AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I already have the Add-on and returned my A-2 a few weeks ago. At the time $400 for basically getting terrific sd upconversion was not worth it for me(even though it was quite painful watching Blood Diamond last night on the 360) . If I'm going to upgrade It would have to be for something like HDMI 1.3 and the upconversion. Then buy the Onkyo 605 shortly after. Of course nobody knows if it will be in the A-3 but what I was wondering is adding the 1.3 port that much more expensive or would that feature be omitted so that the XA-3 would bolster more sales. Anybody have some insight into this?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 /forum/post/0

Hey guys I already have the Add-on and returned my A-2 a few weeks ago. At the time $400 for basically getting terrific sd upconversion was not worth it for me(even though it was quite painful watching Blood Diamond last night on the 360) . If I'm going to upgrade It would have to be for something like HDMI 1.3 and the upconversion. Then buy the Onkyo 605 shortly after. Of course nobody knows if it will be in the A-3 but what I was wondering is adding the 1.3 port that much more expensive or would that feature be omitted so that the XA-3 would bolster more sales. Anybody have some insight into this?

you get 1.3 currently on the XA2.....FWIW.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:

I realize that but the few problems reported about XA2 as far as overheating and the price is why I am asking my question.

I think you said it there:"few problems". I've had no such problems. And I believe June 9-16 any HD DVD player purchased will be $100 off in-store.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:

I realize that but the few problems reported about XA2 as far as overheating and the price is why I am asking my question.

who do you think would have the answer here about upcoming Toshiba products? it would all be specualtion, and therefore of no use. I have had zero problems with the XA2. Why are you holding out for 1.3? What is it going to be capable of that 1.1 is not?

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:

No matter what HD DVD player you purchase, the audio from the disc will be encoded in the player and sent out by PCM to a receiver. The Onkyo 605, for example, would not be doing any decoding other than the DD/DTS tracks from SD DVDs.

There are a bunch of threads around here about this issue. Since HD DVDs have "advanced authoring" the player needs to decode the film's audio track in order to overlay menu sounds and/or secondary audio tracks like commentaries.

HDMI 1.3 players and equipment will offer no improvement over previous gen hardware. I have an A1 hooked up to a Denon 3806 and TrueHD sounds spectacular.

The days of a player sending a bitstream to a receiver is over. Everything now and in the future will be done through the player and sent out as PCM. I personally would buy the XA2 and look for any receiver that properly handles PCM (10db boost and PLIIx processing on the surround channels).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yup I have to agree that for the current generation of HD players HDMI 1.3 is nothing more than marketing hype to get you to spend the money on new equipment. I have the A1 and I can get all the high resoultion sound I need out of the ancient analog ports

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
This Only applies DD DD+ DTS 1.5 and TrueHD. In theory you would need HDMI 1.3 to send DTS Lossless to a receiver capable of decoding it. But the receiver need to be able to decode DTS lossless. You would also need a Disc that used it, but in theory a play that could send the encode and a receiver that could decode it would prevent you from not getting Lossless if someone where to release a movie using it. Weinstein and Studio Canal are the probable culprits as Universal Warner and Paramount seem to be quite friendly and happy using DD products.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel /forum/post/0

This Only applies DD DD+ DTS 1.5 and TrueHD. In theory you would need HDMI 1.3 to send DTS Lossless to a receiver capable of decoding it. But the receiver need to be able to decode DTS lossless. You would also need a Disc that used it, but in theory a play that could send the encode and a receiver that could decode it would prevent you from not getting Lossless if someone where to release a movie using it. Weinstein and Studio Canal are the probable culprits as Universal Warner and Paramount seem to be quite friendly and happy using DD products.

True...but if those discs are advanced authored then we would need a player with DTS HD-MA decoding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.