AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any news or any announcements from anyone other than Pioneer and Onkyo regarding HDMI 1.3 capable receivers? I currently have an Onkyo 603x and would like to upgrade to something with HDMI capability as well as Dolby True HD and DTS Masted HD decoding and the ability to work with my PS3. Does anyone know when Yamaha, Denon, Marantz or any other manufacturer will have models out in the $500-$1000 MSRP range with these features?

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgvinter /forum/post/0

Has there been any news or any announcements from anyone other than Pioneer and Onkyo regarding HDMI 1.3 capable receivers? I currently have an Onkyo 603x and would like to upgrade to something with HDMI capability as well as Dolby True HD and DTS Masted HD decoding and the ability to work with my PS3. Does anyone know when Yamaha, Denon, Marantz or any other manufacturer will have models out in the $500-$1000 MSRP range with these features?

Just so you know the current receivers out there that can do PCM will do just fine for both DTS-HD and DTS-MA "once players support it." Theres no reason to jump into HDMI 1.3 unless you just generally want to. For instance I just bought a pioneer elite 82 and it will be just fine for DTS-HD and DTS-MA long as the player decodes it "which they will." Im plenty happy to save around 500 bucks and be ready for the future.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason that I would like to get the HDMI 1.3 receiver is that I am using a PS3 as my Blu-ray player and at this point it is cheaper to get the HDMI 1.3 receiver rather than buying a blu-ray or HDDVD player with internal decoder. Also don't you eliminate signal interference/noise by keeping the signal digital until it reaches the receiver rather than running analog cables to the receiver or does this not make any difference in sound quality?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

Quote:
Also don't you eliminate signal interference/noise by keeping the signal digital until it reaches the receiver rather than running analog cables to the receiver or does this not make any difference in sound quality?

Decoding in the player has nothing to do with analog cables. Players decode to PCM (which is all TrueHD/DTS HD are) and send that digital signal to the HDMI receiver

See the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what do you think will be cheaper, buying an HDMI 1.3 receiver or buying a similar receiver from one or two model years back and getting a seperate blu-ray player when those come down in price? It seems to me that the difference in price between this year's and last year's model line tends to be about $100-$200 at the time of release on a unit with an MSRP of $600-$1000 in which case it would be a bit cheaper to get the receiver and use the PS3. Also how would you compare the midrange receivers from Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha. I have Mirage OM9 fronts, OMC3 center, Infinity RS2000.4 surrounds and Mirage AVS 200 rear surrounds in a 20x14x9 room.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgvinter /forum/post/0

So what do you think will be cheaper, buying an HDMI 1.3 receiver or buying a similar receiver from one or two model years back and getting a seperate blu-ray player when those come down in price? It seems to me that the difference in price between this year's and last year's model line tends to be about $100-$200 at the time of release on a unit with an MSRP of $600-$1000 in which case it would be a bit cheaper to get the receiver and use the PS3. Also how would you compare the midrange receivers from Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha. I have Mirage OM9 fronts, OMC3 center, Infinity RS2000.4 surrounds and Mirage AVS 200 rear surrounds in a 20x14x9 room.

Why not keep the ps3 as it is and see if it will get the update for DTS-MA as no player can do DTS-MA right now.

PS: You cant mention price but i saved over $300-400 on my elite 82 and I just bought it. I have it hooked to my ps3 and it rocks.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi /forum/post/0

Just so you know the current receivers out there that can do PCM will do just fine for both DTS-HD and DTS-MA "once players support it." Theres no reason to jump into HDMI 1.3 unless you just generally want to. For instance I just bought a pioneer elite 82 and it will be just fine for DTS-HD and DTS-MA long as the player decodes it "which they will." Im plenty happy to save around 500 bucks and be ready for the future.

Just something to think about.

Primary benefit of HDMI 1.3 is its video bandwidth capability not audio..

HDMI 1.3 compliance means that it can handle the 1080p and future deep color 1080p sources..

Yes.. Yes..

It can do on-board native HD audio decoding but still we need more sources and properly mastered content to address this..

If all one cares about is the multi-channel LPCM audio available by HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 AVRs..

Then save the money and buy one of those AVRs..

Just my $.02 worth..

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete /forum/post/0

Denon's entire line will have 1.3, but the soonest you'll see a model in your stated price range will be August (AVR-2308CI).

I just talked to a Denon rep today, and he also confirmed the August arrival of HDMI 1.3 on the new 2008 line. He also hinted at a Blu-Ray player but would not confirm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.