AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okee. I recently bought the Sony NX810 55" 3D TV package from BB. I listened to the BB guy tell me I needed the new 1.4 cables to watch 3D though my PS3 on my tv. And how you can really tell the difference on an expensive cable. Since I had been reading my AVS for years I thought he was completely wrong. So I didn't buy any cables.

What is the "latest" info on hdmi 1.4? Do we need it? Does it make a difference? The only articles I can find or 6 months old or older.

I noticed when looking at monoprice or bluejeans that I saw not mention of hdmi 1.4. Why is this?

This article makes it looks like 1.4 is a good idea and needed.
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...to-know-626951

Thanks

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
HDMI.org has prohibited the use of HDMI version numbers for cable because of consumer confusion and the manufacturers and retailers that take advantage of it. There are only four kinds of cable, standard and high speed, with or without ethernet. If the cable has sufficient bandwidth for what you are trying to jam down it, it will support all HDMI cables. FWIW there have only been two significant changes in HDMI cables since the beginning, high speed cables, and ethernet support.

People who are going to watch 3D will want a high-speed cable because of the increased bit rate. You only need ethernet if both the receiver and the display support ethernet or HDMI and you want to use the capability. Just go with a certified high speed cable and you should be good to go. Doesn't have to cost much. Check out monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable prices. The BJC Series 1 is arguably the best HDMI cable going. No need ever to pay more.

FWIW for a short run, you might even do fine with a standard HDMI cable. If you already have a cable, try it and see. If you don't get sparkles or worse, it is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Geekgirrl, I had the same experience with another big box store when I bought my Samsung 3d system. I believe their 10 foot high speed cable was around $80, and I had a great time listening to the salesman's pitch on why I needed their particular cable. Colm is accurate in all his advice and there are many fine high speed hdmi cables out there for much less money. I ended up building my own hdmi cables, and they work perfectly with blu-ray 3d.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

My concern is that I would like the High Speed hdmi with ethernet.

I dont see them at bluejeans only at monoprice.

I'm hooking my PS3 to be used as a 3D bluray player directly to the tv and my HD DirecTV directly to the tv. DirecTV is hooked to ethernet and so will my PS3 so even it any system cant use the ethernet I would like it to be there so I dont have to buy cables again soon.

The guy at bb swears he can see a difference. I may make him prove it even though I will by my cables through one of the above two companies like I always do.

BB says they have newer brand cables and dont talk monster cables much anymore.

Where are the links to the clinical studies for the comparisons for all the cables? I found them here a long time ago and even took it in to BB. I want to that again

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirrl /forum/post/19602688

I'm hooking my PS3 to be used as a 3D bluray player directly to the tv and my HD DirecTV directly to the tv. DirecTV is hooked to ethernet and so will my PS3 so even it any system cant use the ethernet I would like it to be there so I dont have to buy cables again soon.

The guy at bb swears he can see a difference. I may make him prove it even though I will by my cables through one of the above two companies like I always do.

Where are the links to the clinical studies for the comparisons for all the cables? I found them here a long time ago and even took it in to BB. I want to that again

Thanks.

I would love to see the links also if anyone has them. I think what you would run into are companies in the states that import from many chinese manufacturers but even those manufacturers might not build the cable themselves. I have had experience with many of them as well as Belden, Commscope (now owned by Carlyle), West Penn, Alpha etc. Many Chinese companies make cable but many buy said cable and then assemble it with connectors made by other companies. It also works in reverse, some companies make the cable and then authorize assembly companies. You can have problems with either in my experience. I imagine Kurt at BJC has toured Belden as I have and has also seen 12 people in a small building in China building HDMI cables from start to finish. If someone walks in and wants a wire gauge they do not make, they run out and buy it as well as connectors. It is a little tricky to always know what you are consistently getting.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirrl /forum/post/19602688

Thanks.

Author deleted answer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grrrrrrrr, BB is making me mad! They just confuse the issue with the "ethernet ready" stuff. I went and bought a 1 meter Cinnamon high speed ethernet ready cable by audioquest until my cables from mononprice get here. And it was 70 clams! I cant wait till my cables get here and I can compare them and take this cable back to bb when there is no visible difference.

But boy this cable comes in such a pretty box with nice graphics. I guess that's what I'm paying for. They also talked to me about the 10,000 dollar cables. lol

My Sony KDL55NX810 is ethernet ready and so is the PS3. The PS3 also has built in wifi. So I'm planning on getting the PS3 on wifi and with the ethernet hdmi cable the TV will use the PS3's wifi connection. Will this work? And will the same thing work without the ethernet ready hdmi?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

the ps3 is not capable of ethernet over hdmi...

it will not work...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.