AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I see no one has made a list of all currently released/announced TV/displays with HDMI 2.1 support.

Only a few models have been announced with full support, and the one's that do only do so on a few ports, with most so far having limited support. To help those who want to know which models have full HDMI 2.1 support but don't want to look themselves, or don't have the time to sift through every single TV spec list to find out, I've compiled a basic list they can look at here:

LG 2019 and 2020 models, including OLED TV's: Full support (All ports?)
Sony 2020 models: 900H/Z8H (Only Two Ports?)
Samsung 2020 models: Q70t/Q80t/Q90T (One Port)
Vizio 2020 models: (All Ports)
TCL 2020 models: micro led and mini LED successor?

If there are any older models that have support, or upcoming models announced with support that I missed you can leave a comment and I'll add to the list of supported models.

Registered
LGs 2019 TVs every port supports 48 GBit/s.
With their new 2020 lineup this has changed.
Only their "big" models with alpha 9 gen 3 have support
for HDMI 2.1 on every port. TVs with the slower alpha 7 Gen 3 (LG BX etc.) only
have two 48 GBit/s HDMI 2.1 ports while the other ports are HDMI 2.0b.

Registered
Has anyone found a source that outputs at 48 GBit/s and used it to verify the marketing of the sets being full 2.1?

Registered
Has anyone found a source that outputs at 48 GBit/s and used it to verify the marketing of the sets being full 2.1?

I believe a device similar to the Murideo 7 Generator or the Teledyne 980 48G, would be necessary to verify 48Gbps and other video characteristics of HDMI 2.1, but there is nothing available for the consumer to use yet, to verify marketing claims, unless you want to purchase a Murideo (about $6,000) or Teledyne and learn how to use them.

If the device mfrs follow the HDMI.org marketing and product description requirements, they should be listing which HDMI 2.1 option sets are currently available on shipping devices so you'll just have to trust the mfrs until source material is available that can take advantage of the bandwidth, which won't be for quite some time yet. My guess is that 48Gbps source material will come to the gaming market first.

Registered
I see no one has made a list of all currently released/announced TV/displays with HDMI 2.1 support.

Only a few models have been announced with full support, and the one's that do only do so on a few ports, with most so far having limited support. To help those who want to know which models have full HDMI 2.1 support but don't want to look themselves, or don't have the time to sift through every single TV spec list to find out, I've compiled a basic list they can look at here:

Sony 2020 models: 900H/Z8H (Only Two Ports?)
Samsung 2020 models: Q70t/Q80t/Q90T (One Port)
Vizio 2020 models: (All Ports)
TCL 2020 models: micro led and mini LED successor?

If there are any older models that have support, or upcoming models announced with support that I missed you can leave a comment and I'll add to the list of supported models.
HDMI 2.1 was made for 8k tvs so they can do 8k at 60fps when the tech becomes available. On a 4k tv its pretty much a gimmick, the only person who can make use of it on a 4k tv is a gamer with a powerful pc that can do 4k @120fps who for whatever reason would prefer his tv over a widescreen monitor. The only new tech that you need on a 4k tv is earc for better audio to your soundbar or home theater but you don't really need a HDMI 2.1 port for that.

Premium Member
On a 4k tv its pretty much a gimmick, the only person who can make use of it on a 4k tv is a gamer with a powerful pc that can do 4k @120fps who for whatever reason would prefer his tv over a widescreen monitor. The only new tech that you need on a 4k tv is earc for better audio to your soundbar or home theater but you don't really need a HDMI 2.1 port for that.
Gimmick? I'm making use of HDMI 2.1 ALLM and VRR right now with my Xbox One X. When I get an Xbox Series X and the PS5 I'll be making use of 4K120 as well with 4:4:4 chroma.

And you don't really need eARC. Pretty much all streaming services use DD+ and DD+ Atmos. The people would really make use of eARC are, you guessed it, gamers.

And those with the powerful PCs? Many prefer an C9/CX OLED TV to a gaming monitor. Especially the 48" CX when it comes out.

Registered
HDMI 2.1 was made for 8k tvs so they can do 8k at 60fps when the tech becomes available. On a 4k tv its pretty much a gimmick, the only person who can make use of it on a 4k tv is a gamer with a powerful pc that can do 4k @120fps who for whatever reason would prefer his tv over a widescreen monitor. The only new tech that you need on a 4k tv is earc for better audio to your soundbar or home theater but you don't really need a HDMI 2.1 port for that.
You made a compelling argument, and made me think I really want HDMI 2.1 because of ATSC 3.0 tuners can do [email protected] over the air and will revolutionize sports.
Also HDMI 2.1 has QFT, and Fast Input switching no more black screen for 2 seconds when switching Sources, or no black screen for half a second when changing channels.

Premium Member
Also HDMI 2.1 has QFT, and Fast Input switching no more black screen for 2 seconds when switching Sources, or no black screen for half a second when changing channels.
No. QFT reduces lag and is only really useful for games. There is no fast input switching. There's QMS (Quick Media Switching) which despite it's name only lets you change the frame rate to something else. Changing resolution, bit depth, chroma or to a different source will cause a resync ("bonk"). The black screen when changing channels is not caused by HDMI as most cable boxes output the same resolution all the time.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/QuickFrameTransport

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/QuickMediaSwitching

1 - 9 of 9 Posts