AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 50-ft run of HDMI to go from my cable box (Time Warner Samsung non-DVR cable box) to a Sony 46EX500.

Currently, I'm using Tin-Plated Copper CL2 rated 22AWG w/gold plated connectors from monoprice (Item # 2804) for ~$46:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

While I've only used it for one day so far, I've noticed that yesterday, during some broadcast of the Winter Olympics, there were some short but significant artifacts on part of the background of the scene (I think it might have been outdoor snow or something like that), where I saw pixelated polygraphic small shapes. Again, it was brief, maybe several seconds or even 3 seconds.

That is clearly a small sampling of something gone awry, but I can't help but recall that there was another 50-ft HDMI (also at monoprice) at roughly twice the price of mine: Silver-Plated Copper CL2 Rated Cable (22AWG) (Gold Plated Connectors) Item # 2678 at $91:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

May I ask if any of the good folks here have experience as to whether the tin-plated copper HDMI at 50-ft run versus the silver-plated copper HDMI also at 50-ft run makes much of a difference?

If there are other options, i.e. using an "equalizer"?
Anyone has ever tried some type of HDMI "equalizer"? I've never seen or heard of anyone using one.

Thx in advance!

N.B.: Please also see:

- Monoprice's Knowledge Base says this:

"Tin and silver plating refer to plating on the copper wire conduits inside the cable. The plating is to control the "skin effect." The skin effect is the tendancy of digital signals to travel along the surface of a wire and be more suceptible to surface disipation. The plating is suppose to lock the signal in the copper core.

Silver is a better conductor of electricity than tin and therefore offers better signal integrity."

Also: "All of our "Certified Cables" will easily pass a 1080p signal. Our extended length cables (40ft and longer) have been able to pass a 1080p signal in our own lab tests. In some situations, an equalizer was needed.

Results will vary depending on the equipment being used. Not all pairs of equipment are capable of passing signals over extended runs."

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The artifacts were probably in the source. It's cable TV.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18166884

I agree, I had that watching the Hockey game last night between Canada and Sweden. It comes and go on cable.

The best way to check the TV I think would be using a blu-ray and checking that way. Cable TV is so unreliable.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18166884

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 /forum/post/18166941

I agree, I had that watching the Hockey game last night between Canada and Sweden. It comes and go on cable.

The best way to check the TV I think would be using a blu-ray and checking that way. Cable TV is so unreliable.

They are correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts