Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all,

I purchased the HDD250 and am greatly dissapointed by the fact that you cannot have both HDMI and component outputs.

Does anyone think it would be possible to go in there with a simple fix to be able to get both?

I have 3 TVs hooked up to my samsung and i expected to be able to do the same with this unit. Why would they decide to do this?

How about an external box that will take the HDMI and break it out to give you an HDMI and a component output?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Sorry, not going to happen. Having the HDMI on shuts the rest off. It's been pretty well publicized since it came out. Your option would be to get a fairly complex chain of devices to do it. You would need an HDMI distribution 1x2 amp. Then run one of the outputs into the DVI-VGA converter which strips HDCP, and finally transcode from VGA to Component. All in all, you just spent more than the HDTivo cost.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers
OK all,

I purchased the HDD250 and am greatly dissapointed by the fact that you cannot have both HDMI and component outputs.

Does anyone think it would be possible to go in there with a simple fix to be able to get both?

You can get simultaneous output from HDMI AND Component (and S-video) if you set the HR10-250 to 480i output . You can easily change the output from 480I to 720P or 1080i via a single click on the up button on your cursor keys on the peanut remote (once set up via de menu). Not ideal, but it works fine for my purpose.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Sorry, not going to happen. Having the HDMI on shuts the rest off. It's been pretty well publicized since it came out. Your option would be to get a fairly complex chain of devices to do it. You would need an HDMI distribution 1x2 amp. Then run one of the outputs into the DVI-VGA converter which strips HDCP, and finally transcode from VGA to Component. All in all, you just spent more than the HDTivo cost.
Could you tell me more about this DVI-VGA converter? If this scenario works - it seems it will only work temporarily. Won't the content protection Gods flag the "HDMI distribution 1x2 amp" or the "DVI-VGA converter" as a pirate device?

I hope this really does work because it means I don't have to down-grade my projector to upgrade to HD-DVD or Blue-Ray. It could also mean that we won't get either HD-DVD or Blue-Ray until they come up with a content protection system that would be smart enough not to allow such easy ways of by-passing it.

More details please!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The amp should pass HDCP encryption along, and the converter actually strips it out for now. Keep in mind though that it uses legitmate keys, which could per the standard be revoked in new hardware. That means that while it works today it might not work tomorrow. You can find them at Digital Connection.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
The amp should pass HDCP encryption along, and the converter actually strips it out for now. Keep in mind though that it uses legitmate keys, which could per the standard be revoked in new hardware. That means that while it works today it might not work tomorrow. You can find them at Digital Connection.
Oh well - because it is a legitimate HDCP device doesn't it pretty much guarantee that it will become a $400 paper weight when or if HD-DVD or Blue-Ray becomes available?

Why would they invest so much in killing analog only to allow a $400 little box to give analog access back?

I'm a little surprised that Digital Connection doesn't have at least some fine print that explains the details.

·
Registered
133 Posts
[Keep in mind though that it uses legitimate keys, which could per the standard be revoked in new hardware. That means that while it works today it might not work tomorrow.]

Does that mean if I buy an HDCP compliant TV today , I should worry about future obsolescence.

At some point before the signal hits my eyes it must be converted to analog.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
No, that means that a device like the afore mentioned converter box could be disabled through key revocation. It's doubtful it would ever influence your display device if it is HDCP compliant. To be strictly technical, those devices violate the HDCP agreement if I understand it correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new here and I have had this question in my head for awhile now. So I decided to look things up on the web and found this forum. This thread looks like it might be on par with my question. Anyways, here is my question.

I have a 3 year old Mitsbushi 55inch rear projection TV that I just love and have had no problems with it. I am wondering if there is a way to get a new DVD player with the HDMI connections to work on my set which doesn't have the connections?

What I am looking for is that "upconversion" to 720p or 1080i instead of where I am at with 480p and using component connectors. My TV doesn't have HDMI, only component, s-video or composite. I am thinking I am screwed and will have to buy a new TV in the future to view HD-DVD or Blu-Ray because of this new connector.

Thanks for any help and keep it simple please, I am still learning all this stuff. And if this thread is in the wrong forum, I am sorry.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It's your lucky day. Get a Z/LG DVB318 and downrev it. It is great doing 720p via DVI on my PC monitor, 3' from my nose. It does DCDi well and they made the 'mistake' of outputting HD (upscaled) over component. I hear it does 1080i over component even better than 710p over DVI. (Mistake, means upscaling output via component is an HDCP bobo.) Oh, your are so lucky you asked and that I too found this solution. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Well, first this is both the wrong forum to ask the question in and you are jumping in on someone else's entirely unrelated thread ;). It's considered bad ettiquite. Second, there are some players like the 318 that do upscaling over component. Or you can build an HTPC to scale even better than a stand-alone. But either way, this is only for traditional DVDs and will have no use for any next generation stuff.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Quote:
No, that means that a device like the afore mentioned converter box could be disabled through key revocation. It's doubtful it would ever influence your display device if it is HDCP compliant. To be strictly technical, those devices violate the HDCP agreement if I understand it correctly.
Madpoet is correct, although the HDCP agreement he speaks about is one between two other companies and has nothing to do with the end user. Unfortunately, the Studios via AACS can hack into your legally owned and purchased gear and "break" it without your knowledge or permission and without any due process or recourse by the screwed end user. :(

I have an HDD500(Sony) and it passes all received HD content just fine at 1080i via its' component outputs. Why not use the component outputs and buy an inexpensive component video switcher which supports HDTV resolutions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.