AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to figure out which DVD player I need to buy.

I'm buying one peice at a time, but still have a fairly tight budget.

I saw the new Sony DVD player (the one that's not avail until 10/22) that has HDMI out available, but it also says audio is done via HDMI out.

So, would that imply that the only way for me to get audio in 5.1 is to do HDMI to my receiver, then HDMI out to my TV or am I missing something?

Currently, I don't have an HDMI input on my receiver and I don't even know if the ones I've been looking at have HDMI in/out on them.

So, if I'm going to get a DVD with HDMI out, does that also require me to have an HDMI capable receiver?

...yes, I searched but didn't get an answer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did try to delete it, but was unable to find any way to do so. That's why I changed the title.

Thanks for the info - so to clarify, with an HDMI upconverting DVD player, I can take advantage of the 720p upconversion and still do optical/coax out and get the best of both worlds w/o having a HDMI capable receiver?

If so, perfect. I found my DVD Player. :cool:

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
You can also go analog out to your receiver, which is the only way to get true SACD playback with many players (don't know about the Sony).

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
HDMI - TV to DVD player.

Optical or coax for audio from player to receiver. 6 analog cables for SACD playback from player to receiver also.

Should work out fine.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,287 Posts
HDMI is capable of carrying 2-channel *OR* multi-channel digital audio. The source device usually lets you control which gets sent.

An HDMI compatible TV will handle at least 2-channel digital audio coming in over HDMI -- and thus will feed two speakers. Some such TV's are also able to decode the multi-channel signal and feed surround speakers as well.

--Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
Some such TV's are also able to decode the multi-channel signal and feed surround speakers as well.

--Bob
This would also assume your TV had audio out and your speakers were plugged into your TV, yes?

Not sure what kind of sets do this, but I haven't seen any. Not that there aren't any, but I just haven't seen it. Been primarily looking at D-ILA, Plasma and DLP...so I could be looking at the wrong stuff - not that it's important to me.

I essentially got my q's answered, so thanks to all!

·
Read the FAQ!
37,287 Posts
Chad0429,

Yes. Some folks don't use an AV receiver or other external audio processor, so they connect their source audio to the TV and depend upon the TV to do it for them. Quite a few TVs these days have multiple speaker outputs for surround sound and have digital audio inputs to get such multi-channel sound. They do this because they have internal HDTV tuners and they want to offer multi-channel sound from HDTV since it is part of the incoming HDTV signal. So they might as well process multi-channel sound from external sources as well. The digital audio carried by an HDMI connection is just one such input.

Other folks use "displays" which have no internal tuner and no multi-channel audio processing capability. However, often these displays will still process TWO-CHANNEL digital signals coming in over HDMI to drive any attached speakers.

Whether you have a "display" or a "TV", the fact that audio might be going down the HDMI cable doesn't mean you have to use it. Just turn off the audio on your TV (turn down the volume or select a "no speakers" setting) and make a separate audio connection from your source device to your AV receiver which will, itself drive your surround speakers. If you have an internal tuner in your "TV", it will undoubtedly offer an audio out, and often a digital audio out, that you can connect up to your AV receiver as well -- in which case even the digital audio from the HDTV tuner is being decoded by the AV receiver.

--Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.