AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The board of the HDMI Forum has announced HDMI 2.0, which is expected to come out in the first half of 2013, with double the existing bandwidth -- enough for 4K at 60hz -- and support for the 21x9 aspect ratio, for example."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064455/

I just did the update on my 2 Denons and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if they came out with a 2.0 upgrade board. I don't really need any more audio channels but I do want better support for 4K TVs as I'll be ready to get one next year if they make one big enough at a price I can justify.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic, but I can't see a big 4k TV reasonably priced anywhere in the next 3 years.

Not to mention no 4K content.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4k Blurays are coming out soon

and my bet is digital media providers like Netflix and amazon will follow but to bad our Cable companies are still in the stoneage and prefer to nickle and dime is forever.

15-30 mb internet speeds and 1080i sources for our Cable TV and not true 1080P.

Give us high fiber optics already better yet. Get the 2gb versions from Japan

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I am hoping H.265 takes off pretty quickly (just like how H.264 did a few years ago). It is supposed to do better quality video for half the bandwidth or something like that. But, it is going to require more expensive and high power hardware at least in the beginning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge  /t/1455231/hdmi-2-0#post_23297284

The HDMI 2.0 specification isn't out yet, so it would be a bit premature to see any devices implementing already.
Ok, I thoght the spec was what they released in Januari...

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi  /t/1455231/hdmi-2-0#post_23299049

Code:
Ok, I thoght the spec was what they released in Januari...

The spec is still under wraps and they are working on it. It won't be until the end of the year or CES 2014 before we see the spec and then it won't be until 2015 or so that products with HDMI 2.0 show up as it takes at least one year before hardware can be finalized and bugs worked out.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
And by then the video industry will have come out with a new, fantastic, video format or encoding and a new HDMI spec will be needed (which still will not be able to do what Display Port currently does)...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I plan on updating my AVR and TV (new TV won't be 4K) this year. To give some perspective, my current equipment doesn't have HDMI at all. From the above discussion, I take it that awaiting an AVR with HDMI 2.0 would likely be years, not months? I don't want to buy a soon to be "obsolete" or at least old technology if it means holding off for a reasonable period of time. Not more than about six months though. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Look how long it took USB 3.0 to finally make its appearance somewhat widespread.

Thuderport would have been nice if the industry would have adopted it since it has plenty of bandwidth and can be daisy chained.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
HDMI 2.0 was to be released in the second half of 2012. They then pushed it off to the first half of 2013. I suspect the official specs will finally be approved at the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2013, but that no consumer level AVRs will be available until the first half of 2014. If you do not have HDMI yet, waiting another year will not change your life any. At which point you will have an AVR that lasts you a long time.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage  /t/1455231/hdmi-2-0#post_23561723

HDMI 2.0 was to be released in the second half of 2012. They then pushed it off to the first half of 2013. I suspect the official specs will finally be approved at the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2013, but that no consumer level AVRs will be available until the first half of 2014. If you do not have HDMI yet, waiting another year will not change your life any. At which point you will have an AVR that lasts you a long time.

Makes sense, I'll wait. Of course now I've worked myself into a frenzy obsessing about a new receiver. But as Spock said "it's the wanting, not the having". Sorry for the geeky, treckie moment.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken vindaloo  /t/1455231/hdmi-2-0#post_23565939

Makes sense, I'll wait. Of course now I've worked myself into a frenzy obsessing about a new receiver. But as Spock said "it's the wanting, not the having". Sorry for the geeky, treckie moment.
Then the want really increases when the next model lineup does not include 2.0 then you realize you missed out on the features you wanted besides 2.0 for two model years.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
The next models come out in April, right? Hopefully HDMI 2.0 will be complete this year so the AVRs can be manufactured in time for the normal release cycle.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,646 Posts
Word has it that its been completed

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
My assumption has been consumer electronics manufacturers want to announce the availability of HDMI 2.0 products as soon as possible after public release of the spec. They may figure that, if HDMI 2.0 is announced, but products won't be available for another year, enthusiasts would hold off on purchases. (I realize that most people don't even know what HDMI is, let alone that there are different versions.) So, I'm guessing that by CES in January 2014, new products with HDMI 2.0 will be announced.

But, I'm just guessing here. No insider knowledge at all.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts