AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying the LG BD590 and the Onkyo TX-SR 308. The BD590 is HDMI 1.3 and the 308 is HDMI 1.4. I realize I will not have 3-D but is there any compatibility issues going from the 590 1.3 to the 308 1.4?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
no, there should not be... hdmi is backwards compatible...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/19542611

A little off-topic, but I'd avoid the 308 if you have a choice. It's short on inputs, spring-clip speaker terminals, and no analog video - HDMI upconversion.

Well, it is an entry level receiver so you don't get everything.

It has 3 HDMI inputs, which isn't bad. Component or composite is not much used anymore, so you don't need a lot of those inputs.

Spring-clip terminals are not a desirable as binding posts, but they do work OK. And the 308 does have posts for the front surround speakers, which usually have the highest signal.

Unless you have composite/component sources you don't need analog video to HDMI up-conversion.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That is my point exactly. 1080i vs 1080p. Depending on how good your display is at converting from i to p it is better to send the signal via i and let the display convert. I have a vidikron 75 and the built in scaler is much better than most BD and DVD players. going from a cheap BD player to the Oppo 93 and doing a pretty good indepth compare resulted in me still feeding the pj with a 1080i signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts