AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering and did some research on this and found thay not many sets are able to do this.

Is there a way of knowing wich ones do? I am looking for a bravia bx300 and in the sony site it says "5.1 channel out: yes" but I think this may refer to 5.1 from the antenna but not from the hdmi.

Can u guide on this matter?

thanks!!!

·
Registered
19,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggycl /forum/post/20879019

Hi guys, I was wondering and did some research on this and found thay not many sets are able to do this.

Is there a way of knowing wich ones do? I am looking for a bravia bx300 and in the sony site it says "5.1 channel out: yes" but I think this may refer to 5.1 from the antenna but not from the hdmi.

Can u guide on this matter?

thanks!!!

Yeah, read the manual but the best optical can do is Dolby 5.1. HDMI will pass Dolby 5.1 to the tv and then out thru the optical to, I'm assuming, your AVR. HDMI carries both audio and video so depending on the source and type of HDMI (Standard vs High Speed, etc) you can pass all of the available audio formats to your tv but only 5.1 can be passed thru to the optical. So, in a sense, the tv will downgrade what ever the audio signal is to 5.1 (unless you play your audio thru and AVR that has to formats available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it. It sometimes says yes, but there never is some explicit line saying if it its only the hd antenna content, or all content (hdmi included).

I have a avr 5.1 very simple, one optical input. So I figured a tv that gets the 5'1 comin from the hdmi would save me the pain of changing the optical cable from my ps3 ti my htpc and vice versa. change the cable include moving furniture, going to thw floor, etc wich almost always keeps me from enjoying 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I bought a Sony Bravia 32bx325, wich I think is just a bx300 but with a japanese tdt integrated decoder (I am from chile, and here we got isdb-t high def tv).

I am not sure if the optical out is able to get dolby and/or dts or anything out of the hdmi inputs. In the user manual it says 5.1 audio but I am not sure if that is just from the antenna input.

if anyone can help me with this, I don't wanna buy the audio system without being sure.

I know I can buy hdmi recievers, i know i can buy optical switchs, I just wanna know if its possible this way, if not, then I would have n ochoice but to consider buying something else

thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
here is the steps i took to make 5.1 pass through my tv's hdmi and out of TV's optical to my reciever.

1. connect HDMI from PS3 To Samsung LN52B750 TV

2. connect optical out from Samsung LN52B750 TV to an old Reciever's optical input.

3. On PS3 navigate to Sound Setting and select HDMI output, when it offers to set-up auto or manual, select manual and check off all the supported formats for your reciever, save your setting and Bob is your uncle

I hope this helps someone

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord97 /forum/post/20951452

here is the steps i took to make 5.1 pass through my tv's hdmi and out of TV's optical to my reciever.

1. connect HDMI from PS3 To Samsung LN52B750 TV

2. connect optical out from Samsung LN52B750 TV to an old Reciever's optical input.

3. On PS3 navigate to Sound Setting and select HDMI output, when it offers to set-up auto or manual, select manual and check off all the supported formats for your reciever, save your setting and Bob is your uncle

I hope this helps someone

If I recall correctly, the way that the main boards of that model Samsung (and most for that model) TV processes audio, means that it will NOT output 5.1 through the fiber optic cable.

To the OP: Chances are the 5.1 will not be passed through. There is not any way to really test this unless you have something that can receive a 5.1 signal off a fiber optic connection. To be honest, I'm not actually aware of any sets that do this (many people claim their set does, but this is not so). Keyword here is that I'm not aware of any, I'm sure there's one out there, but most of them just do not process the audio in a way that allows 5.1 passthrough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking that. I am getting a 5.1 set from a friend, and that should be able to show dolby or dts as it enter from the optical in, so then I should be able to test the hdmi out of my tv with my pc and dts/dolby movies.

Anyway, I think no tv is capable of actually doing this. Maybe the only way is an optical switch or buy a nice reciever.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggycl /forum/post/20951951

I am thinking that. I am getting a 5.1 set from a friend, and that should be able to show dolby or dts as it enter from the optical in, so then I should be able to test the hdmi out of my tv with my pc and dts/dolby movies.

Anyway, I think no tv is capable of actually doing this. Maybe the only way is an optical switch or buy a nice reciever.

Well, you can also run HDMI to the TV, but fiber optic/digital coax directly from the device to the receiver (assuming it has enough inputs). Granted this does force you to change inputs on more than one device every time.

Another thing I just thought about was ARC. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedMaster
If I recall correctly, the way that the main boards of that model Samsung (and most for that model) TV processes audio, means that it will NOT output 5.1 through the fiber optic cable.

To the OP: Chances are the 5.1 will not be passed through. There is not any way to really test this unless you have something that can receive a 5.1 signal off a fiber optic connection. To be honest, I'm not actually aware of any sets that do this (many people claim their set does, but this is not so). Keyword here is that I'm not aware of any, I'm sure there's one out there, but most of them just do not process the audio in a way that allows 5.1 passthrough.
I tested mine the dolby digital logo comes on and the sound is 5.1. I think if your player/PS3 send the 5.1 signal the tv will pass it through. I also forgot to mention that i changed the sound setting on the tv menu to external speaker not the tv speakers

·
Registered
19,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord97
I tested mine the dolby digital logo comes on and the sound is 5.1. I think if your player/PS3 send the 5.1 signal the tv will pass it through. I also forgot to mention that i changed the sound setting on the tv menu to external speaker not the tv speakers
Some tv's will allow DD 5.1 to pass thru via HDMI to optical out, but not all. The tv may just downmix it to stereo. So you need to carefully check the specs on the tv or call support if the manual is vague (which it probably is). And yes, definitely turn off the speakers on the tv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.