AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV has HDMI 1.3 and just bought a new Samsung C6500 Blue Ray player whch i figured would need HDMI cables and none would come with the player. I bought HDMI 1.4 cables from Monoprice since they handle 3D, eathernet and new 4 color tech by sharp. It said these will work with all HDIM standards so are these cables any better than 1.3

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 /forum/post/19576696

My TV has HDMI 1.3 and just bought a new Samsung C6500 Blue Ray player whch i figured would need HDMI cables and none would come with the player. I bought HDMI 1.4 cables from Monoprice since they handle 3D, eathernet and new 4 color tech by sharp. It said these will work with all HDIM standards so are these cables any better than 1.3

better? only in the fact that it can display 3D and the other things you pointed out. Picture wise no difference.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
isn't HDMI also supposed to handle audio channels? I bought a 10 feet HDMI 1.4 cable to hook my laptop to my HDTV so i could watch the Hockey games but i'm not getting audio it's coming from the laptop USB speakers. My laptop is a HP DV7 series and HDTV is Hitachi with 4 HDMI hookups and a RGB & audio hookup for computer but my latop doesn't have audio out.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It is no longer legal to manufacture cables labeled as 1.3 or 1.4 cables. For 3D HDMI High Speed cables are reccomended for longer distances. You do not need high speed with ethernet cables since you are not passing any content over ethernet between your player and your TV over the ethernet connections in the cable. see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx

Check and sound/speakers options on your latptop since it is very possible that you do not have sound over HDMI enanbled.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 /forum/post/19596683

isn't HDMI also supposed to handle audio channels? I bought a 10 feet HDMI 1.4 cable to hook my laptop to my HDTV so i could watch the Hockey games but i'm not getting audio it's coming from the laptop USB speakers. My laptop is a HP DV7 series and HDTV is Hitachi with 4 HDMI hookups and a RGB & audio hookup for computer but my latop doesn't have audio out.

You probably need to go into your sound card/ video card and make some adjustments in order to send sound through your hdmi output on your computer. There possibly could be a box where you check send sound via HDMI that needs to be checked.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19596931

It is no longer legal to manufacture cables labeled as 1.3 or 1.4 cables. For 3D HDMI High Speed cables are reccomended for longer distances. You do not need high speed with ethernet cables since you are not passing any content over ethernet between your player and your TV over the ethernet connections in the cable. see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx

Check and sound/speakers options on your latptop since it is very possible that you do not have sound over HDMI enanbled.

That's interesting. I wonder why they changed it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
They changed it because of consumer confusion and the manufacturers and retailers that were taking advantage of the confusion. There have only been two significant changes in HDMI cables since the first ones, high speed cables, and cables with ethernet.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
It was hard to find out what version my HDMI cable was,even couldn't find it on the homepage,it turned out to be 1.3a.

In the stores there where the old and the new/the cheap and the expensive HDMI cables,nobody took the version aspect of it serious.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666
...might as well buy the best
What you bought is not the best. But at those distances it should handle anything you throw at it. FWIW ethernet is only useful if the devices the cable connects both support ethernet over HDMI. But it doesn't hurt to future proof. Ferrites are just marketing hype unless perhaps you are having problems with your HDMI acting as an antenna transmitting noise from one of your devices.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Alot of the time these cables are no different. 1.3, 1.4 etc. They simply have to pass the test. Your 1.4 labeled hdmi cables, labeled on the jacket of the wire (the monoprice ones) are probablly exactly the same as the old cables. The only difference is the cables are now tested for the 1.4 standard, and since there quality is good, they pass.

In most cases, the cables labeled 1.3 can do everything the ones labeled 1.4 can, because they are the exact same cable, re-badged.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts