1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press release:

HDMI FORUM, INC. RELEASES 2.0a SPECIFICATION
Enables Transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) Formats

SUNNYVALE, Calif., - April 8, 2015 – HDMI Forum, Inc., a non-profit, mutual benefit corporation, today announced the completion and release of Version 2.0a of the HDMI® Specification. It is available to current HDMI 2.0 Adopters via the HDMI Adopter Extranet.

The specification has been updated to enable transmission of HDR formats, which provide enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. The HDR-related updates include references to CEA-861.3, CEA’s recently published update of HDR Static Metadata Extensions.

“We recognized that HDR would be a critical feature as the industry evolves. Our support for HDR enables our 800+ HDMI 2.0 Adopters to develop market-leading products that include HDR and will maintain interoperability across the entire HDMI ecosystem,” said Robert Blanchard, President of the HDMI Forum, Inc. “Along with the publication of the CEA extensions, the HDMI Forum continues to update the HDMI Specification and remain closely aligned with leading CE standards organizations.”

“By adding HDR, the HDMI Specification continues its history of supporting the latest formats and technologies planned for Hollywood content,” said Arnold Brown, Chairman of the HDMI Forum, Inc. Board of Directors.

For more information about HDMI technology, please visit http://www.hdmi.org.

HDMI Licensing, LLC will be attending NAB in Las Vegas on April 13-16, 2015 in the North Hall, Booth #N3716.

About the HDMI Forum, Inc.
HDMI Forum, Inc. is comprised of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components. An open trade association, The HDMI Forum’s mission is to foster broader industry participation in the development of future versions of the HDMI Specification and to further expand the ecosystem of interoperable, HDMI-enabled products. For more information, please visit www.hdmiforum.org.

About HDMI Licensing, LLC
HDMI Licensing, LLC is the agent appointed by the HDMI Forum to license Version 2.x of the HDMI Specification and is the agent appointed by the HDMI Founders to license all earlier HDMI Specifications. The HDMI Specification combines uncompressed high-definition video, multi-channel audio, and data in a single digital interface to provide crystal-clear digital quality over a single cable. HDMI Licensing, LLC provides marketing, promotional, licensing and administrative services, as well as education on the benefits of the HDMI Specification to adopters, retailers, and consumers. The HDMI Consortium was founded by Hitachi Maxell, Ltd; Panasonic Corporation; Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.; Silicon Image, a Lattice Semiconductor company; Sony Corporation; Technicolor S.A. and Toshiba Corporation. HDMI Licensing, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Silicon Image a Lattice Semiconductor company. For more information about the HDMI Specification, please visit www.hdmi.org.

HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners in the United States and/or other countries.
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=138

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
And when you wait for your HDMI 2.0a display to materialize, have it in your home and are enjoying it, guess what, HDMI 2.0b will arrive.

It never ends. You gotta bite the bullet and some point.
I think the key point from this announcement is that HDR capability (flags for metadata) will only be supported on the full 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chips. So any of those earlier attempts to jam UHD capability into chips that could not support a true 18Gbps of bandwidth will be 4K capable (in whatever format they have fudgified ;)) but will not be HDR capable.

There will eventually be some future standard requiring more than 18 Gbps that emerges (8K?), but 18GBps is sufficient for HDR and so the painful HDMI hardware transition of the last couple of years should finally be drawing to a close...

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
^ For me, a batcave dweller, the entire HDR thing leaves me non-plussed. Seeing the demos at CES and more recently at BB, does nothing to change this lack of enthusiasm.

I know many others feel differently and I understand that.

Beyond that, you know there will be some other enhancement that will not be compatible with HDMI 2.0a. Bank on it. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
And when you wait for your HDMI 2.0a display to materialize, have it in your home and are enjoying it, guess what, HDMI 2.0b will arrive.

Then come to the dark side...we have DisplayPort.;)

Really though, it's largely an HDMI design issue since the likes of DisplayPort already supports external metadata due to its packet-based design.

And then there's even DisplayPort over USB Type-C...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

December 9, 2002
May 20, 2004
August 8, 2005
June 22, 2006
May 28, 2009
September 4, 2013
April 8th 2015

2006 -> 2009, 2009 -> 2013 is a nice "time to buy lull". 1 yr lulls are not.

Hell, if 2.0a is a hardware upgrade, that's a 0 yr lull. 2.0 18Gbps isn't even out yet across the board LOL. *Hopefully*, its just formalizing the HDR meta-data, but you can still send it across 2.0.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
^ For me, a batcave dweller, the entire HDR thing leaves me non-plussed. Seeing the demos at CES and more recently at BB, does nothing to change this lack of enthusiasm.

I know many others feel differently and I understand that.

Beyond that, you know there will be some other enhancement that will not be compatible with HDMI 2.0a. Bank on it. :)
Hard to say. You've only seen it on LCDs. Yeah, OLEDs are pretty kick ass already, but nobody really knows what a HDR OLED can do.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Then come to the dark side...we have DisplayPort.;)

Really though, it's largely an HDMI design issue since the likes of DisplayPort already supports external metadata due to its packet-based design.

And then there's even DisplayPort over USB Type-C...
Yeah, DisplayPort just says here's a place where you can jam whatever you want. That's what they're doing with CEC.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hard to say. You've only seen it on LCDs. Yeah, OLEDs are pretty kick ass already, but nobody really knows what a HDR OLED can do.
Actually, we kinda do...

While HDR isn't something I'm particularly interested in myself, here's what FlatPanelsHD had to say after getting a chance to see LG's HDR OLEDs being put through their paces...

What LG wanted to demonstrate in particular was how good a 4K HDR picture can look on an OLED TV, stating that “OLED is ideal for HDR”. We were not allowed to take photos during the tech room session, so what you see here are photos from the booth area. However, we can say that we were pretty blown away by the HDR demonstrations on LG’s OLED TVs. HDR takes the amazing picture quality of an OLED TV to the next level.
And...

We not only noticed this during LG’s tech room session, but also during Samsung’s S’UHD tech room demo, where Samsung was comparing “a Full HD OLED TV from a competitor” (take a wild guess) to the new JS9500 TV. Even though it was Samsung’s own demo, the difference was dramatic. The OLED simply blew the JS9500 away in some of the darker demo scenes, including a scene with fireworks, a scene in space, and a “night in the city” scene. More on that in a later hands-on article.
Plus...

After seeing a lot of HDR demos at CES 2015, including some of the very impressive Dolby Vision demos, we still have to say that LG’s was the most impressive. All because of OLED technology, which feels like it was made for HDR with its perfect blacks and beautiful colors. We will of course be reviewing lots of 2015 TVs soon, so the final verdict is still pending, but OLED continues to impress us.
All available here, plus details on what aspects of HDR LG's OLEDs are and aren't capable..

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1421919922

Desk

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
If its something that doesn't require new hardware, then that's OK, but its unclear right now.
It is pretty clearly a SW/FW upgrade for Full HDMI 2.0 chips supporting 18Gbps bandwidth (HDMI 2.0 level A, according to HDTVTEST).

What is not clear is whether the same upgrade path is available to the 'HDMI 2.0 Level B' chips supporting lower maximum bandwidth.

So HDMI 2.0 Level A SW/FW upgrades to HDMI 2.0a seem likely, while HDMI 2.0 Level B upgrades to HDMI 2.0a appear much less certain.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
^^^^ this

I think a lot of people don't understand this. Most of these 2015 TVs are hdmi 2.0 level b this might not ever be able to support real HDR
To be fair, 2015 really is the first year for HDR, so it's the new HDR TVs emerging this year that should be the greatest cause for concern.

It sounds like thevSamsung JS9500 is HDMI 2.0 a Level A, right?

Will the Vizio R be as well?

Any others?

The Sony X950 be clearly is HDMI 2.0 Level B and it is not yet clear what the X940C will be...

·
Registered
187 Posts
HDMI 2.0a requires a very simple update to allow a HDR metadata flag so shouldn't be difficult.
HDR requires more than 8 bits so I guess the 320MHz chips won't do it (Am I right to assume they were max 8 bit 4:2:0 on 4k?).

Support for p120 is next, was rumoured to be out in September as V2.1

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It is pretty clearly a SW/FW upgrade for Full HDMI 2.0 chips supporting 18Gbps bandwidth (HDMI 2.0 level A, according to HDTVTEST).

What is not clear is whether the same upgrade path is available to the 'HDMI 2.0 Level B' chips supporting lower maximum bandwidth.

So HDMI 2.0 Level A SW/FW upgrades to HDMI 2.0a seem likely, while HDMI 2.0 Level B upgrades to HDMI 2.0a appear much less certain.
So you are taking the word of a "random" article published on 3/18 by a "random" guy on the internet who referred to his crystal ball about a standard that wasn't released until 4/8? :confused:

BTW, HDMI chips are not reprogrammable chips last I checked :), so this would need to be something done in the TVs firmware. If it requires something that cannot be shoe horned onto the existing 2.0 platform, its not going to be a firmware update. According to that article, it is something that can be shoe horned onto the existing 2.0 platform assuming you have a HDR capable TV and we don't know that these OLEDs are.

You're also assuming this article is correct about the shoe horning :).

1 - 20 of 101 Posts