AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forum so im hoping im posting in the right thread. I just bough an avr receiver. An onkyo tx-sv909pro. And i have a question. I have a blue ray and a vizio smart tv. And obviously this receiver is not hdmi. But i wanted to know if i should get those hdmi to s video adapter. Or if i should just run ithe hdmi cable straight from the blu ray to the tv and just run the optical or rca sound out. Or what other options do i have. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I hope you didn't pay too much for that receiver. Honestly, that receiver is so old that I wouldn't consider it worth bothering with.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hi im new to the forum so im hoping im posting in the right thread. I just bough an avr receiver. An onkyo tx-sv909pro. And i have a question. I have a blue ray and a vizio smart tv. And obviously this receiver is not hdmi. But i wanted to know if i should get those hdmi to s video adapter. Or if i should just run ithe hdmi cable straight from the blu ray to the tv and just run the optical or rca sound out. Or what other options do i have. Thanks guys.
You would be much better off running HDMI straight from your blu-Ray player to the TV and optical or coaxial digital audio from your blu-Ray player to the receiver. S-video is an analog video connection and is limited to Standard Definition (DVD-quality) video. The only reason to use it is if your display and/or source device don't work with HDMI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually i only paid $30 for it. And it sounds really good. It also came with the remote so thats a good deal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the only problem is that the receiver doesnt have coaxial in or output. Just the regular rca. And optical.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Forget the adapter and just run a straight feed for the video to the TV and use the optical for audio into the receiver. All my video is fed directly to the TV or Projector, I don't care about switching and would rather have a clean direct feed to the display device.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks guy for the response. I should of done my research first before buying that receiver. But it was a good deal for $30. I guess ill just run it straight from my blu ray to my tv .and just run the audio out of the tv to the receiver..

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Honestly, that receiver is so old that I wouldn't consider it worth bothering with.
Being that it only does Dolby Pro-Logic, and doesn't even support basic Dolby Digital or DTS, I also wouldn't bother using it for home theater unless you had a designated Laser Disc and VHS setup or something. Your new Onkyo could be great for music perhaps, but there just isn't much point in hooking it up to a Blu-Ray player. A quick Craigslist search pulled up multiple receivers for about your price range that DO support DTS/DD.

Not saying that you couldn't have fun with that receiver as it will still blow away just using your TV speakers. Just don't expect much/any support for any of the audio and video formats from the last decade and a half.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Is optical better than regular red and white rca?
Optical has the ability to carry Dolby/DTS encoded surround sound (up to 6.1 discrete channels, lossy compressed) over a single cable and is less susceptible to interference than analog connections for longer runs. However, if you are only listening in stereo and your source device(s) are capable of decoding all of the necessary codecs and outputting the audio as stereo analog then those advantages are irrelevant. If you were planning to use a significant amount of DSP in the receiver then it might still be better to run optical as that would avoid adding an unnecessary A/D and D/A conversion.

Does your new AVR have 5.1 channel analog inputs and does your Blu-Ray player have 5.1 channel analog pre-outs? If the answer to both is yes and you intend to connect a full 5.1 set of speakers (left, right, center, left surround, right surround, and subwoofer) then I would actually suggest connecting those using 6 RCA analog cables. This way, assuming your Blu-Ray player can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and output as multichannel analog, you get the full benefit of lossless surround sound audio, rather than the lossy variety supported by optical/coaxial digital connections.

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
I'm guessing his blu ray player doesn't have any analog outputs.

The newer models from the last few years tend to have HDMI only and maybe optical or coax. But usually no analog anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts