AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Samsung UE40ES5500 TV. I wanted to send video and audio over HDMI from my devices and get the TV to pass it through optical to my surround sound kit (Sony DAV-DZ260).

I now know that this is not possible, in the TV manual is specifically says that the TV will output 5.1 only from internal signals like freeview or it's smart tv apps, any inputs like HDMI will only passthrough 2.0 sound.

I bought the TV in Currys where I was told by a member of staff that the TV would do 5.1 passthrough, so I went back today and spoke to someone else, I was told that there are no TVs that will do this, they will all do 2.0 passthrough. So, considering what I was told the first time was wrong, is it true that there are no TVs capable of sending a 5.1 signal (DTS/DD) from a HDMI input to optical output?

If no TVs can do it, what are my options? I'm currently using an optical switcher but I really want to send the video and audio through just the one cable, it would be so much more convenient.

I'd appreciate any help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect that the staff at Currys don't know what they are talking about. If anyone has a TV that will passthrough DTS & DD from HDMI to Optical, please let me know the model and then I can quote this to them.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sorbo  /t/1467786/hdmi-5-1-passthrough-to-optical-spdif-toslink#post_23192138

I suspect that the staff at Currys don't know what they are talking about. If anyone has a TV that will passthrough DTS & DD from HDMI to Optical, please let me know the model and then I can quote this to them.
I'd suspect that 99.9% of the staff at any store knows what they are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
There is an existing thread in here somewhere where people have been posting which TVs will pass HDMI audio out to SPDIF. There are a few older TVs like th Sony that will, not sure of any newer ones. SPDIF is not HDCP compliant.

S~

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sorbo  /t/1467786/hdmi-5-1-passthrough-to-optical-spdif-toslink#post_23191021

I recently got a Samsung UE40ES5500 TV. I wanted to send video and audio over HDMI from my devices and get the TV to pass it through optical to my surround sound kit (Sony DAV-DZ260).

I now know that this is not possible, in the TV manual is specifically says that the TV will output 5.1 only from internal signals like freeview or it's smart tv apps, any inputs like HDMI will only passthrough 2.0 sound.

I bought the TV in Currys where I was told by a member of staff that the TV would do 5.1 passthrough, so I went back today and spoke to someone else, I was told that there are no TVs that will do this, they will all do 2.0 passthrough. So, considering what I was told the first time was wrong, is it true that there are no TVs capable of sending a 5.1 signal (DTS/DD) from a HDMI input to optical output?

If no TVs can do it, what are my options? I'm currently using an optical switcher but I really want to send the video and audio through just the one cable, it would be so much more convenient.

I'd appreciate any help

I don't know of any TVs that will pass thru 5.1 audio from a connected device. Your best bet is going to be: Run HDMI for video directly to the TV, and run the Optical cable from the 5.1 sound source directly to your Sony Surround system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeardmore  /t/1467786/hdmi-5-1-passthrough-to-optical-spdif-toslink#post_23192981

I don't know of any TVs that will pass thru 5.1 audio from a connected device. Your best bet is going to be: Run HDMI for video directly to the TV, and run the Optical cable from the 5.1 sound source directly to your Sony Surround system.
Yeah that's what I'm currently doing. But I have 2 computers and an Xbox that I want to hear 5.1 channel audio from. I have a manual optical switch, but I switch devices pretty often and it's very annoying having to get up and switch the optical every time I want to use another device.

After reading a few things, I think my best solution (rather than spending a ton on a new surround sound system with HDMI inputs), is to buy a HDMI switch with Optical out. If the HDMI switch could take the 5.1 audio from my HDMI inputs, then I could plug my 3 HDMIs into it and switch source hopefully with a remote for the switcher.

Unless anyone else knows of a better solution? If not, any recommended HDMI switchers to do the job?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.