AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 27 foot HDMI cable to go from my 4X2 HDMI switch to my PJ. However, Monoprice only has a 25 foot cable that is HDMI 1.3a spec. I could get their 30 foot cable but it is 1.2b spec, and given that all my HDMI cables that will be going from the source to the HDMI switch would be 1.3a spec, it does not make sense for me to get the output cable to the PJ to be 1.2b spec. So now I could get a 2 foot extension cable that is 1.3a spec, would that be a good solution?

Does all this HDMI spec 1.3a and 1.2b even matter with cables?

I have read that you need 1.3a spec for it to pass Deep Color. Is this true?

Btw, I am totally bypassing my Yamaha receiver as it is 5 years old and has no HDMI inputs or outputs, I will simply be using it for the audio as I will hook it up with Toslink cables from the sources (BD Player, DVR, XBOX, Media Player) while the video is routed to the HDMI switch and then output to my TV and PJ using the 4X2 switch from Monoprice.

Does this sound like a workable solution for my connections?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The reason that most cables beyond 25' are not certified for 1.3a is that it's difficult to get the required frequency response beyond that distance. Adding an additional 1.3a cable to go beyond 25' won't help, since the added length will reduce the frequency response, the same as a longer cable.

However, chances are the 30' Monoprice cable will work fine for you, which would likely be better than adding a short cable to the 25 footer. But if you are still concerned, then probably the best reasonably priced HDMI cable for distance is the Beldon bonded-pair cable sold by Blue Jeans Cable.

You need 1.3a specified hardware to pass deep color but that doesn't really apply to cables since they all have the same connections (except for 1.4).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts