AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone can explain why the DVD players that I've seen only upconvert using an HDMI connection? My understanding is that a component cable can pass 1080i (within AACS specifications) all day long and twice on Tuesday, and that the upconverting is done at the DVD player. So why can't I find a DVD player that supports upconverting through component?

My understanding is that HDMI wasn't designed for the benefit of you and me but for the motion picture industry that didn't want us to be able to copy digitially - but that's an aside.

If anyone knows of a DVD player that upconverts through component, please post.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are DVD players that can pass 1080i over component, but only for non-copy protected discs. The license agreements forbid this feature for copy protected discs (most every commercially sold DVD is encrypted).

That said, there are supposedly a few Chinese (unlicensed?) players that pass 1080i over component for any DVD, and supposedly some that can with an unofficial firmware, etc, but you are on shaky legal ground there. You'll need to do some research for more details.

Given that people are able to make bit-for-bit copies of protected DVDs with various (mostly illegal) software programs, it may seem odd that this component video restriction stands, but I don't expect it will be changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagoge /forum/post/0

There are DVD players...

My desire has nothing to do with infringing upon Hollywood's license as it does avoiding the current HDMI standard, which I understand is temperamental and buggy. Besides, my B&K receiver doesn't have HDMI and therefore I'd need to add an HDMI switch - another thing for the kids and wife to contend with just to watch TV.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee1993 /forum/post/0

Just run 480p from the DVD player through the component cables and let your TV do the upscailing. It's likely you can't tell the difference.

Agreed. I bought a panasonic upconverting DVD and monster HDMI cable. Side by side comparison with a 3 year old jvc progressive scan thru monster component video showed the panasonic thru HDMI to be better but only marginally. Certainly not enough to justify spending $275.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallee /forum/post/0

Agreed. I bought a panasonic upconverting DVD and monster HDMI cable. Side by side comparison with a 3 year old jvc progressive scan thru monster component video showed the panasonic thru HDMI to be better but only marginally. Certainly not enough to justify spending $275.
http://www.neodigits.com/

These folks make a DVD player that can output 1080i over component.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an aside, I just saw the Pioneer DVD (DV-400) upconverting DVD player. At less than $100. It's supposed to upconvert to 1080p but only with HDMI. Since they didn't have one available hooked up, I can't comment on PQ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This rule for DVD players is governed by the DVD CCA license terms, which requires that when protected content is output on a digital interface with a resolution >480p (or >576p if you're in Europe), then the DVD player may only do this on an approved digital interface. DVI HDCP and HDMI HDCP are among these approved interfaces. That's why component is locked down to 480p, and the upscaled video (again, only for protected content like movies) can only be viewed on HDMI.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HDMU_Org, that's a good, simple answer. It's not a technical limitation based on the laws of physics but an intentially designed limitation based on contract law. (It's not a bug; it's a feature.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.