AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x2-hdmi-m...ith-audio.html

Just wanted to post up my impressions of this matrix switch, as I wasn't able to find any feedback (positive or negative) regarding this switch. I took a gamble on it, and figured it was worth $300 to give me hdmi matrix capability, including audio. Because of the audio out, I didn't have to upgrade my old Onkyo 898 (no HDMI). At worst, I'd send it back if it performed poorly or didn't work as advertised.

This was my first experience with HDMI. Previous to this, every device (2 DirecTV boxes, XBox360, and a PS3) I have was connected via component and either digital coax/toslink for audio through a 4 port Audio Authority 1154 AV switch.

I have both HDMI outputs from the switch going directly to a Panasonic AX100U (approximately 80" screen) and AX200U (approximately 140" screen) projector. The audio out for each output goes to digital in's on my Onkyo 898 receiver. Both displays are in the same room, and we typically don't listen to the sound on the smaller display.

I'm very happy with the performance of the switch. The 360 and Blu-Ray movies on the PS3 look fantastic. The HD content on the DirecTV boxes for the most part look very nice. Some channels look a bit grainy/pixely, which I believe is due to too much compression on specific channels. And when I say grainy, I feel like some content doesn't look as sharp as it did when using component. So I can't say for sure if this is due to higher quality HDMI making the content look worse, or if it's something within the switch. My guess is the former, as my 360 and PS3 look better than they did via component, and it's something specific to the broadcast material, and it just looking worse via HDMI. Keep in mind, my projectors aren't 1080p, so I don't know if there's any degradation from this switch when outputting to a true 1080p display device.

I've had only one issue with handshaking, and that occurred just a few days ago. I was able to easily fix it by powering down devices and reconnecting cables. The symptom was flashing a screen with snow for a few seconds, and showing the source material for a second.

Other than that, I've had no issues, and would recommend it to anyone needing a relatively affordable matrix switch. Now that I've had this matrix capability for a couple months, I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having it =]

I also had no problems with the company HDTV Supply. This was my first order with them, and the transaction went smoothly.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer the best I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dorky,

Thanks for posting! I was looking to buy one of these but was hesitant because I couldn't find any reviews or posted experience.

My problem is that I currently have a 4x2 HDMI Matrix without audio feeding two HDFury2 Special Editions... one for the Hauppauge 1212 PVR and another for my component-only 50" plasma. The HDFury2s do a great job with the video, but they completely dropped the ball on the audio... 2 channel only!

I plan to replace my 4x2 Matrix with this one so I can route the audio without going through the HDFury2s. That should fix the problem (while leaving me with yet another "spare" component to sell off
)

Since you connected this to two different projectors, it looks like it's handling the HDCP well. You didn't mention anything about sound, so I assume the DTS and DD on the TOSLINKs are working fine as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The audio does work well. No issues with either DTS or DD, but my system is only 5 channel. I don't have a 7 channel setup, so I can't vouch for the quality of HD audio coming from the PS3.

Agreed, regarding your HD Fury issue. That's one of the nice features about this switch. It costs probably double what the other 4x2 Matrix switch on HDTV Supply's website cost, but that was still cheaper than upgrading my non-HDMI receiver. You can simply route the digital audio out's straight from this matrix switch to your end device on the other side of the HD Fury's.

I also neglected to mention the time it takes to switch between inputs, and that's approximately 3 seconds.

Glad the post helped. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.