will probably outlast HDMI, it terms of audio anyway! :p

Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone know if the current I-link (firewire) will be able to pass the new DTS-HD and/or DD+ format? I wonder if it has enough bandwidth? If so then I-link will live on much longer then we think.

I absolutely love my I-linked Pioneer dv59avi dvd player to my Yamaha RX-z9. IT ROCKS! with SACD and DVD audio..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troytn
Does anyone know if the current I-link (firewire) will be able to pass the new DTS-HD and/or DD+ format? I wonder if it has enough bandwidth? If so then I-link will live on much longer then we think.

I absolutely love my I-linked Pioneer dv59avi dvd player to my Yamaha RX-z9. IT ROCKS! with SACD and DVD audio..
Yep, i.Link will be able to pass the HD audio formats. But I think only Toshiba plans on designing their HD DVD players with i.Link as the audio connection. At least that's what I remember Kris D. saying.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering
As long as the new standard (I'm assuming DisplayPort) is backwards compatible, then I wouldn't see an issue as far as switching thru a receiver or pre/pro. From reading articles on DisplayPort it sounded like it was more oriented towards computers and displays than general CE produts, but I'm sure it could be used anywhere.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.