AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 55hx800 and a BDP-S350 BR player. I am attempting to go HDMI into the TV and optical audio out to the HT receiver. I can get Dolby Digital to work through the HDMI but not DTS lossless audio. For DTS I need to go direct optical out from the Sony BR to the HT receiver. Should this work? I am attempting to use this method to compensate for the video 'input lag'.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Yamaha RX-V1 which does not have HDMI

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DTS works just fine with optical out of the Blu-Ray player to the HT receiver. It does not work with HDMI out of BE to TV then optical out of TV to HT receiver. Dolby digital does work this way but not DTS.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla /forum/post/19530255

OK, then HDMI to TV for video and optical to receiver (from Blu-ray, not from TV) to get audio.

As sdurani pointed out, you will not get lossless - but regular DTS and DD5.1 are pretty damned good

·
Registered
9,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla /forum/post/19529657

I have a Sony 55hx800 and a BDP-S350 BR player. I am attempting to go HDMI into the TV and optical audio out to the HT receiver. I can get Dolby Digital to work through the HDMI but not DTS lossless audio. For DTS I need to go direct optical out from the Sony BR to the HT receiver. Should this work? I am attempting to use this method to compensate for the video 'input lag'.
Quote:

Hi swantzilla, did you just purchased this BD player? If so and if possible return the player and get a BD player with 7.1 analog output. A Sony BDP-S550 will work if you want to stay with Sony brand.

·
Registered
22,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19530997

... return the player and get a BD player with 7.1 analog output.

and a receiver that has 7.1 analog inputs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I go direct from the BD player via optical to the HT receiver, DTS works. When I go from the BR player via HDMI to the TV then optical from the TV to the HT receiver, DTS does not work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19530997

Hi swantzilla, did you just purchased this BD player? If so and if possible return the player and get a BD player with 7.1 analog output. A Sony BDP-S570 will work if you want to stay with Sony brand.

I have an older S350 Sony BR player. I was thinking of going to the S470 to get the 3D capability. I could be wrong but is the only advantage of a S570 over a S470 is wireless internet?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla /forum/post/19531819

When I go direct from the BD player via optical to the HT receiver, DTS works. When I go from the BR player via HDMI to the TV then optical from the TV to the HT receiver, DTS does not work.

The TV is probably downmixing the 5.1 DTS codecs to stereo. There's no adjustment in the TV to make, unfortunately. You'll have to go direct from the player to the receiver for DTS.

Keep in mind there are lossy DTS codecs. That's what you're getting with optical.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla /forum/post/19531836

I have an older S350 Sony BR player. I was thinking of going to the S470 to get the 3D capability. I could be wrong but is the only advantage of a S570 over a S470 is wireless internet?

Yes, i believe thats the only difference. But you still won't get lossless (TrueHD/DTSHD-MA) audio. Check your receiver it should have 5.1 or 7.1 analog input.

I need to correct my post, the BD player suggested should have been S550 (which don't appear to be offer anymore). The S570 does not have 7.1 analog connection.

·
Registered
22,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19532178

Check your receiver it should have 5.1 or 7.1 analog input.

From Yammy site:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...v1/?mode=model

"6-CHANNEL INPUTS FOR EXTERNAL DECODER

The RX-V1's rear panel has input jacks to accommodate an external 6-channel decoder, making the receiver ready for DVD-Audio, or any other 5.1 channel format, should one be developed."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19532083

The TV is probably downmixing the 5.1 DTS codecs to stereo. There's no adjustment in the TV to make, unfortunately. You'll have to go direct from the player to the receiver for DTS.

Keep in mind there are lossy DTS codecs. That's what you're getting with optical.

Thanks for the info. So the TV passes Dolby Digital and not DTS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I originally had a smilar problem trying to route everything into the HDTV (PS3/XBOX/DVR) and having one optical output the sound from my HDTV to the Receiver. I noticed two problems.

1. My receiver wouldn't sound as good when watching BD movies. Also DTS would not work when trying certain sound settings on my PS3 (Bitstream vs. Linear)

2. For Best sound, when using a receiver with only Optical you must go directly from Blu-Ray player to your receiver.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wondering;

If the TV is just a pass-thru, why will it not pass DTS? It does pass Dolby Digital. I guess the TV really is not a pass-thru. Or is the issue HDMI? I am going to have to research this further. Thanks to all who read this thread and especially to all that replied.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swantzilla
Just wondering;

If the TV is just a pass-thru, why will it not pass DTS? It does pass Dolby Digital.
Probably has to do with the bitrates or something else in the DTS codec, I'm not sure. DTS is not as common as Dolby Digital, especially since Dolby Digital is also used in TV broadcasts (DTS is limited to optical discs for consumers.) So TV manufacturers probably just don't bother with it.

Also, are you sure it's Dolby Digital 5.1? Or is it just Dolby Digital 2.0? Check your receiver's display options. It could be your TV can't pass through 5.1 of any flavor.

·
Registered
22,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19538352

Also, are you sure it's Dolby Digital 5.1? Or is it just Dolby Digital 2.0? Check your receiver's display options. It could be your TV can't pass through 5.1 of any flavor.

or... is it actually PCM stereo and the AVR is engaging DPL (for "surround")?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.